LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
^^^^^^^ wot e sed. Used my unit in the new forest - renound area for no signal at all - even phone and had good 4g and streaming quality with this unit. That was just the mifi lent against the overhead cab bed. Now the roof aerial is fitted, I used mine the other day again with nothing on the phones and had 4 bars of 4g. Again, as above Vodafone 100gb deal. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
which is best mifi
Depends where you live. In Scotland Central Belt, all carriers work mostly well. But go North, then forget Three. EE gets patchy so Vodafone and O2 better bets. But there are large areas of Scotland with no useful mobile signal.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
When you look at HUAWEI 5577 there are 5577c/ 5577s etc what is the difference .ta

Korgrocker

Free Member
Jan 22, 2019
Dunfermline
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
I'm using an EE MiFi device and live just west of Dunfermline, Scotland. Strong EE 4G signal and I've just done a speed check, Download 20.33Mb/s, Upload 5.39 Mb/s, Ping 42 ms. But it does vary according to weather and time of day. When we're away in MoHo we leave it plugged into a USB port (5V 1A) all the time with 6 devices connected (2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 2 Kindles). But it's good enough for my domestic needs as well. So it's making me think it's about time I ditched my land line. I'm on a 50Gb per month data package - more than I need most of the time. As a check, I also have a good 4G Vodafone signal - I've just tethered my Mac to my iPhone and a speed check gives Download 13.67 Mb/s, Upload 9.84 Mb/s, Ping 62ms. So it boils down to where you live and what your expectations are. The limitation is more about the 4G signal strength than the MiFi device I think.

Attachments

• IMG_9540.jpg
    IMG_9540.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Excuse my ignorance, how effective are these abroad, Mainly France, Spain and Portugal

thanks

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Excuse my ignorance, how effective are these abroad, Mainly France, Spain and Portugal

A MiFi device is generally no better/worse than a mobile phone at obtaining a cellular signal and thus their effectiveness is dependant upon the coverage of network provider who's SIM card you are using. Abroad, Three SIM's are limited to 3G in many countries and you can only use their 'roaming partners'. A Vodafone or EE SIM can use any network in any country, so arguably better abroad than in their home country since you can roam between networks.

One of the main benefits of an unlocked (rather than network provided) MiFi is the ability to add an external antenna which is something you can't do with a mobile phone as well as freeing up your phone for other tasks.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

thanks
Brillant, sometimes have to change networks. We have a Poynting MIMO LTE roof mounted aerial and have been up in the mountains with neither of our phones picking up a data or comms signal but could get 3g on the MiFi.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Would the window mounted antenna work up on skylight or outside of skylight on a magnetic bracket?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Would the window mounted antenna work up on skylight or outside of skylight on a magnetic bracket?

It's common to mount on a Skylight (plastic is RF transparent), you could put it outside - but it's not weatherproof.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
So it could lay flat in plastic bag?

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
So it could lay flat in plastic bag?

Well, yes, but laying it flat on the roof in a plastic bag would be the same as suction mounting it internally on a skylight in that respect. There isn't really any compromise to a permanently fitted roof antenna. RF cable does not lend itself to being trapped through windows/rooflights and as such we don't recommend any temporary externally mounted antennas.

It sounds as if (from your other thread) that you already have a MiFi and that it's working well - the MiFi's themselves are all very similar (except for antenna sockets and screens etc) so I would keep with that until such time as you have an issue with it or are looking for a fitted antenna solution.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Just come back from 6 weeks in Spain. 5577c with a Poynting external antenna and a Vodafone SIM. Excellent signal everywhere.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Many thanks Addiei have 4g huawei but not with the screen giving info I like the look at your suggestion and I’m not sure I have arial ports on mine I will check in morn and come back to you.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Many thanks Addiei have 4g huawei but not with the screen giving info I like the look at your suggestion and I’m not sure I have arial ports on mine I will check in morn and come back to you.

You can get the HUAWEI app, and that gives you the info that is, would be, displayed on the screen.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would just get a cheap one and see if it does the job we have a basic huawei worked well past 3 years and we aren't too precious if we sometimes don't get a signal.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I tried a Netgear indoor antenna that you suction to the window and it didn’t help at all, so sent it back for a refund.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I tried a Netgear indoor antenna that you suction to the window and it didn’t help at all, so sent it back for a refund.
Note that if the signal is already good, the aerial will do nothing (or may even be marginally worse!). If, however you've got a spotty signal, it makes a massive difference. On a few occasions (like in the Lake District) my phone couldn't get anything, but the MiFi could still pull 7Mb/s.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Just get a mobile dongle from 3, Vodafone etc. These expensive "Mifi" kits are all pretty bits of plastic that are powered by a mobile dongle anyway.
It will save you a lot of money just doing a mobile data contract with a dongle.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just get a mobile dongle from 3, Vodafone etc. These expensive "Mifi" kits are all pretty bits of plastic that are powered by a mobile dongle anyway.
It will save you a lot of money just doing a mobile data contract with a dongle.
Only if using it through a laptop, dongles won’t work without.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Only if using it through a laptop, dongles won’t work without.
Then just use your phone with a data plan. That would then enable you to connect all your devices to it.

OP
OP
scotty1

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Think I’ll go for window antenna it is a bit more versatile and if we change van we can take with us?

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Think I’ll go for window antenna it is a bit more versatile and if we change van we can take with us?

This is what we have along with the mifi.

It does improve the signal a bit. A couple of weeks ago we were on a campsite with no phone signal and nothing directly on the mifi but we managed to get a good connection using the antenna with the mifi and were able to make calls through wifi using this (both sims with three).

I also use it where we do have a signal on the mifi but it's only weak. It usually improves the strength by a couple of bars and speeds things up a bit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back