Looking for a puppy. (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We have decided to get a new Golden Retriever puppy whilst we still have our beloved Indy (12.5 year old puppy.....).

We have been searching for a while and there are limited litters around and prices are going through the roof...

We came across a litter on “Pets for Home” website. All looked good, Mother their family owned pet, pups pedigree etc.
Owners wanted to review all applicants to make sure they would be suitable for their puppies.

We were told that we could view the 4 week old pups on Saturday and that they would be available to pick up when 8.5 weeks old ( Microchipped, papers, vet certificates etc).

All good.... After submitting an application, we were contacted by the owners (WhatsApp only), and advised that we seemed the right sought of people to have one of their puppies. However due to significant demand - 8 puppies and 200 enquire, they asked for 50% deposit (£1600).

The Beauty Terrorist was very keen, however, I wasn’t.. I asked for details of the bloodline, which they sent us and they confirmed that they had been registered breeders for the past 12 years. We contacted the Kennel Club to check the bloodline.. Interestingly the KC advised that the mother was owned by another breeder and it’s last litter of pups was 6 years ago - the mother being 12 years old..... The address they gave for vie was not the same address as the details on the KC records and that the name they gave us did not show them as registered breeders....

They sent us their bank details and used their “business account” and would send a receipt for the £1600. I checked for the business online - no record...

I finally managed to speak with the sellers and when I challenged them in the info from the KC, he hung up....

All part of a very elaborate scam.. We passed all info we had gathered to the KC and local trading standards in Bedford to follow up.

Buyers beware!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
My mind boggles at these ridiculous prices for something that's going to cost a fortune in food and vets and tunnel and loads of other stuff for the next 15 years.
Wouldn't have one of they paid me £1500.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Also remember many dogs are being stolen and bred from, you might think a pedigree was foolproof, well reconsider do Google search they can and are faked.
I agree rescue 🐕 or contact the breed club, and visit see both Sire and Dam. Or contact Guide Dogs and see if they have a doing who has not come up to stand. Make sure they have a valid Hip and Eye score, contact the Vet who did it.
Shoulders are also now scored. All deep subjects a lifetime of dog ownership and breeding the past has caused me to be very sceptical.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
We have decided to get a new Golden Retriever puppy whilst we still have our beloved Indy (12.5 year old puppy.....).

We have been searching for a while and there are limited litters around and prices are going through the roof...

We came across a litter on “Pets for Home” website. All looked good, Mother their family owned pet, pups pedigree etc.
Owners wanted to review all applicants to make sure they would be suitable for their puppies.

We were told that we could view the 4 week old pups on Saturday and that they would be available to pick up when 8.5 weeks old ( Microchipped, papers, vet certificates etc).

All good.... After submitting an application, we were contacted by the owners (WhatsApp only), and advised that we seemed the right sought of people to have one of their puppies. However due to significant demand - 8 puppies and 200 enquire, they asked for 50% deposit (£1600).

The Beauty Terrorist was very keen, however, I wasn’t.. I asked for details of the bloodline, which they sent us and they confirmed that they had been registered breeders for the past 12 years. We contacted the Kennel Club to check the bloodline.. Interestingly the KC advised that the mother was owned by another breeder and it’s last litter of pups was 6 years ago - the mother being 12 years old..... The address they gave for vie was not the same address as the details on the KC records and that the name they gave us did not show them as registered breeders....

They sent us their bank details and used their “business account” and would send a receipt for the £1600. I checked for the business online - no record...

I finally managed to speak with the sellers and when I challenged them in the info from the KC, he hung up....

All part of a very elaborate scam.. We passed all info we had gathered to the KC and local trading standards in Bedford to follow up.

Buyers beware!

Puppy farms make me sick to the bone.
Despicable people!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Rescue a dog not a pedigree that mass produced is loads of dogs need a home we rescued from Romania as there’s not many people that want them out there and it gives them a home I think they’re called full moon rescue Romania have a look they did have a Labrador rescue out there as well

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I agree about a rescue dog. I can’t promise you’re not going to get problems settling in because of there past. Our first one was a medical mess for the first six months but once she was under the care of a good vet she was a lovely family friendly dog.
To give them a second chance in life is so rewarding.

