LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What is the minimum payload you would find acceptable / manageable?
As you’ve sold your moho you must have your “stuff” in the spare room I would imagine so you could weigh it? When you pick your new one up you need to weigh it with either nothing in the tanks and the Glenn or full tanks (fuel, water,gas) and the Glenn. This will give you your baseline weight. Then it’s plus you and your “stuff” remembering the said “stuff” is absolutely everything you carry.
Whatever suits you won’t suit others as your going to find out as this thread developes, you’ve seen our setup and we have 1600kgs of payload. (y)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
For us, we would weigh with all “extras/accessories “ fitted, batteries, solar satellite etc and would want a minimum of 500kg payload on top of this, preferably 700kg, we have found you can never have enough payload!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If I were looking for a van with 2 people to travel in on normal European holiday for a couple of months, I would expect at least 500kgs before awning, extra battery solars etc and hope to have 350 kgs left (before wife diesel water cutlery clothing books maps etc) and then be able to take the wife on a naturist holiday where we ate out every night and showered on site. This should leave me with the ability to bring some wine back with me.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You more that you have the more you will use that is for sure, the spec for our van says 1400kg and i reckon there might be 400kg left so I have to say at least 1000kg, next time I think we are going for 2000kg.

Martin

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We upgraded as once weight in by dealer (including driver filled fuel all fixed accessories) we wanted/needed 500 kg. And after upgrade we had approx. 515kg

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
a minimum of 500kg in adittion to driver, passenger, fuel and some water

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks Peeps. We were used to having lots of payload on our old van. We've been looking at one with lots of bells and whistles but it leaves the payload tight. We think it will be around 500kg once we're on and have fuel and water. It would have to be up plated to achieve that but the seller is willing to do that. So just mulling it all over. I'm not keen on the faff of having to weigh everything that goes on.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I want unlimited so I don’t have to worry about it. (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thanks Peeps. We were used to having lots of payload on our old van. We've been looking at one with lots of bells and whistles but it leaves the payload tight. We think it will be around 500kg once we're on and have fuel and water. It would have to be up plated to achieve that but the seller is willing to do that. So just mulling it all over. I'm not keen on the faff of having to weigh everything that goes on.
Hi to you both what van are you looking at? Good luck with the change exciting times ahead.(y)(y)(y)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We have never weighed the van empty but with us fully loaded for a trip so all our kit and full of everything water, fuel etc we are bang on 3500kg.

We have weighed ourselves on a local weighbridge and a roll over one in Norway and the same both times,

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
I look at payload in four stages.
Firstly, when you buy the van/motorhome the additions may have eaten into the advertised payload, including any you ask for.
Secondly you have to add the weight you have no choice with - part of your own weight if you weigh more than 75kg, and the passenger (either all or part). Then there’s fuel and minimum water.
I would then want at least 200kg for clothes, food, cooking utensils, bikes,
Lastly you would want some spare payload for, as Donald Rumsfeld said, known unknowns - you don’t know what you will add but you know you will add things... for us these were a Gasflow system, Automatic Levellers, an inverter. We may add a satellite in future.
So, looking at the above we would have needed at least 750kg.
We chose a 4.5t vehicle for this reason.

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If I were looking for a van with 2 people to travel in on normal European holiday for a couple of months, I would expect at least 500kgs before awning, extra battery solars etc and hope to have 350 kgs left (before wife diesel water cutlery clothing books maps etc) and then be able to take the wife on a naturist holiday where we ate out every night and showered on site. This should leave me with the ability to bring some wine back with me.
I should have added, that I have about 1200 kgs of payload as we do take clothes occasionally, never eat out, have a motorbike and the wife is overweight

OP
OP
Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
As you’ve sold your moho you must have your “stuff” in the spare room I would imagine so you could weigh it? When you pick your new one up you need to weigh it with either nothing in the tanks and the Glenn or full tanks (fuel, water,gas) and the Glenn. This will give you your baseline weight. Then it’s plus you and your “stuff” remembering the said “stuff” is absolutely everything you carry.
Whatever suits you won’t suit others as your going to find out as this thread developes, you’ve seen our setup and we have 1600kgs of payload. (y)
Hi Paul, your lovely van is like a pantechnicon. :D No way are we buying anything so big. Yes all our stuff is in the spare room. It may come down to weighing it all, :( but its not my style to be that precise.

We have never weighed the van empty but with us fully loaded for a trip so all our kit and full of everything water, fuel etc we are bang on 3500kg.
We have weighed ourselves on a local weighbridge and a roll over one in Norway and the same both times,
Wow Carolyn what if you decide to take on an extra bottle of gin, or indeed a slab of Christmas cake:rofl:. I've not iced ours yet so could well still have it by May(y) However if we buy this new van I may have to carry it on a trailer.:rofl:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi @Speve. Are you off bird watching?
We're looking at another Hymer
Yup we’re down at El Rocio now weather is brilliant warm and sunny for the last three weeks.
As you know we now have a B678DL and the payload is really good even with a few extras on board but is a 4500kg van.the payload left after taking off full air suspension sat dish,extra leisure battery,two solar panels and Towbar was 740kg and we managed to load up for this tour of four months with the two of us both dogs all tanks full 4360kg.?
Good luck with the van post us some pictures when you get her?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Same here, scarey isn't it!
I prefer to describe it as ‘skilful’ :)

@Hils and Glenns the official mass in running order for our van (as per Hymer) is 2800kg , on top of this we have an awning, satellite dish, extra battery, tv , refillable gas tanks solar panels plus levellers.

If you tell mrjenben (via confidential pm ) what the van is you are looking at he can pm you with the official info for it.

Last edited:

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Is this a stealth move on behalf of the NMC?
No it’s from mrjenben himself who can be trusted not to share the info , he has his laptop at the ready all his Hymer info is to hand :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Payload is what you add to the basic vehicle, so you need to consider all the permanently bolted-on stuff (solar, sat dish, gas system, etc). Then add in water if you want to take some and fuel. Now add passengers and regular equipment. Finally (but I may have forgotten something already) food and drink. If squeezed for payload, never take anything "just in case" and even if payload is not an issue, never consider taking the MIL.

With discipline, you might get away with 350kg for two people but 500kg would make life more comfortable. Anything more is a luxury.

Last edited:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Payload is like your garden shed
With a 6x4 shed, it gets full and one dreams of an 8x6

Next door has an 8x6 but theirs is full and they want a 12x10

There will,of course, always be someone on the street with a 20 x 20 who believes EVERYONE should have one or they are fools :D

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Deleted post

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you want to travel with full tanks, 700 kg, 500 kg for your stuff & 200 kg for options & extras. Like Alan we have a Hymer B678DL payload of over 1350 kg. Fully loaded we havbearound 400 -500 kg spare a nice postion to be it.
Not just pay load rear axle loading can be critical on a lot of vans.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... all our stuff is in the spare room. It may come down to weighing it all, :( but its not my style to be that precise.
You don't need to weigh everything individually, just lump the smaller stuff into boxes, washing baskets, bags etc and weigh them, it shouldn't take much time to do so and then at least you'll know what your basic kit is in order to make an educated decision, without doing this you really don't have a clue.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back