London camping. (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We go to London often in our van. Abbey wood (unaffected by the LEZ) Crystal Palace only if like us your van is compliant with emission rules. When you’re there it’s like being in the countryside anyway.
London comes in for a lot of stick but in our experience is a great place to go.
Museums, mostly free. Great public transport, free if like us you have bus passes. Underground is cheap if you use it correctly. Amazing theatres, cheap widweek if you do your homework and pre book. Great cycle paths along the Thames, great London walks etc etc. Many historical places to visit and some great pubs.
We recently saw the Book of Mormon, Les Miz, and Wicked, total cost £180 for the 2 of us midweek in the best seats, amazing value.
The original London walks are brilliant and only a tenner for us seniors.
Dont knock it until you’ve tried it.
Phil

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We go to London often in our van. Abbey wood (unaffected by the LEZ) Crystal Palace only if like us your van is compliant with emission rules. When you’re there it’s like being in the countryside anyway.
London comes in for a lot of stick but in our experience is a great place to go.
Museums, mostly free. Great public transport, free if like us you have bus passes. Underground is cheap if you use it correctly. Amazing theatres, cheap widweek if you do your homework and pre book. Great cycle paths along the Thames, great London walks etc etc. Many historical places to visit and some great pubs.
We recently saw the Book of Mormon, Les Miz, and Wicked, total cost £180 for the 2 of us midweek in the best seats, amazing value.
The original London walks are brilliant and only a tenner for us seniors.
Dont knock it until you’ve tried it.
Phil

Try working there.

After a week of being crammed like sardines into the dirty, smelly, loud, overpriced, public transport, you'll want to get as far away as possible from that ghastly city.

Upvote 0

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Abbey wood is in the LEZ and there is a £100 charge if your vehicle in not compliant. You can check compliance here
ezee

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Abbey wood is in the LEZ and there is a £100 charge if your vehicle in not compliant. You can check compliance here
ezee
Thats right and next year it will be in the ULEZ

I suspect that will kill the site off:(

Upvote 0

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Our bus passes rarely scan properly on London buses but we just get nodded through.

Upvote 0
Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
I visited abbey wood quite a lot when we had our van this pics out of window in nov 2011
1A493DE4-E352-4A96-A729-DC77CCD01EBF.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
That’s £600 LEZ for a one night stay !
We just recently went to Abbey wood and I was informed by the wardens that if you approach via the Dartford direction you do not fall foul of the Dreaded LEZ. Just for my self interest I’m going to contact the CAMC and ask that question. If it is in the LEZ the wardens are misquoting and need to be informed.
Phil

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
We just recently went to Abbey wood and I was informed by the wardens that if you approach via the Dartford direction you do not fall foul of the Dreaded LEZ. Just for my self interest I’m going to contact the CAMC and ask that question. If it is in the LEZ the wardens are misquoting and need to be informed.
Phil
All very well, but having to sneak into the LEZ exemplifies how the driver is being vilified and criminalised across greater London by its leader as he seeks to drag everyone down to the same social level by cramming them onto his vile public transport.

Don't go, don't give that ghastly man a penny of your money. Go somewhere you aren't hated. And it isn't Manchester or Bath or most UK urban centres. Better off in France where they love motorhomes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gaston aires
Apr 12, 2010
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
All very well, but having to sneak into the LEZ exemplifies how the driver is being vilified and criminalised across greater London by its leader as he seeks to drag everyone down to the same social level by cramming them onto his vile public transport.

Don't go, don't give that ghastly man a penny of your money. Go somewhere you aren't hated. And it isn't Manchester or most UK urban centres. Better off in France where they love motorhomes.
I think that this is going to happen in many cities including Europe.
As for European travel I would agree and we go their pretty often. Love it indeed.

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
I think that this is going to happen in many cities including Europe.

It already is. As you know, France has the Crit Air (six quid) and Germany has the Umweltplakette (six quid (if you buy it from Berlin)). One off purchases and a far cry from £300 per journey into the Smoke. It's about greed, hatred and social engineering, of which there is plenty in London's management.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Phil
Just done this websearch.
<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’d only have to pay the CC…….but wouldn’t be taking the van in there anyway. (y)

0845BD79-FB8B-458B-B881-52B3BFC86FCC.jpeg

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
There seems to be confusion on this thread between LEZ and ULEZ. This map shows the current boundaries of both zones and the pin is Abbey Wood Caravan Club site. However Sadiq Khan wishes to extend the pink ULEZ zone but it is not yet decided. However I wouldn’t think it would be a bigger zone than the current LEZ, but we will find out.
Of course to get to the Abbey Wood site avoiding any zones is another issue.
However there are some campsites out to the west and it would be good if the CAMC could find a way to get one out near as good transport links as Abbey Wood has.

5E763219-ED91-425E-AF56-F1D5D41ADB48.jpeg

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Our motorhome @ 3,850kg is £300 a day

My Range Rover towing our caravan is £12.50 a day
its a joke. Theres quite a few places I want or need to go, but I refuse to venture anywhere inside the M25 because of the ridiculous charges (theft).
and I bet its done next to nothing in terms of making the City cleaner. Do all the emissions from the M25 car park know they're not allowed to disperse towards the City and must only go the other side of the M25?

The London charging zones are about as useful as setting up a windbreak around a tornado to keep the wind out.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back