Jan 17, 2013
Whittington, Oswestry
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2000
Just spotted this on another forum

Perhaps the CAMC and the CCC and other campsites should offer this as well.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
would need to evacuate site for H&S

why? I don’t see any risk ? I think it’s a great idea

No different to many small independent LPG places we have used and surely a petrol station would be every bit as dangerous ?

or am I missing your point?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Flo-Gas. I suspect would not have accepted the installation had they had issues over safety. IF I have any issue at all it would be the fact that the hose trails across the ground, but that is a very minor point.

Cynically, The CCC and CC are unlikely to follow suit, 1) because they have a Mark up on cylinder exchange, they are always cheaper "off site". 2) most of their "customers" are Caravanners, who to my knowledge never use refillables.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
How brilliant ... with the loss of so many lpg pumps at filling stations this would be a great way to go if many more sites were to install the facility.
Only downside I can see is that the big "clubs" would see it as a cash cow and price would go through the roof.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Worth knowing ,good that it’s available to the public and not just people staying because it seems a very expensive site .
thanks for posting

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
why? I don’t see any risk ? I think it’s a great idea

No different to many small independent LPG places we have used and surely a petrol station would be every bit as dangerous ?

or am I missing your point?
Even if you meant EVALUATE , i think you worry to much
I’m sure they are more than capable dealing with any necessary legislation

Good on them for spotting a hole in the market & offering services ?

Referring to CCC & CC clubs who are very regimental .

I have LPG Cars and refillable.

The cars are probably safer than petrol

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We used to offer LPG but gave it up as it wasn’t used, and we couldn’t compete with Sainsbury’s a couple of miles away

Some one would come into the office and want gas. We would walk out and find them parked in the car park, not near the LPG tank.

It would start to rain, they would have an arguement with their partner as to “who had the keys” It would rain harder!

They would find the keys and start the engine. One would drive and the other would stand at the back of the motorhome and wave their arms around in a random fashion.

The motorhome would move! The motorhome would stop! The driver would lean out of the window and shout abuse at the “co-pilot” the co-pilot would shout back, and stomp off to our reception area muttering about the driver, the rain and preferring hotels anyway.

We would eventually get the motorhome aside the LPG station, and the driver would get out of the motorhome, beaming as if something difficult had been achieved

“Where is you fill point?” would be answered with the driver getting back into the motorhome, to attempt a 12 point turn (in an empty car park the size of a cricket field?) the ‘other’ side apparently!

The driver would get out of the motorhome (it’s still raining)

The question “is everything thing turned off” would elicit the answer “ yes just the water heater, fridge and heating are on)

The driver would be instructed to go back into the motorhome and turn OFF said water heater, fridge and heating.

So twenty minutes after first contact the LPG fill would start, only to stop a few seconds later, the gauge registering 8 litres! A questioning glance at the customer would be answered with “Oh I knew we didn’t need much, we just wanted to “top up”

As it is still raining the driver would be left to find his wallet, and apparently a host of other essential items, whilst refuge was sought from the rain

Now 30 minutes on from the original contact, when presented with a ticker for the driver and the co-pilot would question the cost and ask how much a litre they were being charged

55p a litre? Sainsbury’s is only 53p a litre!

To which we would politely ask that next time they go to Sainsbury’s

We still have LPG so we can fill and test Gaslow when we install it, but no longer retail it it’s simply too much bother

And apparently Sainsbury’s are cheaper!

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
We used to offer LPG but gave it up as it wasn’t used, and we couldn’t compete with Sainsbury’s a couple of miles away

Some one would come into the office and want gas. We would walk out and find them parked in the car park, not near the LPG tank.

It would start to rain, they would have an arguement with their partner as to “who had the keys” It would rain harder!

They would find the keys and start the engine. One would drive and the other would stand at the back of the motorhome and wave their arms around in a random fashion.

The motorhome would move! The motorhome would stop! The driver would lean out of the window and shout abuse at the “co-pilot” the co-pilot would shout back, and stomp off to our reception area muttering about the driver, the rain and preferring hotels anyway.

We would eventually get the motorhome aside the LPG station, and the driver would get out of the motorhome, beaming as if something difficult had been achieved

“Where is you fill point?” would be answered with the driver getting back into the motorhome, to attempt a 12 point turn (in an empty car park the size of a cricket field?)

