Looking for a puppy. (1 Viewer)

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
Paid £500 for these 2 they were 12 years old a few weeks back.
View attachment 415323
They love and enjoyment that have given us you could not it a price on.
I do think that all these designs dogs are a big problem with breeding and would not even look at them, you cannot beat a Jack Russell Terrier not to big and very loyal and affectionate.
Daughter has a border collie lovely dog daft as a brush but to big for me😁
Who calling me daft as a brush, i'll have you know I is a very clever dog, how many do you that can type.🐑🐾
PS....Mum says that JR's are lovely dogs, I told her to wash her mouth out with soap.
Gabby 9yrs 10 months young.

Attachments

• 20200811_183902.jpg
    20200811_183902.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Who calling daft as a brush, i'll have you know I is a very clever dog, how many do you that can type.🐑🐾
PS....Mum says that JR's are lovely dogs, I told her to wash her mouth out with soap.
Gabby 9yrs 10 months young.
Daughters collie is very clever and a quick learner.
My boy Jack loves him and they play all day when she visits, girl Jack just gives him a snarl and he knows she not playing😂😂

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
They do, for whatever reason, always have greyhounds.
The reason is the short working life of a greyhound. It's just as well they're gaining in popularity as pets. Brilliant house dogs, naturally good with people and only need short bursts of exercise (or non if they could get away with it). I love 'em.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Getting a rescue dog is not as easy as it sounds. We want a small female of some sort, but they are snapped up in all the local centres. We are on the list of many places, but as yet have never been contacted. They do, for whatever reason, always have greyhounds. :worried:

Sadly, people think that greyhounds need loads of exercise and you need to be able to jog really fast to keep up with them.

All the friends I know with rescued greyhounds will confirm this is not so.

In fact they can give a whole new meaning to 'laid back'.

Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Sadly there's likely to be even more Greys to be removed, as several tracks have closed permanently due to Covid - the one in Peterborough has, so that's two 'house' trainers/kennels out of business.

Kerry is a wonderful companion, wants very little.
Only negative is that they don't have an aggressive bone in their body so useless as a guard dog... and they're a bit boney when they try to be a lapdog...

This is where Kerry came from:
https://brambleberry-greyhounds.co.uk
Sharon is willing to travel to re-home if you're not local.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Have I got this right, you were willing to pay £3,200 for a puppy? Wow ..........
The reason we are prepared to pay that sort of money is because we want a high quality bitch with a really good certified bloodline. We have decided after 37 years of having dogs (from pups and rescues dogs) to breed - just the once, not a production line.

We have had given a number of rescue dogs a loving home over the years and will probably do so in the future, but for the moment we are, actually correction...we have found a puppy which we pick up in 4 weeks.

All things being well, we will let her have 2 seasons and then see how things go. The Beauty Terrorist has had an awful last 9 months.. she lost her brother Xmas Eve, lost her mother some 7 weeks ago and 5 weeks before that she lost her treasured horse (she had him for 22 years) - she is worried sick about our beloved Indy (12.5 year old Golden Retriever with a variety of medical issues). She is so excited about the new pup, including all the training, integration with Indy, development, breeding research etc etc. This is all about helping her and giving her a focus.

Attachments

• D7EFA47E-EB58-4C43-8F63-08D85D72C789.jpeg
    D7EFA47E-EB58-4C43-8F63-08D85D72C789.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 45

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
I picked up a GR puppy last Christmas from a reputable breeder. £1500 including all pedigree papers. She's ten months old. Last week at Boughton on the Water someone offered me a cheque for £2000 to purchase her. The worlds gone mad.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It’s prices of puppies like this that is causing the problems with bad breeding and stolen dogs as there is now serious money to be made.
It doesn’t produce pups of any better quality but encourages more people who shouldn’t to get involved in selling for making money at the dog’s expense.
Yes some breeders are reputable but those who care more about the dogs than the money don’t need to increase their prices as they are more concerned with ensuring the new owners are right.
Selling to the highest bidder isn’t going to improve the welfare of the breeding bitches.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I picked up a GR puppy last Christmas from a reputable breeder. £1500 including all pedigree papers. She's ten months old. Last week at Boughton on the Water someone offered me a cheque for £2000 to purchase her. The worlds gone mad.
Not that kind of money at the time, but around 13 years ago a couple admired Georgie when we were on holiday in the Lake District, they were on the same caravan club site as us and every time they came across us they upped the offer.
To start with we were flattered that they liked the look of her so much, but they were seriously wanting her, they had no chance.
We also had one chap who wanted to take a photo of her because he thought she was so beautiful and he very kindly sent us a copy of the photo that still hangs in our hall.
She was a much loved and beautiful big clown and we miss her, I'm welling up with tears right now.....
Hound puppy.jpg
Hound4.jpg
Hound 2.jpg
Hound.jpg

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
It’s prices of puppies like this that is causing the problems with bad breeding and stolen dogs as there is now serious money to be made.
It doesn’t produce pups of any better quality but encourages more people who shouldn’t to get involved in selling for making money at the dog’s expense.
Yes some breeders are reputable but those who care more about the dogs than the money don’t need to increase their prices as they are more concerned with ensuring the new owners are right.
Selling to the highest bidder isn’t going to improve the welfare of the breeding bitches.
Yup it is crazy, we stay in touch with the couple who breed Gus and they have not put any of their girls in pup this season.
They breed Border Collies for working not showing and are concerned about where the pups end up when people with more money than sense want them.

