Lpg bottle adapter and filling (1 Viewer)

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Hi there just bought one of these of ebay Link Removed
to fill the red gas bottles up.
I got it in the post today so attached to the bottle went to the filling station at the east lancs a580 near Leigh couple up the gas pump looked up and the women in the station waving her arms screaming over the speaker your not filling gas bottles up here :Eeek::Eeek:
This is a total garage and she said its company policy is this right:Eeek:
Also anyone no where i can fill up in the Manchester area and do you have to do this sneaky and hide what you are doing:Doh:
I did explain its how they fill the bottle up but she was having none of it. There loss no fuel bought of them was going to put 120 liters of diesel in as well::bigsmile:

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
my van runs on lpg and nearly every garage i go to has a sign up saying no adapters. so i presume this must mean for bottled gas.

OP
OP
Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
How then do people get away with filling gaslow bottles up or do i spray my bottle YELLOW:Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i think most folks with gaslow's will have a fixed filler on the side of the van so as far as the petrol attendant knows ,you are filling your fixed LPG tank.

leave the gas can in the locker and fill it there,

same applies to petrol......try filling a clear, plastic container.....they wont let you...:Sad:(or shouldnt)

when i was a kid we used to buy petrol in old pop bottles for the field bikes...no problem 40 years ago.
no bloody health and safety mumbo-jumbo either:thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I bought one as well from the same place, I tried it in the bottle & opened the valve & it is leaking through the non return valve. I have emailled the dealer & waiting for his response:Eeek:.
I have just signed up for a keycard from COUNTRYWIDE their filling stations are 24 hour & you are billed using their keycard direct from your bank. The gas is also cheaper, downside is they don't have that many filling stations.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the women in the station waving her arms screaming over the speaker your not filling gas bottles up here :Eeek::Eeek:

And why not ? If you get it wrong she could be aiding you killing yourself and a few others.

Add to that the fact that you are filling a Calor bottle against the owners agreement.

Now on the other hand, in Congleton the LPG pump has a sign: "Adaptor for filling Calor available in the office".

Funny old world.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Andy, :ROFLMAO: it is a case of what the eye does not see :ROFLMAO:
I only have 2 small 3.9 kg bottles (which are small and awkward to get the filler on if they are loose) so they are fastened into my gas locker to hold them in place ::bigsmile: never had a problem :thumb:--If I fill my home b-b-q bottle I just leave it inside the habitation door and fill it there or if in the car leave it in the boot, sand it upright to fill and lay it back down after filling and close the boot :thumb:
Don't go for the 87 % full ---- but stick to 80% or less :thumb: and do not forget to turn off the valve on the bottle :thumb::ROFLMAO:
It will soon pay for its self :thumb:
Then you can get all the flack from others about using / having such a thing :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky::Cool:
terry
edit where can I get a smiley with a crash helmet heehee

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Andy, :ROFLMAO: it is a case of what the eye does not see :ROFLMAO:
I only have 2 small 3.9 kg bottles (which are small and awkward to get the filler on if they are loose) so they are fastened into my gas locker to hold them in place ::bigsmile: never had a problem :thumb:--If I fill my home b-b-q bottle I just leave it inside the habitation door and fill it there or if in the car leave it in the boot, sand it upright to fill and lay it back down after filling and close the boot :thumb:
Don't go for the 87 % full ---- but stick to 80% or less :thumb: and do not forget to turn off the valve on the bottle :thumb::ROFLMAO:
It will soon pay for its self :thumb:
Then you can get all the flack from others about using / having such a thing :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::winky::Cool:
terry
edit where can I get a smiley with a crash helmet heehee
Purly out of interest does it really matter if it,s standing upright to fill, im asking cos i dont know, not picking holes in your post
Geo

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
And why not ? If you get it wrong she could be aiding you killing yourself and a few others.

Add to that the fact that you are filling a Calor bottle against the owners agreement.

Now on the other hand, in Congleton the LPG pump has a sign: "Adaptor for filling Calor available in the office".

