LONDON’S new T-Charge starts 23/10/17 (2 Viewers)

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Always had my own transport since my first moped when I was 16 , no public transport here within 5 miles , never needed any , why would anyone want to be stuck in a metal tube with 40 other unknowns , just don't follow it.

Ha 40 other unknowns, you certainly have never been on the tube.

People that haven`t been to London or never used the tube probably don`t understand it`s function, it`s just a means of getting from where you are to were you want to be, it`s not a site seeing attraction or a glamorous form of transport, though having said that some of the older stations do have those lovely tiled walls, Hyde Park Corner for example.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Why have your own transport & leave it miles away for the chavs to rob whilst you use expensive 'public transport' with @Chasers s riff.raff.

Exactly !
The tube.lol & stand up to travel whilst paying extortionate amounts.:LOL:

Actually if you use an Oyster card or a debit card (which works out cheaper over the week) the tube is quite reasonable and a very efficient means of getting around the city.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
It would appear that after decades of so called "enrichment" & softly softly pc policing, our capital city is more dangerous than New York.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/20/london-now-dangerous-new-york-crime-stats-suggest/

London is now more crime ridden and dangerous than New York City, with rape, robbery and violent offences far higher on this side of the Atlantic.

Criminal justice experts insisted rising crime in the UK, and particularly London, was more to do with the way the city was policed and blamed the reduction in neighbourhood patrols across the capital.

While both London and New York have populations of around 8 million, figures suggest you are almost six times more likely to be burgled in the British capital than in the US city, and one and a half times more likely to fall victim to a robbery.

London has almost three times the number of reported rapes and while the murder rate in New York remains higher, the gap is narrowing dramatically.

Pete
Over to you Buttons! :pop:

Craig

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
There is a serious side to this. Thousands of Londoners die each year attributed to the pollution. Over 400 schools are in areas exceeding the legal air quality levels.

Other major UK cities will follow.

Just read the BBC news item on this, and yes, it does have serious health issues.

Which got me thinking. Yes, dangerous, and limited as a concept I know.

BUT

If it is so dangerous, why is all they are doing charging people? That’s not going to solve the problem, probably just transfer it. For somebody with a business who needs to travel daily the extra cost per day is quite a lump to find over a year, it would probably be cheaper to buy a newer vehicle. A newer vehicle is by and large less polluting, but still polluting nevertheless. Even so, as a progressive measure banning of the older vehicles that are seemingly so dangerous is the only effective way to do something that’s going to have a quick impact on the real issue.

This extra charge is just a money maker in my eyes, a gimmic.

They will probably make even more money off non payers as the unpaid fine charge doubles.

There, I told you my concept was limited.

lawry

Free Member
Jun 25, 2017
MERTHYR TYDFIL
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840se
Exp
8 years
A list of actual announcements that LONDON TUBE train DRIVERS have made to their passengers :

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I do apologise for the delay to your service. I know you're all dying to get home unless, of course, you happen to be married to my ex-wife, in which case you'll want to cross over to the Westbound and go in the opposite direction".

"Your delay this evening is caused by the line controller suffering from backside and elbow syndrome, not knowing one from the other. I'll let you know any further information as soon as I'm given any."

Beggars are operating on this train, please do NOT encourage professional beggars, if you have any spare change you can give it to me."

During an extremely hot rush hour on the Central Line, the driver announced in a West Indian drawl: "step right this way for the sauna, ladies and gentleman... unfortunately towels are not provided".

"Let the passengers off the train FIRST!" (Pause...) "Oh go on then, stuff yourselves in like sardines, see if I care...."

"Please note that the beeping noise coming from the doors means that the doors are about to close. It does not mean throw yourself or your bags into the doors."

"We can't move off because some idiot has their f***ing hand stuck in the door"

"To the gentleman wearing the long grey coat trying to get on the second carriage - what part of 'stand clear of the doors' don't you understand?"

