Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi,
Off to Santander for 2 weeks with motorhome and 2x 6kg lpg Calor bottles. standard screw in regulator with push on hose. We don't normally have a hook up (140w solar panel) so its just for fridge and cooking.
whats the simplest solution in the event of us running out of gas?
regards
Jim

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No calor refills available so its buy a new french bottle and regulator if you run out but with that little use as long as at least one is full its unlikely you will run out

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
take it by the title you already have a bottle filler adaptor . there are quite alot of autogas/gpl at petrol stations .
if you can look at secondhand shops etc although even some garages will let you rent a bottle cheaply. in spain swapping spanish gas bottles is normally cheaper than auto gas. cepsa or repsol bottles are the norm.
they do come up for sale here or on ebay etc . ideally you want space for a 12kg bottle but there are smaller ones available . but normally 12kg is standard .
mind leave uk with full bottles you should cope i would think.
take it you are staying in spain and not going to france.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

jim999bob

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
hi, no, I don't have a bottle fill adaptor, can I just refill my 6kg bottles at an autogas station in I get an adaptor?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, no, I don't have a bottle fill adaptor, can I just refill my 6kg bottles at an autogas station in I get an adaptor?
some do . and have been for years .even way back in the 70,s when lpg cars were a favourite and several garages even in cornwall had lpg on tap.
these days bottles are being sold you can fill.
but many still fill bottles or tip from a bigger bottle .
in many countries its normal.
can you not fit a bigger bottle/
i find a 12kg bottle lasts 4-6 weeks in spain in the winter.
reading your first post it did look like you already had an adaptor .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As soon as you open the gas locker door there's a chance they won't start the pump.
Not saying all, but many won't.
They don't like you filling bottles without an official gas fill valve.

Tony doherty

Free Member
Jul 24, 2017
London
Funster No
MH
Carriaca 200
Exp
Since 2012
We had this problem in France. Bought a new French hose and regulator and rented gas canister from intermarche. We are going to santander this week. Any suggestions for aires or campart sites?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
It really depends. There are officially 'refillable' gas cylinders available that are safe and legal.
There are adapters about but questionable legality and extremely questionable safety.
If the Calor bottles were safe and legal to fill at a LPG station, then why would they do refillable cylinders costing 10 times more?
As in Calor or Calor type cylinders, you pay a deposit (sometimes a shrinking return) and then the gas. When you exchange, you pay for the has. The cylinder (bottle) is not yours, it's theirs and remains their property and under their contract, they do not allow you to refill that cylinder.
There are many that will contradict that but that's it in a nut shell.
The safety side is probably best explained by this

images (5).jpg

OP
OP
J

jim999bob

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
isle wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Just finishing our two weeks, still on 1st 6kg propane bottle. Fridge on all the time, no hookups!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back