The question “is everything thing turned off” would elicit the answer “ yes just the water heater, fridge and heating are on)

The driver would be instructed to go back into the motorhome and turn OFF said water heater, fridge and heating.

So twenty minutes after first contact the LPG fill would start, only to stop a few seconds later, the gauge registering 8 litres! A questioning glance at the customer would be answered with “Oh I knew we didn’t need much, we just wanted to “top up”

As it is still raining the driver would be left to find his wallet, and apparently a host of other essential items, whilst refuge was sought from the rain

Now 30 minutes on from the original contact, when presented with a ticker for the driver and the co-pilot would question the cost and ask how much a litre they were being charged

We still have LPG so we can fill and test Gaslow when we install it, but no longer retail it it’s simply too much bother

did you have to report Me and Nikki's last visit to you Eddie. ;);) :rofl:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Worth knowing ,good that it’s available to the public and not just people staying because it seems a very expensive site .
thanks for posting

Funnily enough I had just looked it up, £21 / night didn’t seem bad to me ??

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
When I looked it looked like £24 +£5 for electric!

I couldn’t easily see prices so went through a mock booking for this weekend, might be less at this time of year ?

I like the separate charge for electricity and would go without, we never use £5 on gas for heating ?

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
Having LPG on a site can't be any worse than LPG in your home ? lots up here don't have access to natural gas (we don't) so have LPG tanks in their gardens.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I couldn’t easily see prices so went through a mock booking for this weekend, might be less at this time of year ?

I like the separate charge for electricity and would go without, we never use £5 on gas for heating ?
Yes price goes down when booking more than one night, 5 night goes down to £18 but still a lot without ehu.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

“Where is you fill point?” would be answered with the driver getting back into the motorhome, to attempt a 12 point turn (in an empty car park the size of a cricket field?) the ‘other’ side apparently!

BeJASUS! I nearly lost the will to live reading that lot!
But it was very funny and some bits "squirmingly" familiar ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

But you left out the worst part. You normally have to queue at sainsburys for a minimum 20 minutes whatever fuel you want. & don't even think of going in if you want both lpg & diesel as you will have to exit & enter & wait again.:giggle:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968

Spoil sport :giggle:

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Just spotted this on another forum

Perhaps the CAMC and the CCC and other campsites should offer this as well.
Nah that means they would be doing something for their membership and even if they did they would see it as a money making exercise and charge more than garages

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Stayed at this site three years ago. Lots going In the way of development. Yes the prices can be interpreted as expensive but the facilities are outstanding and if you like to have a fish Great Lakes to have a go. We were on a rally so it was a lot cheaper. A few CMC centres rally there so worth keeping an eye on. The site owners do think outside the box and worth dropping in

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Having LPG on a site can't be any worse than LPG in your home ? lots up here don't have access to natural gas (we don't) so have LPG tanks in their gardens.

We have 10 x 45kg bottles and 4 x 11kg bottles at the villa in Spain. Safe as houses !

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

I'd have said give me a shout when you're ready and gone back in ?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We buy LPG and dont really look at the price, yes it might be a few pence cheaper somewhere else, but the fact that we have found a pump that works is good enough for us. This will become even more relevant when more garages stop selling LPG.
Looking at eddievanbitz post its easy to see why its self service only pumps that are left thesedays, as who running an LPG outlet, would want to deal with the public directly for fuel, or even having given a personal service then have to justify why your price is a few pence dearer than a place up the road.

We are told often that the profit margins on fuel from the major supermarkets are very small, they have to rely on bulk demand to make an operating profit from us the consumer.

Incidentally, I bet the MH couple didnt even offer a tip for Eddies personal service.:mad: Bet they even mentioned that they get Nectar points at Sainsburys also!:swear2:
Even I wouldn't wish to pay BP or motorway Diesel prices, just for the sake of convenience, however we did refill with LPG on a BP station going south on The M4 recently, again because it was there, and becoming rarer every day at any price.(any price for peace of mind eh?)

It really did surprise me whilst sat having a coffee in the van near the M4 services just after xmas, how busy the fuel pumps were, you would have thought they were offering supermarket prices, but its diesel price was £1.55 a litre! and most were filling to the brim.
LES

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back