Funny old world.
As the gas pump actually cuts out on the back pressure from the tank/bottle being filled how is it any different to gaslow or other installation. You follow exactly the same procedure with the same fittings. the pressure relief valve does not operate on normal filling. So provided you start with and empty bottle and can read you are safer with and adepter. Please don't keep on poo pooing the idea of adaptors until you have actually used one or seen one in use. everybody is free to decide if they can read, count and remember to turn the valve off at the bottle on their own. By checking the amount of gas going in it is an additional safeguard not the only one.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Purly out of interest does it really matter if it,s standing upright to fill, im asking cos i dont know, not picking holes in your post
Geo
Hi Geo I do not know :ROFLMAO: it is purely that it stands still on the base instead of rolling around :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
:thumb:Hi there thanks for all you answers i will simply hide my bottle from now on.:thumb:

Also if any one can answer can you fill them lying down as this would be better as i could cover my bottle up in the back of my truck (19kg bottle:Eeek::Eeek:) and fill it :thumb::thumb:

Cheers

Andy

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Andy, all I can say is give it a go :thumb: it may well fill to the 38 ltrs max or cut out when it reaches the level of liquid gas (about half) either way it will not matter as you will only pay for the gas you put in :thumb: AND YOU WILL HAVE IT STOOD UP for use :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
:thumb:Thanks again i give it a go with the bottle lay on its side the bottle is empty so was hoping to get about 30litres in it:thumb:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
There's a pressure relief valve on the top of the cylinder Geo.

When things go wrong the PRV pops.

If the cylinder is upright, it vents gas, which cools the contents and reduces pressure.

If the cylder is on it's side, it vents liquid, which doesn't cool the contents, and doesn't reduce the pressure.

If the venting liquid catches fire, one gets a very impressive flame thrower.

It's not too nice if the vapour one ignites either, but a lot less dangerous.

And as you know, what can go wrong, will go wrong Geo.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Andy,If your bottle is a 19 kg one then this will give you a max (80%) fill of 38 ltrs. This will come no where near to blowing the PRV :thumb: but it will be interesting to see if it allows you to fill to the 38 ltrs on it side :thumb: As said before never use it on its side as this would allow the liquid gas to get into your pipes :Eeek: then it becomes extremely dangerous :Eeek::whatthe::Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I procured a 47kg propane bottle to use while static in the UK .. filling at the garage is about half the price of a Calor exchange.. never had a problem filling.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
There's no difference between filling on the side, and filling standing up Terry.

Stacker truck cylinders operate on their side.
It's fine to fill them on their side, as long as you have the correct side at the top.
They have a hockey stick from the PRV to the top of the cylinder, ie to where the gas is.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Liquid propane is exceptionally unlikely to get in the pipes Terry.
In my experience, it never gets further than the pressure reducing valve.

The nuisance is that the pressure reducing valve freezes up, and stops the flow of propane.

I've spent many a happy time holding the pressure reducing valve in my freezing pinky to overcome the problem.

blue_sky

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
1year
Fixed LPG tanks use a float in the tank to prevent over-filling this is what stops the flow of gas not the gas pressure. Also fixed tanks are fitted with pressure relief valves, gas can expand allot if the bottle heats up hence the 80% rule.

I don't disagree with these adapters but be very careful.

The real issue is the stupid price of bottled gas.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
As the gas pump actually cuts out on the back pressure from the tank/bottle being filled how is it any different to gaslow or other installation.

A lot different. In a fixed tank installation it is the inlet valve (inside the tank) that closes at 80% and the back pressure then cuts off the pump. This leaves a gas space so the liquid can expand without blowing the safety valve.

In a portable bottle, the pump will keep filling until the tank is full to the top ie 100% full with no room for expansion. Then if the bottle warms up, there is no space for expansion and liquid LPG MUST be discharged through the safety valve.

Carrying any gas bottle on its side in a car boot - or worse, inside the cabin - is asking for trouble.