Simon Select

MH Trader
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Both of my dogs are rescues.
Trixie was a battered pup. Some Irish bloke thought that she would make a good punch bag. She came from the Dogs Trust and is an amazing dog.
Jerry was also technically a rescue. A breeder sent me a photo of him at 15 weeks saying a family had had him and he was deformed as his balls had not dropped properly. In reality they didnt realist the cost or the commitment.
Could not imagine not having either in my life!

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We are wanting a pup too. Buster is 14 now and would like a pup for him to bring on a couple of years before the inevitable.
We’d planned on getting one in November as my season at work finishes then till April .
(Then covid struck.)
This gives me a few months to train him up till I go back to work part time. Unless I know the history and definite temperament of the dog , I don’t want a rescue.
We won’t be paying £2.5k for one either. It’s madness how the price has shot up and there are lots of scams about .
I think unfortunately, once people come off furlough there will be lots of unwanted pets around .

A dog is for life not just for furlough

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have I got this right, you were willing to pay £3,200 for a puppy? Wow ..........
Yeah we had a few friends around on the lawn at the weekend end and they were passing their phones around with photos of dogs they were thinking of having at that sort of money.
Not wanting to start an argument I just said nowt, but thought they had taken leave of their senses.
Just too much furlough money about :Eeek:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Getting a rescue dog is not as easy as it sounds. We want a small female of some sort, but they are snapped up in all the local centres. We are on the list of many places, but as yet have never been contacted. They do, for whatever reason, always have greyhounds. :worried:

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Getting a rescue dog is not as easy as it sounds. We want a small female of some sort, but they are snapped up in all the local centres. We are on the list of many places, but as yet have never been contacted. They do, for whatever reason, always have greyhounds. :worried:
Try full moon rescue in Romania the puppies said I’ve got no problems or abused I just need a home in loving it easy and it doesn’t take long and I delivering to you you’ll be Able to pick one and then once it’s ready to be coming over it will be sent simple

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
My friend‘s rescue dog came from Last Chance Romania. She’s got the biggest personality possible. Had only been with her 4 weeks when friend had to look after my two plus my daughter’s dog staying for holidays—4 dogs in her house while I was in hospital. She said her dog was like a kid on a sleepover, rushing around all the dogs greeting them.
Please look past a specific breed and rescue a dog.
FB97A084-FED9-4319-A26E-C36CBE11E12F.jpeg

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
I think unfortunately, once people come off furlough there will be lots of unwanted pets around .

Totally agree, all the more reason to adopt.
That thought worries me, how can people suddenly decide they can have a pup, maybe because they have the time at the moment.
Then what happens to the poor dog when it is suddenly alone, wrecks the sofa in frustration and lands up dumped, on the market to goodness knows what fate or in a rescue.

The breeders who breed Gus have a lot of adult dogs to support, but they have not breed any puppies this season because they saw this coming and don't want their pups landing up with the wrong people.

Below is Gus sucking up to Sandra irnbru a couple of weeks ago.......how would he feel if he was suddenly alone all day.😞
20200803_110059.jpg

Jan 14, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2007
Annoys me that some breeders saying they have put up their prices to prevent dogs going to the wrong homes, on the basis that increased price means a more discerning buyer. Really!!!
If you're that worried, dont breed the dogs

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Paid £500 for these 2 they were 12 years old a few weeks back.
DF296170-0E5E-436F-8707-CDBB06C3CA71.jpeg

They love and enjoyment that have given us you could not it a price on.
I do think that all these designs dogs are a big problem with breeding and would not even look at them, you cannot beat a Jack Russell Terrier not to big and very loyal and affectionate.
Daughter has a border collie lovely dog daft as a brush but to big for me😁

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Look on spanish rescue sites. Export to UK, Holland, Germany ,Anywhere;

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have seen personally puppies at about 6 months old turned out as the ate the settee, yes left at home all day.
There will be lots of young dogs looking for homes that understand the responsibility. Like many horses they need to have an ignition key to turn them off until start up time.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
Adopting is great, but so many of the re-homing organisations have so many hoops to jump through, no matter your circumstances, experience with dogs etc. Live in a motorhome? No chance!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There are also charities that rehome specific breeds of dog.

( My last dog was an Irish Setter - I'd love another but Martin is allergic and I'm not sure if I could exercise a setter enough these days).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back