More French Rules (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you think you're behind the time , then what should I say about me (or even US all French!) Nothing about it in the news. So unless you are someone having time to look for new laws/rules in magasines or on the internet, asking questions I would not even think of (is there a sticker for "angle mort" to be put?? Sounding to me like: will we have blue tomatoes in the future.... yeah right !) well then .... you just know nothing about it. And funnily I happened to learn about it in a previous thread.
I would not worry too much... Not a lot of people must know about it!

That said I find this rule quite good . Many a time I thought about putting a few words on the back of Max .... Something like : Oh, toi! T'as conscience que je suis gros et que je te vois pas quand tu me doubles ?!" Thing is .... too many words! I can't help being a tad agressive:boxing::blush::blush::france:
I was about to say Max must have broad shoulders to fit that lot on his back.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
what blind spot are you referring to?

I wonder the same thing.

I have parabolic mirrors which show a wide angle sideways and downwards. So have I got 'blind spots'? So do I need them?

The labels seem to show areas of danger at 30-40 degrees from the vehicle's view. Who rides/drives into the side of any vehicle?

Have any of you French Speakers/ Residents actually questioned any authorities as to the actual requirements for vehicles fitted with multiple mirrors? If, not would some of you please do so on behalf of the community.

Geoff

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
I wonder the same thing.

I have parabolic mirrors which show a wide angle sideways and downwards. So have I got 'blind spots'? So do I need them?

The labels seem to show areas of danger at 30-40 degrees from the vehicle's view. Who rides/drives into the side of any vehicle?

Have any of you French Speakers/ Residents actually questioned any authorities as to the actual requirements for vehicles fitted with multiple mirrors? If, not would some of you please do so on behalf of the community.

Geoff
exactly Geoff

with my dual mirrors i’m pretty confident I can see the full length down both sides, the camera sees to the rear and the windscreen and cab door windows looks after the front.

So unless the cyclist or pole vaulter has rammed into the back of the vehicle behind me and is somersaulting through the air above 3 mtrs towards my roof I think i’m covered 😉

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
By their sheer nature all mirrors see your blind spots but not all blind spots are seen by mirrors.
The actual 'blind spots' around HGVs are truly huge and by the same token you can be very close to a vehicle and still not be seen by the driver. When I was fleet driver training I occasionally 'taught' mini bus drivers for junior schools and I could put the driver in his/her seat and have 15 kids and the teacher around the outside of the vehicle and he/she couldnt see any of them. I could stand up to 200 feet behind a HGV and not be seen at all by the driver. How many times have you heard someone say 'he came out of nowhere' or 'where the hell did he come from'? He was always there its just that 'you' didnt see him. These signs are actually saying 'watch out mate, I may not be able to see you'.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Has certainly been in the French motorhome magazines . And have seen them on trucks . View attachment 470379View attachment 470380
I might have this wrong but isnt the text suggesting that its only for commercial vehicles? so which one would you stick on? you re clearly not a coach or a truck.

I'm starting to think that the prudent action is to get a set, keep them in the motorhome and if you get a gendarme that can actually be arsed, ask his/her advice while sticking them on; all the time moaning about your wealth ( lack off) and you ailments ( beaucoup)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A

The areas that we can't see when we look in our mirrors i.e blind spots or as the French call them 'Angles Mort'. The 'blind spot' stickers are to remind and show cyclists that there are areas where they can't be seen and to take care.
But you dont have blind spots on a motorhome unless its for really tiny people.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
If you're following a truck on a straight road and the truck snakes a couple of times within the lane, the driver is probably not reaching for a Yorkie or telephone, but having a look at you through his/her mirrors.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
So far I have looked at several threads on this subject and loads of opinions and I'm confused. Nothing new there really but I would very much like to know do I have to put stickers on my 4.5t MH or not. Any of our French members care to help please 🙏.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I might have this wrong but isnt the text suggesting that its only for commercial vehicles? so which one would you stick on? you re clearly not a coach or a truck.

I'm starting to think that the prudent action is to get a set, keep them in the motorhome and if you get a gendarme that can actually be arsed, ask his/her advice while sticking them on; all the time moaning about your wealth ( lack off) and you ailments ( beaucoup)
As far as I know it is coach.

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Previous rule, must carry breathalyser, that soon got thrown by the way side. Before that all vehicles must have head lights on at all times, that lasted about three minutes as the French refused to comply.
I remember having to paint my headlight yellow. (singular, motor bike)
Give it time, by the time we can travel again it will all be forgotten or the French will be ignoring it and treating it as another nanny state rule dreamt up by people with nothing better to do.

