Mopeka TankCheck - Bluetooth Gas Level Check (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The sensor is measuring from the bottom of the cylinder to where the liquid level is.
Try putting a bit of water in a glass and then tipping it to about 20 to 30 degrees and it will give you an illustration of why you get the low reading.
I understand that theory but ... shouldn't it be reading the 'centre' level and not the edge? If so then tipping wouldn't make any difference to the reading as the unit would 'tip' to the same angle as the cylinder and read in exactly the same centre level? Or does the unit read a wider area and therefore gives the lowest reading it gets?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I understand that theory but ... shouldn't it be reading the 'centre' level and not the edge? If so then tipping wouldn't make any difference to the reading as the unit would 'tip' to the same angle as the cylinder and read in exactly the same centre level? Or does the unit read a wider area and therefore gives the lowest reading it gets?

Sorry,I did not explain my thinking when I posted.
I think it works on scanning a wider rather than a pencil beam area, a bit like you see on pre-natal baby scans, so yes I think it picks up the lowest level across the scan and registers that.
My driveway has quite a slope to it and I get a much lower reading before I raise the front jacks to level the van on our drive.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry,I did not explain my thinking when I posted.
I think it works on scanning a wider rather than a pencil beam area, a bit like you see on pre-natal baby scans, so yes I think it picks up the lowest level across the scan and registers that.
My driveway has quite a slope to it and I get a much lower reading before I raise the front jacks to level the van on our drive.
I bow to your knowledge ... as I've never been pregnant I don't have a clue how the pre-natal scan works! Did you go into the record books for the first male to give birth? :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I too have never given birth but to be fair to Two on Tour isn’t it usually the bloke sat by the bed who gets shown the blurry photo of the unborn creature first, then faints?

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
As seen at the recent NEC Show - not as cheap as the Mopeka/Gas It versions but the price has come down on the Truma LevelControl as it now works direct to an app. too as well as to the iNet Box https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcontrol.html

1571763377619.png

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
As seen at the recent NEC Show - not as cheap as the Mopeka/Gas It versions but the Truma LevelControl now works direct to an app. too as well as to the iNet Box https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcontrol.html

Truma say that the LevelControl won't work with refillables, but the Mopeka version clearly does. Are Truma missing a trick here? Is this down to a more sophisticated Mopeka app or is the intelligence in the actual sensor itself?
It would be good to have some more choices here for use with underslung tanks and refillables.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Careful! This Truma one does not work on refillable tanks, unlike the Gas It/ Mopeka one.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Truma say that the LevelControl won't work with refillables, but the Mopeka version clearly does. Are Truma missing a trick here? Is this down to a more sophisticated Mopeka app or is the intelligence in the actual sensor itself?
It would be good to have some more choices here for use with underslung tanks and refillables.
Careful! This Truma one does not work on refillable tanks, unlike the Gas It/ Mopeka one.
Thank you both for that - very handy to know (y)

pwilmo

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 17, 2009
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Auto Roller 747
Exp
Since 2005
I have the Mopeka sensors working on two 11kg R67 refillable bottles with auto change over and they work a treat, faultlessly.
The reason I have them is on auto changeover is to see when one of the bottles is empty and the other low ... so as not to be caught out when both are empty.

Yes the bottles have a top mounted guage but just looking on a tablet or phone is so much easier. You can pair the bluetooth sensors to multiple devices, but do it when you are fitting the sensors, mine are paired with Amazon Fire tablet and the wife's phone.
As stated earlier the brit bottles don't need the spacers because the underside rim is high enough for the sensors to fit without being squashed.

They are brilliant, no maintenance, I got these 2 sensors for about 68dollars Amazon.COM,
I think lots of people think the sale is for only one sensor as pictured ,but it is definately TWO ...Lots cheaper even with postage than Amazon.UK.

MOPEKA now have MK2 version of Level indicator that can be programmed for different sized UK bottles. So if you dont want phone app you can have a gas level guage in your motorhome.
The MK1 only worked for one bottle size so was no use but the programmable new version would work well.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I have also had the Mopeka sytem and can confirm that the Truma sensor is a little more accurate and less prone to fluctuation (especially when not perfectly level).

Also that the Truma has a more solid bluetooth connection over the same distance.

Having said that, the Mopeka is more than capable 90% of the time.

Hope that helps somebody undecided between the two.

Graydo

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
I have also had the Mopeka sytem and can confirm that the Truma sensor is a little more accurate and less prone to fluctuation (especially when not perfectly level).

Also that the Truma has a more solid bluetooth connection over the same distance.

