Mercedes Vario 814 Build - Our New Fulltime Home (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Good to see you doing a thread on it.

Not the quietest drive as the van currently has no floor, but with earplugs it was fine.
At least it had a cab & you didn't need a flying helmet & goggles.
Not even decided if I'll add electric windows or central locking yet
For the cost of the kits & ease of fitting whilst building it ,it would be a mistake not to in my opinion. I did both on my last mk1 Ducato. All still worked 6 years later.

**I'd also insulate/deaden the door skins as well whilst fitting the window & door kits . makes a difference

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Going to use a bit of a mix.

I'll fill all the ribs with whatever goes in best (either closed cell foam or recycled stuff), then add a layer of glued foam to the walls and ceiling. This is more precautionary to make sure there are no gaps where condensation can form.

Then 50mm PIR looks like it will fit about perfect.
Don't forget decent wiring conduit if it will fit, 40mm waste would be ideal.

Lesanda

Deceased RIP
Mar 29, 2019
Howden UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache.
Exp
35 years caravanning 4years in MH. 10 years sailing around Greece.
I'm going to fit sound deadening all around (I have in my current van) before insulating (y)

The rain head will be plumbed to an iMass instant water heater - again, the same as we have in our current van.
Great to see you are running this thread on here looking at the job you did on the bodges on Tams new van you'll make a great job. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out with interest.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
First saw some Mazda SUV's in that colour in Spain last year and thought that looks awesome.
I've got a 4" used fencing brush might it be handy for applying the paint?! Full self build look!🤣🤣🤣 Raptor paint or bitumen if from Yorkshire!!

Many more self build tips from the tool!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Going to use a bit of a mix.

I'll fill all the ribs with whatever goes in best (either closed cell foam or recycled stuff), then add a layer of glued foam to the walls and ceiling. This is more precautionary to make sure there are no gaps where condensation can form.

Then 50mm PIR looks like it will fit about perfect.
With all that I can't see panels moving so don't see the need for sound deadening and the associated weight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Whilst I remember ... I saw some nifty ideas when we visited the Lincoln show last September, this was one I particularly liked where plates etc were stored in the 'cavity' above the kitchen unit:

camper side plate storage.jpg

Oct 29, 2021
Chesterfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autocruise Rhythm
Exp
Most of my life in one form or another
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. I followed the link in your first post and read the story of hiw the van got to its present state.
Youve certainly got lots of work ahead nut from whst ive seen youll no doubt do a fantastic job 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
ASFAIK rockwool type insulation is best for sound because the rigid board can transfer vibration ( soundwaves) but closed cell gives much more bang for size in U Values.
How about both.....

Kingspan between the beams and then foil across the beans to prevent thermal bridging and accostic vibration.

Just a thought.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
With all that I can't see panels moving so don't see the need for sound deadening and the associated weight
I should have made what I wrote clearer - the foam going over all the panels will act as the sound deadening. I'll use this or similar:

ASFAIK rockwool type insulation is best for sound because the rigid board can transfer vibration ( soundwaves) but closed cell gives much more bang for size in U Values.
The trouble with rockwool is it can sag if it gets moisture in it. A great insulator as you say, but not ideal in a van IMO.
How about both.....

Kingspan between the beams and then foil across the beans to prevent thermal bridging and accostic vibration.

Just a thought.
The beams will be filled and have the initial foam lining covering them (the foam will go from front to back of van) which should work well stopping thermal bridging. Then the PIR between the beams.

The PIR already has a foil coating. I'll then add foil across the beams to create a complete vapour barrier. This is how my current van is insulated and after 9 years it's still keeps cooler in the summer than almost every van I've been in (important with a dog):

IMG_20180514_160516.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I should have made what I wrote clearer - the foam going over all the panels will act as the sound deadening. I'll use this or similar:

The trouble with rockwool is it can sag if it gets moisture in it. A great insulator as you say, but not ideal in a van IMO.

The beams will be filled and have the initial foam lining covering them (the foam will go from front to back of van) which should work well stopping thermal bridging. Then the PIR between the beams.

The PIR already has a foil coating. I'll then add foil across the beams to create a complete vapour barrier. This is how my current van is insulated and after 9 years it's still keeps cooler in the summer than almost every van I've been in (important with a dog):

View attachment 615970
I was recently mouse hunting in a well known UK Coachbuilt and not surprised to find that they use rockwool but was totally shocked to find so little of it, they must have shared one roll between several builds.

