Minibus conversion - recommendations for base vehicle (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Hello all, new member here.

I am planning to do a Minibus to motorhome conversion over this winter & as I've never done anything like this before I need some advice & recommendation on what to use as a base vehicle. I have a budget of around 7K max for the bus, so obviously there are hundreds around within that price bracket, some with quite low miles too.

Regarding criteria, I appreciate there won't be a 'best of all worlds' regarding Torque/Economy/Reliability/Comfort etc, I will say I prefer performance over economy all day long, as it's not going to do very high miles.

These are some of the Minibuses I have been looking at:

Transit
Renault Master
Merc Sprinter
LDV Maxus
Iveco Daily

So I would welcome any good/bad info on the above, then there is the model to choose aswel. I definitely want something with a good bit of torque.

If anyone has any recommendations what exactly to go for (or what to avoid!) this will be welcomed.

Regarding Class - after conversion I assume C1? - if you are not carrying any passengers?

What is the law regarding weight? (or weight changes)

Thank-you in advance

Jamie

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I'd avoid the Renault master having had one and read lots of renault forums!!

Also the maxis is very crude ok for a 1-3k van but not worth any more.

Mk 7 transits are common rust is the worst problem engines are general fairly straightforward and reliable.

Sprinters are ok but prone to superficial rust and electrical wngine gremlins.

Also look at vw lt35/46 and crafter's.

Not to mention Seville vans such as pugeot boxer, Citroen relay, fiat Ducato. Fairly reliable, wide width to sleep across wise.

Iveco daily are good but a truck like to drive with a higher position and ladder chassis.

Cheers James

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
<Broken link removed>

Something like this ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Excellent thanks,

That's interesting I thought the VW's would be out of my price range for a decent one!

I had sort-of ruled out the Iveco & Renault - unless a really good example came up, mainly been looking at the MK7 transits, most common aswel. I chose the minibus idea as there is obviously less work involved to convert with all the windows & roof/side trimmed already in place - just got to lay a new floor, as I assume minibuses have some sort of insulation already fitted.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I have a mk8 transit about £10k+

Yes they have limited insulation.

I've used mine spring - autumn will see what it's like in winter.

VW are good.

Old ones are reliable and new ones are smoother.

Cheers James

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
What size are you after? Smaller daily driver or larger live aboard?

Cheers James

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think crew cabs make better conversions than minibuses. Minibuses have too many windows, which are hard to insulate and can prevent installation of furniture. You can blank them off and insulate anyway, I guess, but most of a motorhome side should be wall, not glass.

Don't be put off too much from the Renault Master. I have a Vauxhall Movano, which is the same thing (right down to all the parts being stamped Renault, except the badges). I quite like it really. The only real problems are that there are few spaces underneath for underslung tanks, compared with some other base vehicles. This was less of an issue for me as I wanted full winterisation, so all my water tanks are fully onboard anyway. However, if you want a summer van and don't want to use precious onboard space for water and waste, they can be less good than some other options.

When I was looking for base vehicles, there was a massive lack of choice mid market. You could get really cheap and nasty looking high mileage stuff for peanuts, or spend a fortune on nearly new. However, between 5K and 12K there was almost nothing for sale, coupled with the fact that you almost always needed to add VAT once you'd gone through the mid-market desert. I'm not sure if things have changed since.

If you've got the cash, try to get Euro VI, for low emissions zones.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If using all year round id seriously think about the windows. Also any insulation it has in roof and walls won't be enough and if like the stuff i removed from mine it could very well be holding moisture .

For fair weather use you may well be fine.

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
Thanks, no it won't be a daily driver, as I have two more vehicles, I own a 90's retro classic Fiat Coupe + a normal 'boring' car for work/shopping etc. This will be used for Festivals & Holidays in the UK.

Yes I have been looking at Crew cabs, also Police vans & Ambulances, but there isn't much within my budget that is in decent condition and/or very high miles - I don't want to have to do a restoration project on the base vehicle before I even start the conversion - I don't have the time, or budget. I want as little work to do on the base vehicle as possible. So maybe I do need to look at spending more initially on the base vehicle.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks, no it won't be a daily driver, as I have two more vehicles, I own a 90's retro classic Fiat Coupe + a normal 'boring' car for work/shopping etc. This will be used for Festivals & Holidays in the UK.

Yes I have been looking at Crew cabs, also Police vans & Ambulances, but there isn't much within my budget that is in decent condition and/or very high miles - I don't want to have to do a restoration project on the base vehicle before I even start the conversion - I don't have the time, or budget. I want as little work to do on the base vehicle as possible. So maybe I do need to look at spending more initially on the base vehicle.

I took a police riot van, which got me a few toys, like a substantial air conditioning system (which I'm still thinking of converting to 230V for campsite use), a diesel heater, the right number of windows, a flexible double floor with tracking which could mount as many of the single seats supplied wherever I wanted them. You also got a decent documented service history. Mechanically it has been sound. The anti-brick acrylic side windows turn out to be excellent at not having much condensation in winter.

The downside was VAT (although almost no-one was selling anything to avoid that) and holes where riot and police equipment had been bolted on (plus the fully functional 2 person cell with life-support fan and remote locking).