Re forklift bottles. These are meant to be mounted on the side and must be mounted a certain way up. Most vehicle engine gas installation deliver liquid, not gas so these bottles shouldn't be used for a RV gas supply.

Lots of very dangerous misapprehensions being aired here. Might be better for those who don't know to keep a low profile in case someone actually takes their advice.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Blue_Sky, all LPG bottles (cylinder) have pressure relief valves.
If you look at the screw valve at that turns the gas flow of and on, you will find the PRV opposite the connection.

Where I've filled portable cylinders with a spit valve, the pump cuts off below the level of the spit valve, as long as the spit valve is closed.

If the spit valve is left open, the pump continues pumping until liquid comes out the spit valve.

Where I've tested after filling with a closed spit valve, the liquid level was some way below the spit valve limit.

Spit valves are set in the top of the cylinder.
They have a dip tube down into the cylinder.
The dip tube ends at the max fill level.

If you fill with the spit valve open, gas comes out.
When the liquid level comes up to the dip tube bottom, the valve spits liquid.
In that way, you know when the cylinder is as full as is safe.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Tony Lee, carrying an upright LPG bottle inside a car, van, or motorhome is asking for trouble.

To the best of my knowledge it's illegal in the UK.

Unless the car, van, or motorhome has a big hole in the floor to let any escaped gas out.

A spark from the door light switch is enough.

OP
OP
Andy - V8 Diesel

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Ok just got back from the petrol station in Eccles (Morrisons) Covered my bottle up lay down in the back of the pickup filled the bottle up 19kg with 32litres i know i could of put more in but that will do me:thumb::thumb: Little bit nerve racking the the first time filling a bottle:Eeek::Eeek:
I feel a lot better about this now its easy along as the filling station lets you.
Bottle was ok filling lay down so a big thanks to every one for the info and help on this:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Pertol station attendent said its a good job that run on gas:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

£15 for 32 litres bonus.:thumb::thumb:

So im off tommorow to Caravan and Camping Site in Wales (cwmcuttan) for a week if anyone one is over there give us a shout!:thumb::thumb:

Thanks once again

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
AND you survived:Eeek::Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Takeaflight, if you check the gas compartmen on your Hymer, you will find a big hole in the floor.

Your gas compartment rates as outside your Hymer.
I think it's called inside/outside.

Anyhow, any gas leaking from the setup drifts away harmlessly (we hope).
No gas gets into your passeger/living area.

45eEver

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
Andy V8 Diesel, you'll be much safer filling and carrying upright.

When some clown shunts a innocently parked pick-up with LPG cylinders in the back, and the wreckage catches fire: -
If the cylinders are on their side, as they heat up,
the PRVs blow,
the liquid squirts out to form a powerful flame thrower.

The heat from that flame thrower raises the pressure in the cylinders.
It ends in a 25 metre fireball/explosion
with red hot shrapnel thrown in a 100 metre circle.

When an upright cylinder is in a fire It vents gas.
The flame thrower is shorter, less fierce, and mainly upwards.
The venting gas cools the cylinder.

There's a good chance that the cylinder won't blow.

I don't know if you strapped your cylinders down, but it's a good idea.

Gas cylinders have the handle round the top to protect the valve.
The valves are normally brass.
Brass snaps rather than bends.

The handles are there to protect the valve.
The protection they give is not 100%.

I seem to remember that carrying upright gas cylinders on their side is an offence under the Carriage of Dangerous Goods Act, but don't quote me.

Calor Gas used to give free stuff away about handling and transporting gas cylinders.

It's not unknowm for the police to stop vehicles leaving Calor Gas stations.
In order to check how the gas is transported.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: Glad you managed it Andy :thumb: :ROFLMAO: 1/3 of the way to paying for the adapter ::bigsmile:
Nerve racking for the first time :thumb: but very easy to do :thumb: You will soon be wondering what all the fuss is about. :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile::winky: I bet you watched the gauge so that you would not overfill :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back