I was commenting for the benefit of other readers, I'm not at all surprised that you re starting to get the hang of converting :)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Have a look at dodo mat. It works out cheaper if you buy hole roll. I used 6 rolls on our van and used it on the floor, walls, ceiling and over the cab to. The 10mm it’s a acoustic thermal, looks the same with the one you linked above. Over that, I used recycled plastic bottles wool. Very easy for cavities and crevices, it glued very well with trim adhesive, and stays in shape. I closed all up with laminate flooring reinforced underlay, it’s about 4mm thick, a foil foam backed with mesh reinforcement. Then all seams actis 3” tape. Other good tape is velux or cromar, the one you use on roofing membrane. All insulation was about 600 quid. I would not use rigid anything because vibrations needs to be absorbed, and gaps are difficult to seal or mate to tricky shapes, leaving to much voids and bridges.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As a lot of you know, I bought Northernraider Vario from him a few weeks ago and I promised to do a thread on the build. So here it starts.

I've always loved and wanted a Vario, but the state the bodywork can be in scares the hell out of me. Because of this, I've never come close to buying one. Tam had already done most of the work on his that I find terrifying. Not only that, he had documented it all here on Fun with 100's of images of the work in various stages.

When it looked like it might be available, it was just too tempting :giggle:

A few conversations and the sale was agreed. Tam would bring his new Palace down to me to fix a bodge the previous owner had done, then I'd jump in with him up to Scotland to collect my new home.

300 miles later and the Vario is here at my workshop. Not the quietest drive as the van currently has no floor, but with earplugs it was fine. The van drives beautifully, the gearbox is great, the brakes and running gear are good - it was far better than I'd hoped. I mean tatty - yeah (obviously I knew this before buying), but a blank canvas with the vast majority of the bodywork sorted. It's just cosmetic and with a little bodywork and a nice paint job it will look really good. More importantly, because of all the work already done, it will last (y)

So here is how it is now:View attachment 615303View attachment 615305View attachment 615306View attachment 615310I also have a ton of bits that Tam dropped off while here, but to be honest I haven't had time to see what's there yet.

So, the plan.

This van is for us. It will be our new fulltime home. It also needs to be a bit of a showpiece for work. We want plenty of space for the two of us and the dog, plus the room to take nieces & nephews away at weekends etc.

This is the layout we are pretty happy with:
View attachment 615316

The rear of the van is the same as our current van. It works for us so don't fix what ain't broke. The bathroom is much larger (145cm x 90cm at it's widest points) and will have a marine toilet (probably) and a rain head shower set high in a skylight. The dinette converts into a fair size bed (200cm x 90cm) and there will be a drop down bed across the cab.

The drop down will only be 5'9" wide, but will be 120cm deep. I always loved overcabs as a kid, so hoping the nieces and nephews will love it up there.

The kitchen is 1.5m long plus a 60cm flip up surface across the door. A 2.1m long kitchen - pure luxury :LOL:

There's then a ton of storage and a great sized boot.

This van (currently) has a payload of 3.8t, meaning we can carry more water etc. There will be a 350l fresh, 350l grey and 250l black tank. If I can fit a little more fresh in I will. There will also be a 70l gas tank.

Power wise, 900w of solar, 460Ah LiFePO4 and a lot of Victron gear. Inverter will be on full time to provide 240v for the fridge and other things.

Oh, the colour. The colour will be a deep red with black around the bottom, kind of like these ish:

View attachment 615319View attachment 615320

Think that will do for now.

I'm snowed under with work at the moment, but hoping to get some time next month the get it painted. Then, work permitting, I'll hopefully get it done ready for the Overland show in September. Hopefully is optimistic :cool:
Sounds like a fabulous project, I wish you well with the build it really sounds like it will be one of a kind, meant in a really good way.
Be nice to see the finished project.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
As a lot of you know, I bought Northernraider Vario from him a few weeks ago and I promised to do a thread on the build. So here it starts.

I've always loved and wanted a Vario, but the state the bodywork can be in scares the hell out of me. Because of this, I've never come close to buying one. Tam had already done most of the work on his that I find terrifying. Not only that, he had documented it all here on Fun with 100's of images of the work in various stages.