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
Not that kind of money at the time, but around 13 years ago a couple admired Georgie when we were on holiday in the Lake District, they were on the same caravan club site as us and every time they came across us they upped the offer.
To start with we were flattered that they liked the look of her so much, but they were seriously wanting her, they had no chance.
We also had one chap who wanted to take a photo of her because he thought she was so beautiful and he very kindly sent us a copy of the photo that still hangs in our hall.
She was a much loved and beautiful big clown and we miss her, I'm welling up with tears right now.....
View attachment 421484View attachment 421485View attachment 421486View attachment 421487
What a beautiful girl, they break your heart don't they? I still miss my old girl Sophie who I lost last year.

Yes when we picked Tess up we went for a week in Cornwall in a cottage. At the services a lady took her photo! I get mildly paranoid about puppy snatching, we haven't had her spayed yet so she's a prime target.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
What a beautiful girl, they break your heart don't they? I still miss my old girl Sophie who I lost last year.

Yes when we picked Tess up we went for a week in Cornwall in a cottage. At the services a lady took her photo! I get mildly paranoid about puppy snatching, we haven't had her spayed yet so she's a prime target.
Thank you, yes she was a stunning and big for a girl, the size of her paws when I brought her home made Robert ask if she was a Great Dane, he was joking of course.
Yes we worry about ours being stolen, I think any dog is at risk even though both ours have been neutered, we are having a second set of gates at the top of our drive so that they cannot even be seen from the road.

Jan 5, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van
Exp
15 yrs
Why not try adopting in the first instance. My friend adopts labs on a regular basis and has had around 7 in the last year until they find a permanent home. Most of them are where the owner is ill, passed away or has gone into a home and can't keep them any more. So generally they have been well loved and don't have issues My friend can't take one as he plans to move abroad soon but enjoys adopting. Try https://labrador-rescue.org.uk/
They also have retrievers.

Don't forget a pup might live for another 14 years and you may need to take that into consideration.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
So pleased for you, we went to see our new boy yesterday, we pick him up next week. It has been a difficult search and only by good luck have we found a good breader. We found so many "dodgy" adverts and several almost certainly stolen dogs. We registered with a lot of rehoming charities and have had no luck with them. There is a whole industry stealing and selling dogs. Doge are stolen here and sold in Ireland, and stolen in Ireland and sold here, you can see which group of people are doing this, but I am not allowed to say because of the thought police. This could all be stopped if it was made illegal to advertise dogs for sale.

Anyway here is a gratuitous puppy picture
20201003_093827.jpg

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
It seems so at odds with commonsense to buy any animal from a supermarket, some buy human babies (in different ways) would they commission or buy without meeting the parent or knowing something of the background, but buy a animal from a supermarket without knowing anything or establish the heritage.
I am bemused by such behaviour.

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
It seems so at odds with commonsense to buy any animal from a supermarket, some buy human babies (in different ways) would they commission or buy without meeting the parent or knowing something of the background, but buy a animal from a supermarket without knowing anything or establish the heritage.
I am bemused by such behaviour.
???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We were looking for another dog to keep the Jack Russel company.
Found a Labradoodle at a local kennels and went to see her.
She had history of abuse and was terrified of most men, she also had an ear infection which wouldn't clear up, but seemed to take a liking to me when we took her for a short walk around the kennels paddock.
The kennel arrange a home inspection by a KC member and passed no problem.... We've had dogs for 20 years and Shirls had many more.
We decided not to 'adopt' her because of the aforementioned problems.
Then, because Shirls a member of the Northern Doodle Association we heard they had an 8 month old doodle in need of rehoming... The previous owner had a serious drink problem and couldn't manage her..... So we applied to adopt.
The association know us well and a quick home visit secured her.
She was spayed, fully inoculated and we later had her chipped when the law changed.
She cost us £300, mainly vet fees, and a trip to Hartlepool to collect her.

IMG-20200401-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are wanting a pup too. Buster is 14 now and would like a pup for him to bring on a couple of years before the inevitable.
We’d planned on getting one in November as my season at work finishes then till April .
(Then covid struck.)
This gives me a few months to train him up till I go back to work part time. Unless I know the history and definite temperament of the dog , I don’t want a rescue.
We won’t be paying £2.5k for one either. It’s madness how the price has shot up and there are lots of scams about .
I think unfortunately, once people come off furlough there will be lots of unwanted pets around .

A dog is for life not just for furlough

We pick up our new puppy Brynn on Saturday Morning .
After a lot of searching for a breeder, we ended up buying a puppy from a farm (not puppy farm🙄) down the road from us.
They’ve bred JRT for years, her father and father before him.
Both Brynns parents are workers and live at the farm.
We’ve seen him 3 times since saying we’d have him .

9B99102B-97E6-4E85-9D4E-D76A96166937.jpeg
600C0E1E-0FF0-4157-B15C-4CF6CFB0B793.png

can’t wait 🥰😍
Buster doesn’t know what’s coming 😁

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
IMG_9154.jpg
20200527_140322.jpg

The 1st Photo is of a Portrait of Past & Present dogs who were part of our family and the 2nd is Simba a Chow who you see in the Portrait and Sparky our little Bichon/Maltese all our Dogs have been or are Rescue dogs :giggle:(y)

Last edited:

Rachelc

Free Member
Jun 5, 2020
Funster No
For some people rescues aren't suitable sadly. In our house we couldn't take one on as with SEN kids it would be too chaotic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back