Mopeka TankCheck - Bluetooth Gas Level Check (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wondered why there wasn't a Bluetooth version of the Truma LevelControl https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-levelcontrol.html that didn't need the iNetBox & works via an App but now there is https://mopeka.com/

sensor-phone.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We haven't tried or even seen this product but a lot of chat about it & interest in it on German Facebook groups. It was launched at the Stuttgart CMT Motorhome Show & the price there was €96 for two sensors & a display unit for inside the motorhome.

Last edited:

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Looks really useful. Anybody willing to try it and give us a review:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It looks like the sensor is placed under the bottles, hence the need for spacers to lift them up to give space for it. It would be interesting to know IF it will work on refillables with the 'gubbings' they have inside as I suspect this is meant for non-user refillables.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seems they only do the rings for us sized cylinders in pounds or gallons. Not in litres and kilograms

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Both theses monitors seem to cost a lot. The mopeka is not avalable in the UK.
You can get them from Amazon @around £80 including post and import from USA for two sensors the reviews are good but that’s Amazon.
IMHO I don’t think the display is worth buying as it’s not very good.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Both theses monitors seem to cost a lot. The mopeka is not avalable in the UK.
Not on Amazon UK but possible to buy from Amazon.com Link Removed as mentioned by @Speve above & prices are much cheaper than Truma system especially as it works with just an App not an iNetBox which is also expensive if don't already have it fitted.
Just tried a dummy order direct from Mopeka but shipping only listed to USA & Canada.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
seems they only do the rings for us sized cylinders in pounds or gallons. Not in litres and kilograms
There is the option of using the aluminium spacers but may not be needed depending on bottle type & clearance underneath - the American bottles have a very shallow base & the Sensors look quite slim.

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
I bought one!

Amazon.com will ship them to the UK - £40 for a single sensor incl. delivery and import duties.

Link Removed

First impressions are that it's brilliant! :D

(Excuse the video, it's not something I normally do)

Seems to work fine in a 6kg GasIt bottle. It reads contents as a percentage of bottle height, so you should be able to get it to work with most cylinders.

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Wonder if it will work with alugas tanks if it can’t magnetically attach to bottom of tank?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Looks a great bit of kit for the money @Misterg

I wonder if it works with an underslung tank? (question was asked on Amazon but can't see a confirmed answer). If you're over this way, I guess it would only take a minute to find out (y)

EDIT: It does according to manufacturer "and it works on horizontal tank up to 30″ diameter, too" (). They also do a wifi version now.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Looks a great bit of kit for the money @Misterg

I wonder if it works with an underslung tank? (question was asked on Amazon but can't see a confirmed answer). If you're over this way, I guess it would only take a minute to find out (y)

EDIT: It does according to manufacturer "and it works on horizontal tank up to 30″ diameter, too" (). They also do a wifi version now.

That was why a asked my previous question to Misterg and I found the answer in the on-line app instructions.

I have sent a couple of questions to the manufacturer asking if the sensor unit is waterproof and as I have sprayed my tank with anti-stone chip will the magnets have enough power to grip through the coating.

As our LED tank level read out is so inaccurate (reads empty when it gets down to half full) I have ordered one anyway as if necessary I can just pop it on to measure the level and then take it off having done so.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
@Misterg thank you for your feedback & excellent video (y) It's great news that it works that well with a refillable bottle as that means it will be helpful to many more Funsters.

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wonder if it will work with alugas tanks if it can’t magnetically attach to bottom of tank?
It does work according to what we have read from German owners - only problem is fixing the magnetic sensor to the underneath but this is how some have overcome that:

53050626_2145253995540624_6595099029502164992_n.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
More info. here about fitting to aluminium gas bottles https://www.lieblingswomo.de/bluetooth-gas-anzeige/

53189239_2145254045540619_2517389703527792640_n.jpg

The strips are rubber backed to help keep the sensor in place & cost €14.90 plus p&p https://www.lieblingswomo.de/shop/gas-inhaltsanzeige/ (if right size for your aluminium bottle) but sure some of you will come up with a good DIY version - if you do please post your versions here! :hi5:
The positioning of the sensor is important for accurate readings - the photo of the strip fitted to the bottle base above has pen markings on it made when fitting.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
spend 10 minutes reading the reviews before wasting money. there are multiple complaints on quality and working

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it does work on an underslung (ie horizontal) tank then it won't read correctly as I assume it works on the top level of the liquid, so when it full it should show 100%, but at 75% it would actually be more than 75% of the liquid, at 50% it should be accurate but, and this is the issue I see, at 25% it will actually have quite a bit be LESS than that. This is because the cylinder is on it's side so the curvature will come into play. You could work out so when it reads 25% you know what it means in reality ... maths wasn't my strong point but I've found this which may help:

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-in-a-horizontal-cylinder

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have sent a couple of questions to the manufacturer asking if the sensor unit is waterproof and as I have sprayed my tank with anti-stone chip will the magnets have enough power to grip through the coating.