A few conversations and the sale was agreed. Tam would bring his new Palace down to me to fix a bodge the previous owner had done, then I'd jump in with him up to Scotland to collect my new home.

300 miles later and the Vario is here at my workshop. Not the quietest drive as the van currently has no floor, but with earplugs it was fine. The van drives beautifully, the gearbox is great, the brakes and running gear are good - it was far better than I'd hoped. I mean tatty - yeah (obviously I knew this before buying), but a blank canvas with the vast majority of the bodywork sorted. It's just cosmetic and with a little bodywork and a nice paint job it will look really good. More importantly, because of all the work already done, it will last (y)

So here is how it is now:View attachment 615303View attachment 615305View attachment 615306View attachment 615310I also have a ton of bits that Tam dropped off while here, but to be honest I haven't had time to see what's there yet.

So, the plan.

This van is for us. It will be our new fulltime home. It also needs to be a bit of a showpiece for work. We want plenty of space for the two of us and the dog, plus the room to take nieces & nephews away at weekends etc.

View attachment 615316

The rear of the van is the same as our current van. It works for us so don't fix what ain't broke. The bathroom is much larger (145cm x 90cm at it's widest points) and will have a marine toilet (probably) and a rain head shower set high in a skylight. The dinette converts into a fair size bed (200cm x 90cm) and there will be a drop down bed across the cab.

The drop down will only be 5'9" wide, but will be 120cm deep. I always loved overcabs as a kid, so hoping the nieces and nephews will love it up there.

The kitchen is 1.5m long plus a 60cm flip up surface across the door. A 2.1m long kitchen - pure luxury :LOL:

This van (currently) has a payload of 3.8t, meaning we can carry more water etc. There will be a 350l fresh, 350l grey and 250l black tank. If I can fit a little more fresh in I will. There will also be a 70l gas tank.

Power wise, 900w of solar, 460Ah LiFePO4 and a lot of Victron gear. Inverter will be on full time to provide 240v for the fridge and other things.

Oh, the colour. The colour will be a deep red with black around the bottom, kind of like these ish:

I'm snowed under with work at the moment, but hoping to get some time next month the get it painted. Then, work permitting, I'll hopefully get it done ready for the Overland show in September. Hopefully is optimistic :cool:
It looks like it's going to be a stunning looking bit of kit.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson

So, the plan.

View attachment 615316

It looks a very interesting build. Re the paint, I have 2 Land Rovers and can’t praise “Raptor” bed liner paint highly enough (no connection). It’s VERY hard wearing and chip resistant. It comes in various colours and you can vary the finish, from smooth to dappled by the psi/nozzle on application.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I noticed in the sprinter conversion that you have ongoing, the insulation was spray foam.
Why have you decided not to use that system on this van?

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I noticed in the sprinter conversion that you have ongoing, the insulation was spray foam.

The spray foam was already in the Sprinter - it was a camper before.

My worry with spray foam is if welding is ever needed. Although as Tam has done such a good job of rust removal, and I'll be taking everything back to bare metal before etching, it's not a definite no.

I'm not sure it's quite as good as PIR tbh. I spend time in the Sprinter, them pop next door into my van (pir and all pillars filled), and mine is cooler. Although the MaxxFan is on in mine, it isn't in the Sprinter.

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
So on the new van you are fitting 2 roof fans, is this to enable a cross flow?

With your grey water drainage, I had thought from our travels to fit a discharge system on the left and on the right hand sides, this would allow us to discharge easily depending on the facility used.
As for automated discharge you mentioned a solenoid valve, which was interesting, I had a couple of 28mm electric operating valves that I thought I could utilise, but not sure on fitting under the van and water resistance ( road spray).

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010

You still want this colour? Looks tricky!

I thought about it for a road bike!

(Did I just sat that in MHF!)

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I read somewhere that Spray foam in a van could be dangerous as the foam after fitting gives off fumes for months after and if your van is not sufficiently vented you could get poisoned.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….

You still want this colour? Looks tricky!

I thought about it for a road bike!

