MH Snobishness - does it exist? (3 Viewers)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I do not know if this comment will be clasified as 'snobbish'.

I do talk about the quality that I appreciate in our N+B, and do discuus why we like the layout which suits our needs, both on forums and in person. I do this to congratulate the designers and workers who created this , not to claim kudos for choosing it, although I am very thankful that I did.

However I do not denigrate other owners for their choice of MH, because I do not know their reasons - whether it be finance, parking space, driving licence, wish to sleep in separate beds etc.

Geoff

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Have followed this thread and some posts have prompted me to say that there is little or no snobishness and others make me think it's quite prevalent but really, motorhoming just reflects society. I will talk to anybody whatever their vehicle, most engage in conversation while some take a dislike to me and move away but that's life. I am reminded of a motorhomer parked next to us and we started chatting, soon obvious that he could out talk even me. I eventually complimented him on his shiny clean mh. Thanks said he, yours isn't bad for its age, what a 57 plate nearly 10 years old. Oh said i, without thinking, it's really a 15 plate. With that he turned and walked away and never spoke to me again all week. Still not sure what that was. On a plus point somebody pitched a real old oddity next on other side, a couple even more eccentric than us, a real delight to get to know.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Is he the one to right of the 3 in his photo, if so it wasn't him. Shame really.
Nah....... he is the even older one in the pinky coloured top in the middle. A good trick is to make him laugh hard and whilst he is struggling for breath, nick his drink whilst he isn’t looking. He simply thinks that he has finished it so gets another. Have spent a whole evening getting free drinks from @cruiser - generous chap, albeit unknowingly :rofl:

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Don't know why I am being singled out on this after all these months, I didn't start the thread but just answered the question and I replied as I found but at the time my findings were generally the majority opinion but no one else has been singled out.:(

@chaser dont worry mate it’s only words and not everyone is against you, give it a few days & 'they’ll' be worrying someone else! :)

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
@chaser dont worry mate it’s only words and not everyone is against you, give it a few days & 'they’ll' be worrying someone else! :)

I assume that’s aimed at me?

How am I ‘worrying’ Chaser?

He wrote some extremely contentious posts and I responded. Is that not allowed?

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
The newer high end Eurovans seem to be heading in the US direction , with regard to spec, and the US RVs are improving in the Aesthetic appeal , with exception of where they are "up specced"
from the POV of the owner , where taste is questionable to say the least . Even Morelo is offering a little slide out :)
Here's a slide out

slide.jpg

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I am going to bring some really strong cough meds.. To the next meet. I will hang on to my drink. I have never found any one to proud to drink my scotch , in or out of my motorhome. Just some that like to drink Pimms instead. But @joka250 They will tell you that once you have meet me you will never forget me. LOL

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am going to bring some really strong cough meds.. To the next meet. I will hang on to my drink. I have never found any one to proud to drink my scotch , in or out of my motorhome. Just some that like to drink Pimms instead. But @joka250 They will tell you that once you have meet me you will never forget me. LOL
We drink your scotch mostly because it is free!! :beerchug:

Cheers mate

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I'll remember that. In Northampton next Wednesday I'll pop round.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
"Never forget me..." I had trouble like that with the police in the 70's,glad to say they all grew up,and the "Younger" police occifers,could not keep up.(had a Reliant Scimitar) even some aircraft could not keep up with that,it was sold on after a friend of the wife, on a bus they they were on,witnessed me overtaking it on a double white line on a blind bend.Some people had no spirit of adventure,even then.
Tea Bag.
PS. Yes,there is snobishness,but then again,i have yet to meet anyone who is a member of this Club......... Could it be me ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(y)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

I assume that’s aimed at me?

How am I ‘worrying’ Chaser?

He wrote some extremely contentious posts and I responded. Is that not allowed?

The thing with the written word is every one is entitled to a opinion and when it's given in general and not aimed at any one individual it's not breaking Jims Rule 1.

As Chaser wonders around his very nice farm with lots of land and boys toys of all sorts of descriptions I really don't think he will worry to much.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Griff, you are right on all counts there. One point about the Marshals is that they have a very big job to do in a fairly short time which is akin to herding cats. Where you pitch is really luck of the draw and determined by when you arrive and very rarely can requests be granted as it simply mucks up the whole system which is based on very limited available space and leads to chaos parking and everyone unhappy. Hats off to all marshals, I’ve done it and whilst most people accept things there are always exceptions that have to be dealt with and sometimes it is very hard to be diplomatic.