Just had a reply back from Mopeka support.

"Hello Paul this is Mopeka Support. The standard sensors are water resistant but not water proof. As for the Rubberized spray that could be an issue. It could still work depending on how thick it is. If it is an issue you could scratch off a small spot on the bottom where you place it."

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If it does work on an underslung (ie horizontal) tank then it won't read correctly as I assume it works on the top level of the liquid, so when it full it should show 100%, but at 75% it would actually be more than 75% of the liquid, at 50% it should be accurate but, and this is the issue I see, at 25% it will actually have quite a bit be LESS than that. This is because the cylinder is on it's side so the curvature will come into play. You could work out so when it reads 25% you know what it means in reality ... maths wasn't my strong point but I've found this which may help:

https://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/volume-in-a-horizontal-cylinder

I agree, but for me I'm really only interested in when I need to seriously start looking for somewhere to refill, plus I can note the percentage on the app to the amount the service station pump reads as the tank fills. Not ideal but a workable solution for me. Same problem of course on the float sender reading with the Led lights gauge we use at present which is not linear either.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
More info. here about fitting to aluminium gas bottles https://www.lieblingswomo.de/bluetooth-gas-anzeige/

53189239_2145254045540619_2517389703527792640_n.jpg

The strips are rubber backed to help keep the sensor in place & cost €14.90 plus p&p https://www.lieblingswomo.de/shop/gas-inhaltsanzeige/ (if right size for your aluminium bottle) but sure some of you will come up with a good DIY version - if you do please post your versions here! :hi5:
The positioning of the sensor is important for accurate readings - the photo of the strip fitted to the bottle base above has pen markings on it made when fitting.
Thanks @Wombles i think ill get 2 ordered then

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
It seems a reasonable idea, but if you have two bottles the most reliable method is when one runs out ........ switch over and fill up soon........never let me down ;)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have a monitor in my gas rings.

When I light one, if it shows blue flames, I have gas... (y)

When I try to light one and it doesn't have any flames at all, my gas has run out. ;)

JJ :cool:

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC

I would have said that they would provided you can keep them in place - looks like the problem has been solved already :)

Can you set the tank height in a menu to a custom height of your own choosing ?

Yes, you can.

I see you've had a reply: I would have said it definitely wasn't waterproof. I think the coating will be a problem getting good contact between the transducer and the tank. If the coating was dead smooth you might be in with a chance, but normal stone-chip that I am familiar with is far from smooth - I think you'd have to clean a spot for it to sit. The other problem with underslung tanks would be making sure that it stays in place - I wouldn't rate its chances of staying there without some sort of a cover over it.

@Wissel - you're welcome to try it when our paths next cross :)

Thanks folks - glad you found it useful, and I hope that anything ordered off the back of this lives up to expectations! :D2

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It seems a reasonable idea, but if you have two bottles the most reliable method is when one runs out ........ switch over and fill up soon........never let me down ;)
Of course that depends on there being a garage nearby where you can fill up.
Sometimes you have to travel a bit or wait days before you can fill up.
That’s happened to me a few times, so I ordered two gauges, they arrived here in France from USA in 3 days!
Knowing I had one full 11 kg tank and one maybe half empty 11 kg tank, I fitted the gauges.
Here’s the result

My only concern is that the batteries show half full, but I have a few on order.

0E4E8E2A-753E-45D7-9C61-653720F0C4BE.png

Misterg

Free Member
Dec 8, 2017
N Wales
Funster No
MH
Self build PVC
Looking good.

My only concern is that the batteries show half full,

I'm not sure if you're aware, but you can change the refresh rate of the sensor (from 1(?) second to 10.5 seconds) which should help a little with battery life. The refresh rate appears near the bottom of the settings screen and you can toggle it by pressing the button on the sensor.

BTW: Mine took 8 days to arrive (ordered on 3rd delivered on 12th March).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back