Minibus conversion - recommendations for base vehicle (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks, no it won't be a daily driver, as I have two more vehicles, I own a 90's retro classic Fiat Coupe + a normal 'boring' car for work/shopping etc. This will be used for Festivals & Holidays in the UK.

Yes I have been looking at Crew cabs, also Police vans & Ambulances, but there isn't much within my budget that is in decent condition and/or very high miles - I don't want to have to do a restoration project on the base vehicle before I even start the conversion - I don't have the time, or budget. I want as little work to do on the base vehicle as possible. So maybe I do need to look at spending more initially on the base vehicle.
As most know on here we have a Renault master ambulance, so a bit biased
Edit don't know what happened there, posted before I had finished but it is underneath.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
As most know on here we have a Renault master ambulance, so a bit biased, but it had 200 oddthousand on the clock when I bought it , never missed a beat and done getting on for 300 now.
Just built across the windows no problem, it is true there isn't much room underneath though

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Also, there is a difference between RWD and DRW (dual rear wheel) in terms of what proportion of the vehicle weight is pressing down on driven wheels.

FWD tag axle = <40% driven
FWD = ~45% driven
RWD = ~55% driven
DRW = ~70% driven
AWD = 100% driven

These figures are directly proportional to the amount of traction you will have available to get off a muddy field.
But then rear wheel drive adds ~100kg to the weight of the vehicle. And you've got to the extra 20cm of height to step up into the van every time because the floor has to got to clear the driveshaft. Extra weight on a driven wheel is good on a firm surface, so would help on wet grass. If you're sinking into the mud though, the extra weight could just dig you in faster.

Roy Boy

Free Member
Aug 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Boxer 2berth
Yes indeed and when I got mine 4x4 vans where none existent so I went for next best thing and got a dually RWD.
Even been able to pull FWD's off rally fields.
I just turn my FWD Boxer round and drive of the field in reverse

Reactions: 68c

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
One of the nicest to drive not easily found today was the Toyota Caetano.
For private use possibly requires an alternative diff as the bus was geared for mainly local use, although I drove them across Europe keeping below 100 kph for comfort.
Above that many complaints of poor engine life, had two in the 250000k region with no substantial repairs.
Air door had a 12v compressor, that was not the best but serviceable.
For comfort and adaptable body configuration often thought of converting one myself.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I just turn my FWD Boxer round and drive of the field in reverse
Yes I have heard a few on here say similar.... however I have never witnessed a successful extraction using this method although seen a few try but to no avail and had to wait for assistance.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Why.!!!!!
Because dually are usually greater than 3.5t and if you don't have grandfather rights (pre 1997 licence) or are over 70 then you can't drive it.

Cheers James

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Because dually are usually greater than 3.5t and if you don't have grandfather rights (pre 1997 licence) or are over 70 then you can't drive it.

Cheers James
When you say dually do you mean twin rear wheels?

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》

Cheers James
Vauxhall Movano....DRW (dually)
3.5t gvw .. .....

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Grummyb Drove past Merthyr Tydfil yesterday and thought the yard was an ambulance depot there were so many of them

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
When you say dually do you mean twin rear wheels?
Yes dual rear wheels.

Most transits 4.6t sprinters 4.5t and Lt 46 are all dual rear wheels.

There are exceptions of course.

Cheers James

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Yes dual rear wheels.

Most transits 4.6t sprinters 4.5t and Lt 46 are all dual rear wheels.

There are exceptions of course.

Cheers James
mk7 transit twin wheel plated @ 3.5t from ford. mine is 7.2m 6 berth 2950kg unlaiden but been up plated to 3850 kg haven’t seen anyone using mk8 twin wheel, Some fwd mk8 are unable to up plated or tow.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Then I don't understand the comment, there are plenty of duallys @3.5t.

Yes, but they're pretty useless for payload, just downplated at factory from the actually useful 4250kg or 4500kg version. You'd struggle to convert.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
But then rear wheel drive adds ~100kg to the weight of the vehicle. And you've got to the extra 20cm of height to step up into the van every time because the floor has to got to clear the driveshaft. Extra weight on a driven wheel is good on a firm surface, so would help on wet grass. If you're sinking into the mud though, the extra weight could just dig you in faster.

Yes, dual rear wheels add a significant weight. The point of them is that they can increase the maximum allowed weight by far more, typically around 1000kg. That's why then downplating back down to 3500kg is pretty insane. I guess it also makes then great for towing which might be a consideration for some of them, but you'd still need B+E and potentially operator licencing/tachos etc.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I didn't mention payload, I was commenting on the post that stated most dual rear wheel vehicles are over 3.5t, which isn't correct.

I'd think that most DRW are over 3.5t.

However, there are plenty of examples which are not.

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Well I went & viewed a 17 seater minibus & after driving it & measuring my drive I decided against it, it would be a a bit too big/cumbersome, also I may have to use this vehicle nown again for other reasons i.e. work/shopping etc if I'm ever caught off-the-road & a minibus would be completely impractical for this.

So I have gone for a ex-council LWB, extra high roof MK7 Transit 2.4 TDCi, it's an ex-welfare/mess van so already has a lot of stuff already done i.e. windows/electrics/insulation & alot of stuff I can re-use after I rip everything out & also a lot of unwanted stuff I can sell on EBay.

It's left me with quite a bit extra left over budget wise too, so I can do more & possibly even get it re-sprayed

Thanks all, looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into it over the winter!

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions, which I will post in the relevant sections

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Well I went & viewed a 17 seater minibus & after driving it & measuring my drive I decided against it, it would be a a bit too big/cumbersome, also I may have to use this vehicle nown again for other reasons i.e. work/shopping etc if I'm ever caught off-the-road & a minibus would be completely impractical for this.

So I have gone for a ex-council LWB, extra high roof MK7 Transit 2.4 TDCi, it's an ex-welfare/mess van so already has a lot of stuff already done i.e. windows/electrics/insulation & alot of stuff I can re-use after I rip everything out & also a lot of unwanted stuff I can sell on EBay.

It's left me with quite a bit extra left over budget wise too, so I can do more & possibly even get it re-sprayed

Thanks all, looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into it over the winter!

I'm sure I'll have loads of questions, which I will post in the relevant sections

Do we get any "before" pictures?

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Yes I will put some on. paid a bit more than a private sale - but It's in good nick & only has 87K on from new. Got a fresh MOT / underseal / delivery & a 3000 mile warranty thrown in

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Yes I will put some on. paid a bit more than a private sale - but It's in good nick & only has 87K on from new. Got a fresh MOT / underseal / delivery & a 3000 mile warranty thrown in
Sounds like a good buy.

My garage advised the Mk7 transit before the dpf / adblue stuff kicked in..

Not much to go wrong tbh apart from rust. I'm planning on undersealing mine before winter.

Cheers James

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Sounds like a good buy.

My garage advised the Mk7 transit before the dpf / adblue stuff kicked in..

Not much to go wrong tbh apart from rust. I'm planning on undersealing mine before winter.

Cheers James
Yes I did quite a bit of research beforehand, the MK7 is (or was) the most popular van in the UK so parts are fairly cheap with lots of supplier choice. This one looks pretty solid apart from some surface underneath - there were no advisories on the MOT regarding corrosion anywhere. I've got my old Ford F-super diagnostic cable & software from when I had my Mondeo, so I assume I can read the Engine ECU on the Transit with this.

Attachments

• 1630673023808.png
    1630673023808.png
    443.3 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread