Lpg bottle adapter and filling (1 Viewer)

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Terry, a spring balance is the best way to check contents in a gas cylinder.

The unfilled weight (tare Weight) is stamped on a plate on the cylinder.
The difference between the tare weight, and the weight shown on your spring balance is the weight of propane in the cylinder.

Gauges are notoriously innacurate.
Besides, if you fill from a tank that's been standing in the sun all day, you get less weight for the same volume.

TIPs,

1) Fill up in the morning to get more gas for your loot.

2) When your cylinder is empty" but still gas a bit of pressure,
Take it to a well ventilated place without drains,
turn it upside down and
then open the valve.
You'll be surprized how often water comes out.

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
gas cylinders

Hi it is against the law to carry gas cylinders on there side in the back of van pickup truck etc they must be stood upright and strap to stop them from falling other

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Tony Lee, carrying an upright LPG bottle inside a car, van, or motorhome is asking for trouble.

To the best of my knowledge it's illegal in the UK.

Unless the car, van, or motorhome has a big hole in the floor to let any escaped gas out.

A spark from the door light switch is enough.

quote yes you are right I done felt roofing for several years using gas cylinders health and safety rules state this tony morris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 45eEver,you are perching to the converted :ROFLMAO: I have read 100s if not 1,000s of posts on the adapters,and have had one for over 3 yrs. :winky:The only thing I did not know was about refilling on its side (I do now :winky:) that's because no one has asked the question before :ROFLMAO:
I am quite surprised that this post has not (yet) got onto / into all the explosions etc,etc, that they normally do :ROFLMAO: Must be because it's the fun site :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Oh dear Terry, I do hope I'm not preaching.

I intend only to give informative answers to questions.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Just to clarify the legality of transportation of LPG , the regs do not apply to domestic users .. however, I agree it is safer to carry upright and properly secured.. but a bit difficult with a 47kg bottle in a car..

The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable
Pressure Equipment Regulations 2007 (CDG&UTPER)

1.0 Who do the Regulations Apply to?
The Regulations apply to any person responsible for the carriage by
road of dangerous goods (in tankers or packages) in connection with
their work.
The Regulations impose duties on drivers, employers, vehicle operators
and consignors and Safety Advisors (TDGSA) to ensure safe carriage of
dangerous goods.
2.0 What is meant by a package?
In the case of LPG, which is listed as a Dangerous Substance, a
package (sometimes referred to as a ‘receptacle’) is any cylinder or
cartridge of any capacity.
It should be noted that nominally empty cylinders are treated as full
for the determination of any quantity thresholds.
3.0 Do the Regulations apply to the LPG Cylinders in Private
Caravans?
NO. LPG cylinders being carried in connection with private domestic or
leisure activities do not come under these Regulations.
However,
caravans, with LPG cylinders used in connection with trade or business
for work purposes and conveyed by road, must comply with the
Regulations

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh dear Terry, I do hope I'm not preaching.

I intend only to give informative answers to questions.
Hi 45eEver, and for that, thank you :thumb: :ROFLMAO: It is probably me ::bigsmile:
How long before someone comes on saying they will not park on the same site as Andy (just in case :ROFLMAO:)and will report him for filling his bottle :ROFLMAO: it has all been said before in other posts on other sites.:ROFLMAO: Jim it is surprising just how many rules and regs are quoted on this subject (and others )that do not apply to individuals :thumb::ROFLMAO:
terry

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Yup, I've read that before about it only applying to folks doing it for a living ScotJimLand,

I've argued the case with, in this instance the firebrigade, and got away with it.

The police can, I understand from Calor Gas, treat the Carriage of Dangerous Substances Act as advisory in relation to private persons.

The police can then transfer the argument to driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
Or somesuch.

Which makes sense, follow the Act even though it may not directly apply to you?
Or take a chance on the letter of the Law?

R

robbietioo

Deleted User
Hi Andy, :ROFLMAO: it is a case of what the eye does not see :ROFLMAO:
I only have 2 small 3.9 kg bottles (which are small and awkward to get the filler on if they are loose) so they are fastened into my gas locker to hold them in place ::bigsmile: never had a problem :thumb:--If I fill my home b-b-q bottle I just leave it inside the habitation door and fill it there or if in the car leave it in the boot, sand it upright to fill and lay it back down after filling and close the boot :thumb:
Don't go for the 87 % full ---- but stick to 80% or less :thumb: and do not forget to turn off the valve on the bottle :thumb::ROFLMAO:
It will soon pay for its self :thumb:
Then you can get all the flack from others about using / having such a thing :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky::Cool:
terry
edit where can I get a smiley with a crash helmet heehee
Hi is standing the bottle upright essential to getting the nozzle to fill the bottle or is it just more convienient for you?

R

robbietioo

Deleted User
Hi ,is standing the bottle upright essential for it to fill or is it just easier for you?

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We have been thinking about relpacing our 2 x 6kg calor gas cylynders with Gaslow but seeing this thread has made us think is using one of Link Removed just as good/safe?

Greg

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you pay your money and make your choice. i would not buy gaslow or any other high priced fillable gas bottle .have had fillable gas bottles for years .
just picked up 2 x47 kg ones .anybody got ny advice how to get them in the gas locker?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have both Gaslow and an adaptor.

If the garage does not allow ordinary bottle refilling I have my Gaslow but if, as you often are, you left on your own you can refill ordinary bottles with the adaptor. I only refill empty bottles with the adaptor on the 2 litres per kilo basis.

