MH Snobishness - does it exist? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 20, 2018
Findon Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charima 111
Exp
I think snobbery does exist, but that is due to snobs owning motorhomes and no different to anything else. British society is full of them. We talk to anyone who will talk to us :)
24 years ago we had a VW Type 2 motorhome, it was amazing, we went everywhere in her. We stopped one night on the beach along the coast from Brighton (good olde days when you could do this) when we parked up we were the only ones on the beach. On opening the curtains in the morning we were surprised to find another 3 motorhomes. One was nothing short of a complete bucket, held together with tape and string, another was a Talbot Highlander and a nice new Hymer. The door opened on the "bucket" and an oriental lady came out and headed down to the water, she nodded as she passed, a few minutes later a man came out of the van who came across and said, "good morning" he commented on how nice a spot it was and how he camped here a few times. he was originally from the area but owned a few premises in Hamburg, we eventually, through conversation established he owned a number of brothels in Hamburg. We were soon joined by the owners of the Talbot who were two guys visiting Brighton and who appeared to be a couple, followed by the owners of the nice new shiny Hymer who were keen to engage in conversation, turned out he was a Church of England Priest from Birmingham.
We spent a good hour all chatting when the Priests' wife appeared with a pot of tea and coffee and hot toast asking if anyone would join them for breakfast. We spent the morning together and we said we were heading off and starting the trip back up North. We were asked if we could not stay another night as the two guys were planning a BBQ on the beach that night. We thought about it and enjoyed the company so much we stayed and what a night we had. We sat on the beach until the early hours of the morning. The conversation was as diverse as the company, we had an amazing time.
On leaving the next day we made an agreement that we would meet next year at the same place and same date. We exchanged contact details and sure enough the following year we all met up. The only exception being Hans, the Hamburg Businessman, he brought a different lady friend!
We have all continued this tradition and this year will be the 25th year that we have all met up. We can no longer meet on the original location, but we meet at Brighton Caravan Club Site. Unfortunately, Elizabeth, the Priests' wife passed away a few years ago, but he still attends. Also Hans' has never in 24 years brought the same guest with him twice.
So yes, there is snobbery in the motorhome community, just like everywhere else in British society. However, there is also a great sense of community, regardless of any of the social barriers we see, people just want to enjoy the pastime and have a passion to help others who have the same passion.
Great story, great perspective. Be open minded and open hearted. If we ever see you on the road we'll say high. However, unlike Hans I will always have the same lady with me,

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's not good for us then. We drive a French van which means we have the choice to either surrender or run away.
Well at least we have both options.... there is a third one - collaborate. My (very French) Secretary when I worked in Geneva defined a French war hero as one that did not collaborate with the invading forces. It turned out that her father was a very brave resistance fighter decorated by DeGaulle after the war

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
1999 Winnebago Adventurer, Not in my opinion, any way over the top?. Light Oak and Muted Furnishings?.
upload_2018-2-8_10-3-16.jpeg

upload_2018-2-8_10-4-39.jpeg

:D2

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Have you heard the one about the Scotsman, the Priest, the Pimp and the gay couple.................what did they have in common?
Motorhoming !,!,
Brilliant turn of events. Love it.
I think it just shows how you conduct yourself and interact with others is important not what you drive.@stewartwebr

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
As for snobs, someone once said to me "perception is reality" which freaked me out a bit. If you perceive someone's reaction to you as snobbish, that is your reality, but you may be doing yourself a disservice.

I think this is very true. If a person in an expensive motorhome doesn't wave/speak/smile it might be that they're doing something else at the time, didn't see in time, was lost at the time, fed up at the time, etc, etc, yet it might be perceived as snobbishness by some.

Given the same circumstances a person who was driving an old vehicle wouldn't be judged the same way.

We smile, wave and speak to folk whenever we can but sometimes, due to the reasons above, we might not. I think its unfair to judge the travellers by their vehicles, whether they cost hundreds of thousands or a few hundred.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I did not wave at other trucks and vans when I was driving them, and I think the other drivers would have thought it strange if I had, unless they were colleagues.

So what is different about driving a MH - of any value or marque?