Having said that, the Mopeka is more than capable 90% of the time.

Hope that helps somebody undecided between the two.

Graydo

Thanks Graydo that's really interesting to know. However, for those with horizontal underslung tanks, is the Mopeka app the only one specifically able to select that tank configuration?

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
Thanks Graydo that's really interesting to know. However, for those with horizontal underslung tanks, is the Mopeka app the only one specifically able to select that tank configuration?
Can only check the Truma box info as manual is in my van in storage but it would appear that the Truma is gas bottle only.
However, it does also state on the box that it has to be used with the inet box (which I have) but I am sure that these sensors are sold as stand alone units and will work with the Truma app from the app store (but take that with a pinch of salt as I haven't tried)

Graydo

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Bought a Gasit refillable with the sensor. Filled up and it took a day to update the bottle being full on the app. Used it for a night and checked it on the morning to find it was down to 92%. All is well and good and a day later I checked the app again on my wife’s phone. It showed 100% full even though no gas had been added. Hadn’t been updated I thought. Checked my phone , same results.
Just had a thought as I was larking about with the VB full air system yesterday and perhaps the van not sitting level might have caused the app to play up. Further research required.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Bought a Gasit refillable with the sensor. Filled up and it took a day to update the bottle being full on the app. Used it for a night and checked it on the morning to find it was down to 92%. All is well and good and a day later I checked the app again on my wife’s phone. It showed 100% full even though no gas had been added. Hadn’t been updated I thought. Checked my phone , same results.
Just had a thought as I was larking about with the VB full air system yesterday and perhaps the van not sitting level might have caused the app to play up. Further research required.

I'm using a Mopeka sensor which the Gas-it is a rebadged version, and I have found it to be very accurate and as you are finding out, too much so at times in that it registers the changes in both ambient air pressure and temperature has on the liquid state of the LPG and as you say may be the parking angle difference from when you last parked up and viewed the tank level. I'm sure this is what you are seeing.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
I'm using a Mopeka sensor which the Gas-it is a rebadged version, and I have found it to be very accurate and as you are finding out, too much so at times in that it registers the changes in both ambient air pressure and temperature has on the liquid state of the LPG and as you say may be the parking angle difference from when you last parked up and viewed the tank level. I'm sure this is what you are seeing.
Levelled it up and detached sensor and loo and behold the app updated to 83% full. However after an hour it was a 100% full again. Madra Mia?

M J

Oct 4, 2016
Wiltshire UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
since 2014
Works well except in low temperatures !
Below 5c the gas level reading fluctuates from correct to empty
As the temperature rises it then works correctly
(11kg refillable gaslow)

MJ

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Works well except in low temperatures !
Below 5c the gas level reading fluctuates from correct to empty
As the temperature rises it then works correctly
(11kg refillable gaslow)

MJ
Three degrees here but it goes from correct to full. ??

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
The variability problem seems to have disappeared and the tank is always full 100%. Now I know that is incorrect but what’s a boy to do when everybody is on holiday till the 6th January. Will probably re attach the sensor every second day in a pathetic attempt to validate the purchase price. ?

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
I see that Gas-IT are now explicitly saying that the bluetooth Mopeka sensor should not be used on underslung tanks - BUT it looks like this may be because the sensor is not waterproof. For those Funsters who have been using it with underslung tanks for the last 6 months, have you encountered any issues with water ingress into the sensor?

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I see that Gas-IT are now explicitly saying that the bluetooth Mopeka sensor should not be used on underslung tanks - BUT it looks like this may be because the sensor is not waterproof. For those Funsters who have been using it with underslung tanks for the last 6 months, have you encountered any issues with water ingress into the sensor?

No problems with mine. Probably for two reasons, firstly I covered the face with a clear Fablon type film and the sensor itself is held in place with an aluminium cover which also gives it protection from water ingress.

The cover is secured with a self tapper, the clamp was used while I was test fitting the cover.

1590700539997.png

1590700555975.png

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks for the really helpful photos. Looks like I can go ahead and order one, but may need to make my own cover for it.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
You will need to find the sweet spot on the underside of the tank to mount the sensor that is clear of the internals of the tank to get it to read correctly. I would advise you to make a cover as it's main job it to keep the sensor held in place so it does not become dislodged or fall off due to rough roads or speed bumps.
The cover is dead easy to make. Mine is made from 1mm aluminium sheet and is about an inch wider than the sensor to give a little more protection from grot likely to be thrown up on the underside of the van, but saying that, it keeps remarkable clean around that area.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back