JJ

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
While thinking about it it's just dawned on me, we was looking at gaslow because of the fact we do not have to disconnect the gas bottles as my disability makes it 'awkward'. An adapter doesn't help in that way.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
Filling gas bottles ??

Is it because there's different types of gas,some more dangerous than others ?
Is it because of the danger factor filling these bottles up 'willie nillie' ?

Is it because some pump attendants or people tend to fill up to the max,especially on cold days,then when gas thaws,it expands and 'blows the bottle' maiming or killing ?
Health and Safety ?
Even in Bulgaria they have stopped filling 'heater bottles' up (they do it after 6pm when the firefighters/legal people finish work)still fill your LPG tank up though AND every service station 'pumps LPG' as its been around for donkeys years there...all the old battered Ladas have it !!! and cost of new system fitted is minimal compared to UK,but still same with booklet etc.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I haven't read through every page of this thread so apologies if its been said before but it is ILLEGAL to refill cylniders not attached to a vehicle. It is also ILLEGAL to refill cylinders that do not have an automatic 80% shutoff valve.

D.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
why would anybody go through the hassle of filling a 47kg bottle when you can exchange them for £40.47 ????? at countrywide.includes delivery.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I haven't read through every page of this thread so apologies if its been said before but it is ILLEGAL to refill cylniders not attached to a vehicle. It is also ILLEGAL to refill cylinders that do not have an automatic 80% shutoff valve.

D.
Interesting post, can you show me the relevant legislation please or is that just an opinion.

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
gas filling illegal

Bulgaria the equivelent price for re-filling from a 'pump' is £10 and yes it is illegal because of the dangers.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

D.
Hi I will stand to be corrected but IF memory serves me right it is not illegal to fill your own bottles :thumb: only against the gas co.s advise :ROFLMAO: & recommendations---- Also as of yet nobody has come up with one incident that can be blamed on the use of the adapters / filling bottles with the adapters :ROFLMAO:
Lots of leaky posts using other products :Eeek: ( no names :winky: ) sticking 80 % valves,leaking joints and pipes :ROFLMAO:
ALL of this has been covered very extensively both on here and the dark side
terry
Barnybg if the adapters are used correctly what dangers ?

Last edited:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just come across this thread which is a bit spooky since I have only just got in from refilling my 6 kg bottle :Smile: A few things that I have gleaned from the process.

Get the adapter in tight so it doesn't turn when turning the filler gun
Don't treat it as routine - stay alert and don't forget the valve open/close sequence
Empty the cylinder fully before refilling - I invert mine for about 5 five minutes.
Do the maths every time and know exactly when you are going to release the button
Don't invite confrontation - be a little covert in what you are doing (but not furtive):Blush:
It can take upto 30 seconds for the pump to start pumping....

and finally - I always weigh the cylinder afterwards both with me holding the thing and on its own.... Extrapolate as required.

Nice to be able to talk about this sensibly :winky:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
Just come across this thread which is a bit spooky since I have only just got in from refilling my 6 kg bottle :Smile: A few things that I have gleaned from the process.

Get the adapter in tight so it doesn't turn when turning the filler gun
Don't treat it as routine - stay alert and don't forget the valve open/close sequence
Empty the cylinder fully before refilling - I invert mine for about 5 five minutes.
Do the maths every time and know exactly when you are going to release the button
Don't invite confrontation - be a little covert in what you are doing (but not furtive):Blush:
It can take upto 30 seconds for the pump to start pumping....

and finally - I always weigh the cylinder afterwards both with me holding the thing and on its own.... Extrapolate as required.

Nice to be able to talk about this sensibly :winky:

how much did it cost to fill your 6kg bottle?

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so about 50p a lt,so a 47 kg would have cost £47 as i said what the point,of filling a 47kg?
i also have my own filling adaptor but have found it aint worth filling 47 kg bottles as it works out dearer,

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
lpg adaptors

Anyone know of lpg filling sites in North West that are unmanned and you can use debit card to pay

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
This thread is SCARY!!!

The post regarding 2007 Carriage Regs (superceded by 2009 regs) gives the impression that there are no requirements at all for caravans etc. Not so.
The exception in these regs relates to the exemption from the need for orange plates, driver training and specified safety equipment.

The business of carrying gas cylinders on thier sides is both irresponsible and extremely dangerous.
Cylinder valces are designed to contain pressure in Gas, not Liquid form.
In contact with LPG, the liquid can attack the valve, damaging the valve itself and the valve seals, causing leaks and possibly rocketing.
Cylinders used laid down on fork lifts were mentioned earlier. They have a different type of valve, and are designed to be laid in a given manner. Hence the orientaion arrow on the cylinder base.

Look at any gas truck; the cyls are all stood up, not laid down. Only purpose designed (MEGCs) stillages are carried horizontally.

Do the gas companies sell the adapters talked about, or are they only available in the mickey mouse form sold on e bay?

If filling these things at petrol stations is considered to be safe, why are there not dedicated filling points at garages?...........because it's dangerous.
I cant believe that any fuel company "policy" will go against profit if the practice is safe.

Come on, folks, surely your life is worth more than a few bob saved?

John

creativeglenn

Free Member
Jan 12, 2010
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
8 years
I will be fitting a Gaslow system purely as they are a recognised brand and will be liable.
Some Jo on Ebay is going to disapear.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back