Geoff

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I think snobbery does exist, but that is due to snobs owning motorhomes and no different to anything else. British society is full of them. We talk to anyone who will talk to us :)
24 years ago we had a VW Type 2 motorhome, it was amazing, we went everywhere in her. We stopped one night on the beach along the coast from Brighton (good olde days when you could do this) when we parked up we were the only ones on the beach. On opening the curtains in the morning we were surprised to find another 3 motorhomes. One was nothing short of a complete bucket, held together with tape and string, another was a Talbot Highlander and a nice new Hymer. The door opened on the "bucket" and an oriental lady came out and headed down to the water, she nodded as she passed, a few minutes later a man came out of the van who came across and said, "good morning" he commented on how nice a spot it was and how he camped here a few times. he was originally from the area but owned a few premises in Hamburg, we eventually, through conversation established he owned a number of brothels in Hamburg. We were soon joined by the owners of the Talbot who were two guys visiting Brighton and who appeared to be a couple, followed by the owners of the nice new shiny Hymer who were keen to engage in conversation, turned out he was a Church of England Priest from Birmingham.
We spent a good hour all chatting when the Priests' wife appeared with a pot of tea and coffee and hot toast asking if anyone would join them for breakfast. We spent the morning together and we said we were heading off and starting the trip back up North. We were asked if we could not stay another night as the two guys were planning a BBQ on the beach that night. We thought about it and enjoyed the company so much we stayed and what a night we had. We sat on the beach until the early hours of the morning. The conversation was as diverse as the company, we had an amazing time.
On leaving the next day we made an agreement that we would meet next year at the same place and same date. We exchanged contact details and sure enough the following year we all met up. The only exception being Hans, the Hamburg Businessman, he brought a different lady friend!
We have all continued this tradition and this year will be the 25th year that we have all met up. We can no longer meet on the original location, but we meet at Brighton Caravan Club Site. Unfortunately, Elizabeth, the Priests' wife passed away a few years ago, but he still attends. Also Hans' has never in 24 years brought the same guest with him twice.
So yes, there is snobbery in the motorhome community, just like everywhere else in British society. However, there is also a great sense of community, regardless of any of the social barriers we see, people just want to enjoy the pastime and have a passion to help others who have the same passion.
Great story. Do you still meet up with the oriental lady with the Motorhome that was nothing short of a complete bucket, held together with tape and string, on your annual pilgrimage?(y):rolleyes:

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I did not wave at other trucks and vans when I was driving them, and I think the other drivers would have thought it strange if I had, unless they were colleagues.

So what is different about driving a MH - of any value or marque?

Geoff
drive a defender , and they wave all over the world :)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Great story. Do you still meet up with the oriental lady with the Motorhome that was nothing short of a complete bucket, held together with tape and string, on your annual pilgrimage?(y):rolleyes:

The oriental lady was the chosen companion of Hans' we never met her again. Not only has Hans' never turned up with the same woman I should have added that he has also never turned up with the same motorhome, and everyone of them have been held together with tape and string. last years model had a rear window which we believe was only being held in place by an Australian flag. He spends 2 months in the UK each summer and he purchases the motorhome just for that visit. I assume they are scrapped at the end. Being honest they should be scrapped before he buys them....ooops is that me being a snob :)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Apologies if I don't wave. It's not snobbery, it's purely that by the time I've realised the 'van' on the opposite carriageway is a Moho, they've gone past. Saying that however, I did wave to 2 pvcs on the way to Jasmin Camping today, so I must be getting better at spotting them!
my wife waves at tesco delivery vans

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I have brought a new bottle of whisky to take to p/boro. That is because a certain duck is not going. LOL.

Jan 20, 2018
Findon Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charima 111
Exp

Ooops, I'm new to this form of communication and thought I was being subtle, I'm now in trouble not just from you but from my wife, who explained that I should have posted a 'funny'
which I will do in future. I thought my comment would be seen in the general context and flow of Stewarts post. Apologies for any misunderstanding !

Here's a question ? will we ever be able now to communicate with words alone, are we limited to the world of emoji's ? But then I don't know whether your 'Harsh' comment was subtle and you forgot to add a smiley, help I'm going down a spiral of confusion ! oh :sneaky:

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
Ooops, I'm new to this form of communication and thought I was being subtle, I'm now in trouble not just from you but from my wife, who explained that I should have posted a 'funny'
which I will do in future. I thought my comment would be seen in the general context and flow of Stewarts post. Apologies for any misunderstanding !

Here's a question ? will we ever be able now to communicate with words alone, are we limited to the world of emoji's ? But then I don't know whether your 'Harsh' comment was subtle and you forgot to add a smiley, help I'm going down a spiral of confusion ! oh :sneaky:

In my view, an allegation of any kind of "exposure" or even "snobbery" when it is most likely unjustified, together with TEXT IN CAPITALS is to be be considered harsh. :giggler:

No harm done :blusher:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
In my view, an allegation of any kind of "exposure" or even "snobbery" when it is most likely unjustified, together with TEXT IN CAPITALS is to be be considered harsh. :giggler:
:

It was a joke - not an allegation.

It was in response to Stuart's tongue in cheek quip and was similarly tongue in cheek.

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I do not think of non communication as snobbery but some people prefer their own company, we always say Hello to who ever is next to us then it is up to them if they want to reply, if not then do not wave goodbye to us when you leave.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have brought a new bottle of whisky to take to p/boro. That is because a certain duck is not going. LOL.

Oh yes I am. Will be swallowing salt tablets just to get that extra bit of thirst ......

It is indeed. I may well come back from our European adventure early just to partake. Suppose I could fly back to Stansted and hire a car for the day.

Well as you know, Cruiser willingly parting with scotch is an occasion to be treasured. Last time, it was at gunpoint.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

No worries. (y)

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
It was a joke - not an allegation.

It was in response to Stuart's tongue in cheek quip and was similarly tongue in cheek.

Ah, I get it now. That's is why it is so important to chat to each other; so that we can make ourselves clear and understood; shall I call you now? :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back