I remember when your lovely van was new we had a few positioning issues as @cruiser wanted to park as close a possible so that some of the shinyness would jump across to his van. It was good banter, as expected of MHF.:hi5:

I am assuming "hard to be Diplomatic is aimed at me", if it is then shouting your mouth off so all and sundry is can hear and get them sniggering acceptable ( ie, shouting he can park on the road for all I care ") I don't , I call it downright rude, and talk of pressure in this particular part of Marshalling at that time, I was not asking for a particular pitch, only not to park under a Oak tree, which when in leaf spews out sap like varnish.

Tony A.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I am assuming "hard to be Diplomatic is aimed at me", if it is then shouting your mouth off so all and sundry is can hear and get them sniggering acceptable ( ie, shouting he can park on the road for all I care ") I don't , I call it downright rude, and talk of pressure in this particular part of Marshalling at that time, I was not asking for a particular pitch, only not to park under a Oak tree, which when in leaf spews out sap like varnish.

Tony A.
No it was NOT aimed at you, let us be totally clear on that, OK? I was not there and do not know the circumstances on either side.

It was a general comment based on my own fairly limited experiences of marshalling, which is much much harder than I ever though it would be. As above, I can’t comment of your own circumstances but generally, there are a lot of vans to be accommodated in what is usually a very limited space. I would recommend everyone have a go at marshalling; it is a real eye opener

Mar 15, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B ML T-780
Exp
Since 2017
The only marshalling that I ever saw that looked really hard was the Ops Team parking jumbo jets at Heathrow in the rain and at night using only two table tennis bats!

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear what could go wrong. You might bump into @DuxDeluxe. With out a drink in his hand. Sorry @joka250 . Was out all day. If you are in Northampton Any time send me a pm. And I will meet up with you. But beware we have a very large guard dog called Thomas. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(n)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Oh dear what could go wrong. You might bump into @DuxDeluxe. With out a drink in his hand. Sorry @joka250 . Was out all day. If you are in Northampton Any time send me a pm. And I will meet up with you. But beware we have a very large guard dog called Thomas. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:(n)
@joka250 if you do visit @cruiser then be sure to arrive with a dirty car/van. We found out that Thomas the dog makes a really excellent car wash brush, perfect for doing that awkward bit under the Luton. What you really need to be aware of is "Psychoparrot".............

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
No it was NOT aimed at you, let us be totally clear on that, OK? I was not there and do not know the circumstances on either side.

It was a general comment based on my own fairly limited experiences of marshalling, which is much much harder than I ever though it would be. As above, I can’t comment of your own circumstances but generally, there are a lot of vans to be accommodated in what is usually a very limited space. I would recommend everyone have a go at marshalling; it is a real eye opener

Let me be clear It seemed like it (the aim), I realise planning something like that is quite hard for some, what is harder is "trying to cut a piece of steel with a Banana" !! (joke) end of.
Tony A.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh dear my parrot is confined to a cage . The dog is loose . And he can give a nasty lick.:ROFLMAO:

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
My input on this. I think its more complicated than just snobbishness. I'll try to explain my way of thinking.

I returned to motorhoming in 2016 after a break of many years. The last time that I was out in one before that would have been somewhere around 1980. I cant remember the exact year. Back then, we always referred to them as either "vans" or "Dormobiles." They were simple things. The last one I had just had a place to sleep, a methylated spirits cooker, and a gallon plastic bottle with drinking water. When on the Campsite, there was nothing much to do other than talk to others. So we did. Even after all this time has passed, I still have contact with some that I met and are still alive.

Fast forward to today. nowadays, even the smallest Camper has all the attributes of home, and many even add to them. As most are aware, its not uncommon to have tv's, internet, and other modern trappings. It seems to me that these things are really responsible for keeping people occupied. The art of face-to-face conversation is becoming dying art! It seems to me that many are simply lacking the self-confidence needed to chat to someone in person, rather than over internet.

When we get somewhere, why not switch off our mobiles, forget all the modern trappings and just simply talk to each other?

Its not going to be very long before someone posts "why cut off my nose to spite my face" when they read the suggestion of keeping things simple!:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back