(Did I just sat that in MHF!)
Had a Z1000 in Burnt Orange, lovely colour and would look good on a van😁😁
9678688A-577E-4D1E-8E4D-78181CF4FEA1.jpeg

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
I read somewhere that Spray foam in a van could be dangerous as the foam after fitting gives off fumes for months after and if your van is not sufficiently vented you could get poisoned.
Ridged foam board also will produce gasses if heated up enough.
Is a concern if you are building a sauna.
A camper insulation can one side can get very hot in the summer so therefore can produce a dangerous gas.
You can fit solid insulation that will not gas’s off as they fit into a sauna, if interested will post.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Ridged foam board also will produce gasses if heated up enough.
Is a concern if you are building a sauna.
A camper insulation can one side can get very hot in the summer so therefore can produce a dangerous gas.
You can fit solid insulation that will not gas’s off as they fit into a sauna, if interested will post.
This is the reason I had Dacron as insulation, it’s not the best but it will not get damp or grow mold and is easy to cut and fi.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Well it's been a crazy few weeks where I've been far too busy that resulted in my body just giving up yesterday. I've gradually been getting more and more snappy due to being tired, but trying to work through it. Then, just after lunch yesterday, lights out.

Luckily for me, there are always ambulances on this estate (major blood bank here), Claira flagged one down and I was checked over and sedated almost straight away. Then slept for 24 hours and still crashed out now. Feels like the worst hangover :rolleyes:

All my own fault of course. A bit of a learning curve balancing the pace I can continuously work at after spending years working online. Lesson well and truly learn't (and I'm fine, just tired and feel stupid).

Anyway, as I have no energy, but head is kind of still working, I thought I may as well get a few things sorted for the Vario. If all goes to plan, the Vario will be built in August with the aim of having it usable for the Overland Show in September.

The main thing is the layout is now refined and all details sorted. This will be the van:

Vario-5.6-Master.jpg

The plan hasn't changed massively, just small improvements really, but they should make it a nicer place to call home (y)

A lot of the parts are now ordered like the windows, roof lights, tanks, heating, aluminium for roof, solar, awning, outside lockers, and a few other bits. I also managed to track down a single seat base (not easy for this van).

There won't be a lot happening until the build starts now. I've found a source for the paint, but need to order that over the phone, so a when I get 5 mins free job.

Quite looking forward to having the outdoor, slide out kitchen :smiley:

On a slight tangent, anyone know anything about sand-blasting?

The wheels for a Vario are extortionate. I think even sending them off to be blasted would be fairly pricey (7 wheels), so figured I may as well just buy a cabinet and do it myself as I already have a large compressor.

Any suggestions for what cabinet I should go for, or anything related, would be appreciated. The Vario wheels are likely to be the largest I ever need to work on at 17.5".

Right, back to sleep.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Well it's been a crazy few weeks where I've been far too busy that resulted in my body just giving up yesterday. I've gradually been getting more and more snappy due to being tired, but trying to work through it. Then, just after lunch yesterday, lights out.

Luckily for me, there are always ambulances on this estate (major blood bank here), Claira flagged one down and I was checked over and sedated almost straight away. Then slept for 24 hours and still crashed out now. Feels like the worst hangover :rolleyes:

All my own fault of course. A bit of a learning curve balancing the pace I can continuously work at after spending years working online. Lesson well and truly learn't (and I'm fine, just tired and feel stupid).

Anyway, as I have no energy, but head is kind of still working, I thought I may as well get a few things sorted for the Vario. If all goes to plan, the Vario will be built in August with the aim of having it usable for the Overland Show in September.

The main thing is the layout is now refined and all details sorted. This will be the van:

View attachment 625531

The plan hasn't changed massively, just small improvements really, but they should make it a nicer place to call home (y)

A lot of the parts are now ordered like the windows, roof lights, tanks, heating, aluminium for roof, solar, awning, outside lockers, and a few other bits. I also managed to track down a single seat base (not easy for this van).

There won't be a lot happening until the build starts now. I've found a source for the paint, but need to order that over the phone, so a when I get 5 mins free job.

Quite looking forward to having the outdoor, slide out kitchen :smiley:

On a slight tangent, anyone know anything about sand-blasting?

The wheels for a Vario are extortionate. I think even sending them off to be blasted would be fairly pricey (7 wheels), so figured I may as well just buy a cabinet and do it myself as I already have a large compressor.

Any suggestions for what cabinet I should go for, or anything related, would be appreciated. The Vario wheels are likely to be the largest I ever need to work on at 17.5".

Right, back to sleep.
What paint are you using I've got a carbon road bike to paint and Mazda soul looks ace!

As to spray booth how about 4' cube of plywood toughened glass window and welders gloves / gaiters for hands?!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back