Lpg bottle adapter and filling (1 Viewer)

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
so if you get a bottle of gas from calor it is dangerous because they fill it through the valve then ?

that REALLY would be scary

and this is ALL about profit

until a few years ago you couldn't exchange a bottle anywhere in the USA , you had to fill yours

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will be fitting a Gaslow system purely as they are a recognised brand and will be liable.
Some Jo on Ebay is going to disapear.

Our Gaslow has been a treat, no complaints.

But "recognised brand" - like FIAT would not sell a chassis with duff transmission. Or MG would fit decent head gaskets.

Oh, MG disappeared too.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone know of lpg filling sites in North West that are unmanned and you can use debit card to pay

There was one in Congleton, might be closed now, not sure. There is an LPG conversion firm in Brook Street, Macclesfield who sell LPG and I think will fill yours for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

barnybg

Free Member
Jan 23, 2010
Bulgaria/Greece/Turkey/Wa
Funster No
MH
coahbuilt
Exp
ON and off 10 years but trav 25
LPG adapter and filling

To your question dangerous ,in Bulgaria,and for that matter,other filling stations in Europe ,ill advised or untrained staff, are filling up pressurised bottle containers .....too full,also in cold to freezing conditions,then if they are not 'blowing' at the pump, a few have ' blown' at home ,when the bottle/gas/liquid warms up,causing excessive pressure,maybe others are down to 'old bottles' !!!?? as when exchange bottles occurs,they are checked and pressured etc,before being sent out and usually have a safety cert,for so many years before checks or new bottle is sought,the opposite when 'someone owns one'.
As i have mentioned,why have bottles these days ? why not a 'fixed tank' underneath with an EU filler connection,like when filling LPG for fuel/transport,same can be (seperate) for cooking/heating ?

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
so if you get a bottle of gas from calor it is dangerous because they fill it through the valve then ?

that REALLY would be scary

and this is ALL about profit

until a few years ago you couldn't exchange a bottle anywhere in the USA , you had to fill yours

Calor etc. use the correct kit with trained people, not just an untrained individual using an iffy bit of kit from e bay.
The number of posts on here relating to carrying and filling gas cylinders lying down demonstrates the lack of danger awareness.
If it was just about profit, the fuel companies would have proper facilities to maximise thier own profits.
They dont.....doesnt this tell you anything?

It is about safety. Not just of the filler, but of those around them.
You know its dangerous, thats why you need to sneak around to do it.
If I saw someone doing this at a petrol station I would have no problems in reporting them.
Why should I and mine be put in danger by someone trying to save pennies?

We often hear of people who have done whatever for years and never had a problem. What they really mean is YET.
No different to the "safe" drdiver who has never had an accident, but seen plenty in his rear view mirror.

I would suggest that anyone intending to carry cylinders lying, down fill them improperly, etc. get hold of a MSDS for UN 1978 Propane and give it a good coat of reading, especially the bit that says clearly "Store upright".

John

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
lost me here ; what's carrying cylinders lying down got to do with refilling them ?

and john , have you ever actually been in a gas bottle filling station ?

I have , a number of times

once calor in the uk [ friend of mine worked there ]; off the truck , on the rig , fill , out the door ; inspection ? pressure test ? no such thing ; try writing to calor and ask them what sort of equipment they use to do pressure tests in their filling stations ; the only instruction my friend got was , if it's bent , put it aside

the other one I visited was in spain , it used to be that the lpg pump in alicante was in the filling factory opposite the current gas station , I used to drive in with my car and caravan to fill with lpg , and on several occassions stood and watched the bottles being filled whilst waiting for the car to be filled ; exactly the same , although I never saw a bottle put aside

I may remember boyles law having read chemistry , but I actually learned it at O level like everybody else , so it is hardly rocket science

having had 3 failures over the years with the gaslow type float system in fixed tanks , I prefer the security of filling an empty bottle to 80% , but safety first is my motto ; if people can't work out the correct quantity to put in by multiplying the specified weight by 2 , then I commend them not to use the system

calor , incidentally , say their bottles are filled to between 80 and 87% if I remember correctly

btw , did anybody think they screw something on to fill the bottle :ROFLMAO:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi, Lebesset,

The "lying down" issue:
This has been raised on this thread, with some advising others to lay the cyls down in the car boot after filling.
Dangerous.

Yes, I have been to several filling stations, but the people there know, rather than think they know, what they are doing.

The advice given so far on here varies between sensible and downright irresponsible.
Just because we want to do it, thereby saving pennies (no problem with savings), doesnt mean we should be allowed to do it without the relevant safety knowledge, which is obviously lacking in many cases.

I wouldnt have a problem if the practice was properly regulated with proper procedures to ensure safety, but it isnt.
(No, I dont work for HSE, nor am I one of the "I dont do it, so you shouldnt" brigade).

I am not looking for an argument on this issue, but if anyone has seen an over pressurised, abused or old out of inspection date cylinder go bang, (I have) they will verify its not a trivial event.
When these things fail, they are like a bar of chocolate...everyone gets a bit.

The main point I am trying to make here is save cash by any and all means, but temper that with common sense.

John

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
This thread is SCARY!!!

The post regarding 2007 Carriage Regs (superceded by 2009 regs) gives the impression that there are no requirements at all for caravans etc. Not so.
The exception in these regs relates to the exemption from the need for orange plates, driver training and specified safety equipment.

The business of carrying gas cylinders on thier sides is both irresponsible and extremely dangerous.
Cylinder valces are designed to contain pressure in Gas, not Liquid form.
In contact with LPG, the liquid can attack the valve, damaging the valve itself and the valve seals, causing leaks and possibly rocketing.
Cylinders used laid down on fork lifts were mentioned earlier. They have a different type of valve, and are designed to be laid in a given manner. Hence the orientaion arrow on the cylinder base.

Look at any gas truck; the cyls are all stood up, not laid down. Only purpose designed (MEGCs) stillages are carried horizontally.

Do the gas companies sell the adapters talked about, or are they only available in the mickey mouse form sold on e bay?

If filling these things at petrol stations is considered to be safe, why are there not dedicated filling points at garages?...........because it's dangerous.
I cant believe that any fuel company "policy" will go against profit if the practice is safe.

Come on, folks, surely your life is worth more than a few bob saved?

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back