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
What if you have 360° cameras?
No blind spots so no stickers required???

Richard.
you can always try and debate the point with the gendarmes ... good luck.

Saw some blind spot stickers in the wild yesterday at Mortagne sur Gironde port, not a fan but not my problem 3.4t is ours.

Lots of motorhomes out and about, no Brits to be seen.

heads up for those who in the past have enjoyed the parking spaces in front of the beach at Saint George de Diddonne, the motorhome parking spaces have now been cancelled. Parking/camping is still available at the two site, one by the port and the other nearer town.

OP
OP
Paul Wilkins
May 14, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 794-T
Exp
Caravan owner moved on to Motorhome

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
This is nothing new, for donkeys years over here, long before reversing cameras, we would fit stickers to lorries stating "IF YOU CAN'T SEE MY MIRRORS, I CAN'T SEE YOU". I always thought them an excellent idea, but it never stopped idiot cyclists riding up the near side as you prepared to turn left, or pedestrians walking across the road directly in front of you below the windscreen. Accidents happen and expecting the brain dead morons to read a sticker and only then realise the danger will never happen. It is always the fault of the driver according to some, not a failure of intelligence in the injured/dead cyclist or pedestrian

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Has anyone come across these with suction cups?
1615553746511.png

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
No I would suggest the person has bought the suction bits from E Bay . Punched holes in the warnings and put through . Easily done but not sure how long they would stay there

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
No I would suggest the person has bought the suction bits from E Bay . Punched holes in the warnings and put through . Easily done but not sure how long they would stay there
No these are available in Germany and I will follow up there but I hoped for a UK supplier.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
More likely to put them on my vehicle but the some scrot is more likely to take them off....
Yes but they will only be on whilst I travel, not having that shitty graffiti on my van for any longer than it saves me from a gendarme!

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
I wonder the same thing.

Geoff
I read an article re the Angles Mort on the CAMH Forum. French implacable logic/dogma, so no 'except fir those with cameras, parabolic mirrors', just 'do it or be fined' and the regs stipulate where each sticker must be placed, depending on the type of vehicle. The Regs also provide great detail about the Fine Rules, discounted to €90 for payment electronically [3 days IIRC] with a longer period allowed for payment sent by post etc etc.

Many people posting suggested the Angles Mort would go the way of the Alcohol Test Kit, but who knows. First of all, Brits have to get into France [Decree to be issued today?], and Brits have to be allowed out to play, so plentyof time for clarity to emerge, or for confusion to be increased. As our neighbour next to our hovel says, with Gallic shrug, 'Ah, Stefan, c'est France et les francais'. And René is never wrong!

Steve

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
See hundreds of artics here from all over Europe and beyond and don't think we've seen these blindspot stickers on any of them.
Irish, Bulgarian,Lithuanian,Latvian,Rumanian,seen many here this week all with signs on.

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Does anyone know whether these things are available on peelable vinyl, which would obviously be a more palatable solution.
On a broader point, I am a cyclist and would never ride up the inside of any large vehicle at traffic lights. There have, however, been instances where I have stopped perfectly properly at the lights, only to have a large vehicle pull up alongside me and then try to beat me to the left turn. That's why we have advanced stop lines for cyclists.

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
I may order some yet not put them on. We shall see.

deleted79651

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
Does anyone know whether these things are available on peelable vinyl, which would obviously be a more palatable solution.
On a broader point, I am a cyclist and would never ride up the inside of any large vehicle at traffic lights. There have, however, been instances where I have stopped perfectly properly at the lights, only to have a large vehicle pull up alongside me and then try to beat me to the left turn. That's why we have advanced stop lines for cyclists.
I always stay in the centre of the lane at T. Lights, sitting roughly where the car handbrake would be, so that I don't get 'squeezed' when the Lights change. I rather like having my legs left where the midwife found them and have no wish to have them reshaped, especially after the NHS coughed up for 2 hip replacements ... :unsure: :LOL:

Steve

Nov 10, 2013
worcester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
If we have to use them. as from reading the relevant information it seems we do. I would be interested in purchasing a set with the suckers on as shown in the photograph above. If anyone finds a site where they can be purchased could they please put a link up on the forum.
Thanks in advance

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
If we have to use them. as from reading the relevant information it seems we do. I would be interested in purchasing a set with the suckers on as shown in the photograph above. If anyone finds a site where they can be purchased could they please put a link up on the forum.
Thanks in advance
See post #56 follow the link various types in the drop down order list.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back