Making a fibreglass shower tray? Or Epoxy Resin? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
MH
Fiat PVC
Exp
Since 1995
Looking to do the same, we are due to get a new panel van next month, hopefully !
look forward to see how this works out for you.
What design did you have in mind?
I had thought a shower tray to have a central discharge point, with the floor sloping from all four corners should work best for me.
With our current van having a prefabricated shower tray the discharge is in 1 corner, as we are not always able to slope the van so the water discharges easily and we end up moving it to the plus hole manually.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I have used Easy Composites a few times and the guys there are very approachable and readily offer advice.

They have made a few videos, and I thought this one might be right up your street to offer something unique in your builds.

Paul, you know me to well (y)
Cheers for that.

Looking to do the same, we are due to get a new panel van next month, hopefully !
look forward to see how this works out for you.
What design did you have in mind?
I had thought a shower tray to have a central discharge point, with the floor sloping from all four corners should work best for me.
With our current van having a prefabricated shower tray the discharge is in 1 corner, as we are not always able to slope the van so the water discharges easily and we end up moving it to the plus hole manually.

I going to start putting out videos again soon and will definitely do one on this shower tray.

Design wise, the bathroom in this van has a 45 degree wall and I want the tray to match it.

Interesting you mention drainage, as it's a major bugbear for me in our van. My solution is to put two drains in the base in opposite corners. The trouble with this a prefabricated trays is the cutout parts are often in the wrong place - above a joist, for instance. By making the tray custom, I can fit the drains where suitable.

So what van do you have coming? Got a layout?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think wanderinghome on youtube originally made a fibreglass base in his shower ...then removed it and done it with tiles instead.

Im going with a custom made stainless steel tray in my vario ... should be relatively indestructible then . Central drain , if it doesn't drain when parked it will when I'm moving , hardwood duckboard on top.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I think wanderinghome on youtube originally made a fibreglass base in his shower ...then removed it and done it with tiles instead.

Im going with a custom made stainless steel tray in my vario ... should be relatively indestructible then . Central drain , if it doesn't drain when parked it will when I'm moving , hardwood duckboard on top.

I do like the stainless ones (a friend who's another Funster has one), but it won't work in the build I'm working on.

Interesting you mention the duckboard though as that's what we have in our current van. The trouble is, our tray is a plastic one with dimples on it. The fibreglass one I'll make for the current customer build will be smooth, have two drain points and have a duckboard. Best of all worlds I think (although stainless would be the same).

Going to refit our own van (again) later this year and will fit the same. Bugs the hell out of me constantly squeegeeing the floor after a shower :LOL:

Oh, the current build has a compost toilet as well. I'd always hated them, but had to learn a lot about them to design and build one properly. I can see why you're going for one now (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all your help on this guy's, all your replies gave me a bit of direction on a subject I knew little about.

I've done a fair bit more research now and, as suggested by a few of you, think I like this process:

This would allow me to get the shape I want.

Finish wise, I like the idea of using a few coats of gelcoat and sanding, then finishing with a flowcoat that can be sprayed. This should give me a nice finish I think.

I'm going to speak with the company in the video tomorrow to get more advice. If the call goes well I'll order all the bits I need.
I'm a little surprised by the cost - in a good way as it's less than I thought it would be. Makes a nice change (y)

I also like that the same company supply epoxy resins, that I have another project in mind for, and carbon fibre products. Hoping they turn into a good partner for all these materials, but happy to look at other suppliers if anyone has any suggestions or reasons why this company might be a bad choice? Their reviews look good.

You should be OK with East Coast David, they were fibreglass fabricators before they were selling gear so they know what they are talking about, I used to buy a fair bit of stuff from them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I do like the stainless ones (a friend who's another Funster has one), but it won't work in the build I'm working on.

Interesting you mention the duckboard though as that's what we have in our current van. The trouble is, our tray is a plastic one with dimples on it. The fibreglass one I'll make for the current customer build will be smooth, have two drain points and have a duckboard. Best of all worlds I think (although stainless would be the same).

Going to refit our own van (again) later this year and will fit the same. Bugs the hell out of me constantly squeegeeing the floor after a shower :LOL:

Oh, the current build has a compost toilet as well. I'd always hated them, but had to learn a lot about them to design and build one properly. I can see why you're going for one now (y)
Yeah cassette loos are useless in countries with no disposal points and winter time that's quite a lot. Ive not used my cassette in 4 months

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Me, I would use chequer plate, bent to shape and seams sealed with polyurethane, then painted to suit. No faffing about with fibreglass and gel coats or moulds

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Two on Tour Damn you Paul :LOL:

I've spent the last few hours watching videos from the link you posted and now ordered a 3d printer. I had no idea that 3d printed parts could be epoxy coated to get a far better finish. Plus loved the carbon fibre mould making.

It can sit next to the CNC laser cutter :cool:

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks all for the help with this.

It's been really interesting learning how and what can be made using different techniques with fibreglass, carbon and epoxy. So I ended up ordering quite a range of products to experiment with.

I'll post images of the finished products for anyone interested.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I was going down the fibreglass/epoxy route, but decided to try in PVC.
First attempt, and whilst not perfect I didn't think I could do better so went with it
Just bent/shaped with hot air gun and some wooden battens. Is fully supported on 15mm ply. Walls are PVC overlapping the upstands
AM-JKLVsF2EpZ8mHkLXV9KlnzssVIEjCnh0Qtz2Sig1Ve7wphLt0s85Qb9qPpaB8GvsL6V3qvTZz_EIuCBrPrnwj_I2Cc3zESIZYI-tgCRicpeAZAjP7EhuZresQX4g9sMJ0XL8h6VHN0oCfylzMnZR12KEqVA=w1139-h854-no

Video of bathroom complete below
I would say, just bear in mind PVC expands 1mm/m/20' more than ply so think it through!

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Only just seen this thread, I am about to rejig my Transit high top, and want to form a shower, with toilet included, but because of space issues, I intend to form a wetroom floor, which incorporates a box at one end, this will allow me to have batteries under on slide out tray, which will access from rear door. Toilet, which I will use a ports potty, to see if all goes to plan.
I will get a floor layer, who creates wetroom floors for NHS, to lay Altra none slip flooring on WBP far eastern ply,raised up the sides, with welded joints. No faffing about with fibre glass or stainless. I think it will work a treat and be far quicker & cheaper, and more or less any shape you want

pandjb

Free Member
Mar 8, 2021
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
316CDI 4x4 Sprinter
It wasn't cheap - around £250 - but had spent so much on the new van, I just did it!
Very pleased with the result and ,2 years on, still looks like new.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back