However, I've just looked at the supplier I used and prices have gone up and it seems many of them have been selling before they've even managed to put the photos up... The pick on there today is probably a Iveco Daily LWB prison van. 3 litre auto box. £8,995 + VAT. 136,000 miles 2011.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i would always start with a van and fit double glazed windows where i need them unless the mini bus was substantially cheaper

OP
OP
J
Aug 23, 2021
Nuneaton, UK
Funster No
MH
Minibus Conversion
I chose the Minibus option as it will only be used in the fair weather months, so the amount of windows & quality of insulation isn't so much of a deal breaker (and it will be kitted out with a Diesel heater or two for the cold night) & you can get a decent one pretty cheap - which leaves me more for the conversion

Yes I would like a fully kitted Ex police van, but the real good ones are 10K+ & as said, most are sold as soon as advertised.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I'd avoid the Renault master having had one and read lots of renault forums!!
Sorry need to disagree... I have a Vauxhall version of the Master (Movano) and it has been 100% reliable over the last 5yrs.

Mr and Mrs O

Free Member
Dec 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Deposit is paid
Exp
Newbies
We looked at this minibus option for a conversion but what came to mind was the insulation factor and also payload as surely all that glass must weigh more tha thin steel panelling?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Sorry need to disagree... I have a Vauxhall version of the Master (Movano) and it has been 100% reliable over the last 5yrs.
Maybe I was being too general.

I had the 2.2 engine which Renault only produced for a couple of years. It has problems in cars too.

2.5 / 2.8 seem ok and often have high milages .

Cheers James

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Maybe I was being too general.

I had the 2.2 engine which Renault only produced for a couple of years. It has problems in cars too.

2.5 / 2.8 seem ok and often have high milages .

Cheers James
Been fitted with 2.3 engines for a while now. 👍👍👍👍

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I had an old one!!!
There are loads of ex immigration Renault vans around most with high milages.

Worth a look.

Cheers James

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess 2nd hand values are buoyant due to good export markets at the moment, even scrap is fetching good money.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I guess 2nd hand values are buoyant due to good export markets at the moment, even scrap is fetching good money.

It's not just for export. Basically, there's a massive shortage of vans (and drivers) for deliveries. Prices for used vans are mental.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as I assume minibuses have some sort of insulation already fitted.
But hardly worth talking abot
i would always start with a van and fit double glazed windows where i need them unless the mini bus was substantially cheaper
so would I.That is what I did here.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
For sheer reliability the Sprinter is very hard to beat, most folks who quote their poor reliability are working on second hand info & feel that they have an axe to grind, works vehicles get deep scratches or doors scraped on kerbs etc which go unrepaired & therefor they rust. Plenty of TLC & you'd be fine.
I have ran Sprinter ambulances & a Sprinter camper which was faultless in 4 years of sporadic running, it sometimes sat for ages & still started instantly.

The Ducato base is fine to sleep across if your a Munchkin or a double amputee, the lack of ergonomics in the cab beggar belief, but there are some on here who swear by them, this is based on a few thousand miles per year & their Peugeot or Fiat cars which are equally bad.

The VW Crafter is excellent, but the engines in the LT is very rough & agricultural, avoid.

Transit is a fine vehicle if a bit underpowered, they respond well to tuning & rust isn't an issue if you pick up a good one & use a proper rustproof agent (NOT WAXOYL).

I have very little experience of Renault, so have to rely on the guidance of others.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
IMV Another considerstion nobody seems to mention is "FWD or RWD. I am a staunch RWD fan and would not consider a front wheel drive so my choices are somewhat limited.
What you intend to do in your moho I believe dictates what you require.
If you happy to stay on the black stuff and always use hardstandings then a FWD will suffice. If however you are like me who spends 90% of the time on rally fields/CL's/ THS/ Shows then RWD is the only way to go.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
IMV Another considerstion nobody seems to mention is "FWD or RWD. I am a staunch RWD fan and would not consider a front wheel drive so my choices are somewhat limited.
What you intend to do in your moho I believe dictates what you require.
If you happy to stay on the black stuff and always use hardstandings then a FWD will suffice. If however you are like me who spends 90% of the time on rally fields/CL's/ THS/ Shows then RWD is the only way to go.

Also, there is a difference between RWD and DRW (dual rear wheel) in terms of what proportion of the vehicle weight is pressing down on driven wheels.

FWD tag axle = <40% driven
FWD = ~45% driven
RWD = ~55% driven
DRW = ~70% driven
AWD = 100% driven

These figures are directly proportional to the amount of traction you will have available to get off a muddy field.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Also, there is a difference between RWD and DRW (dual rear wheel) in terms of what proportion of the vehicle weight is pressing down on driven wheels.

FWD = ~45% driven
RWD = ~55% driven
DRW = ~70% driven
AWD = 100% driven

These figures are directly proportional to the amount of traction you will have available to get off a muddy field.
Yes indeed and when I got mine 4x4 vans where none existent so I went for next best thing and got a dually RWD.
Even been able to pull FWD's off rally fields.

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013

If your looking at ambulances and don't mind a bit of a gamble Merthyr Tydfil car auctions always seem to have lots of them

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

FWD = ~45% driven
RWD = ~55% driven
DRW = ~70% driven
AWD = 100% driven

You will need a c1 lisense for a dually generally.

I don't have any trouble sleeping east west on in my mk8 transit.

Most if the vans I found were 150k and knackered.

Minibuses were in much better condition like for like.....

Mine was 10k for a 90k 2015 bus however looking today such vans are near 15k+ vat!

Cheers James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back