"Please move all baggage away from the doors (Pause...) Please move ALL belongings away from the doors (Pause...) This is a personal message to the man in the brown suit wearing glasses at the rear of the train - put the pie down, four-eyes, and move your bloody golf clubs away from the door before I come down there and shove them up your a**e sideways"

"Ladies and gentlemen, we apologise for the delay, but there is a security alert at Victoria station and we are therefore stuck here for the foreseeable future, so let's take our minds off it and pass some time together. All together now....'Ten green bottles, hanging on a wall...'".

"We are now travelling through Baker Street, as you can see Baker Street is closed. It would have been nice if they had actually told me, so I could tell you earlier, but no, they don't think about things like that".

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Exactly and is there any difference between the bus riff raff and the tube riff raff :)

Maybe the London Mayor doesn't think there will be that many people left in London after the big B :)

No. I rarely use any form of public transport. Defineitely not in winter whe n there would be a good chance of catching something off of someone. There'd be more chance of me walking than using it & that's from someone who doesn't like that either.

Actually if you use an Oyster card or a debit card (which works out cheaper over the week) the tube is quite reasonable and a very efficient means of getting around the city.
If you wish to pay with proper money you get asked to leave.:(
Over to you Buttons! :pop:

Craig
It wasn't safe in the late 70's. Business I ran in north London in old victorian premises ran 24hrs/day,at night you would have to exit the premises ,walk to the white line & follow that 200m to the top of the road . In two's & normally the West indians , who were the main staff ,would carry iron bars to defend themselves if the muggers who infested the doorways tried to set about them. & just to get something to eat.:D2

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
There is a serious side to this. Thousands of Londoners die each year attributed to the pollution. Over 400 schools are in areas exceeding the legal air quality levels.

Other major UK cities will follow.

Quite believable, but exactly how does charging people money to enter a given area improve the air quality?
Is the money raised to be spent on air cleaning measures for the buildings involved?
Doubt it.

Yet another good reason to keep away from the hole we call our capital.
We are, after all, foreigners there.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Probably too old fashioned to be true now, but @buttons mentioned there are millions of people never been on the underground, are there still people in London who have never been out of it to see how the rest of the country operates , and just put up with all the agro and rules because they don't know about the real world outside of London and think it's the same everywhere.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
On our tours I am always amazed when talking to southerners, that half of them have never heard of Blackpool and the other half say yes they have heard of it but never been, now that for anyone north of Birmingham is almost unbelievable.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
On our tours I am always amazed when talking to southerners, that half of them have never heard of Blackpool and the other half say yes they have heard of it but never been, now that for anyone north of Birmingham is almost unbelievable.

Well I'll hold my hands up. Only been to Leeds twice ,agonised over going the first time . Never been any further . far too cold for me .:cold: It's why I moved to the South west from London for some more hot.:hot:
Pontardowe once as the girls were swimming there & Caerphilly regulary as we had another factory there.
Apart from that I've never been elsewhere nor have I any interest in doing so. I've heard of Blackpool. :giggler: Never been as anything like that wouldn't interest me.
When I dropped the wife off this summer in Warwick she asked whether I had anyone I could visit up that way.:Eeek::laughing:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well I'll hold my hands up. Only been to Leeds twice ,agonised over going the first time . Never been any further . far too cold for me .:cold: It's why I moved to the South west from London for some more hot.:hot:
Pontardowe once as the girls were swimming there & Caerphilly regulary as we had another factory there.
Apart from that I've never been elsewhere nor have I any interest in doing so. I've heard of Blackpool. :giggler: Never been as anything like that wouldn't interest me.
When I dropped the wife off this summer in Warwick she asked whether I had anyone I could visit up that way.:Eeek::laughing:
That's true, if you are from down south you go to Brighton or margate or similar but the north go to Blackpool but I was just trying to show the difference between London and elsewhere.
Do they take all this stuff because they have never seen anywhere north of London.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The best bit , in London even if they immediately replaced all the vehicles with electric ones it would still be above some of the limits due to tyre and brake particulates. Its not only London , all over the world where people have decided to huddle together in a heap they have the same problems , dont understand the mentality ? Oxford City has been anti car for years , result most locals dont go there to shop , and they have just spent untold millions on the revamp and enlargement of the main shopping mall , to try and attract more trade !

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Being a Londoner I drive in and around the city area 3 days a week and have no problem with it, I guess being used to it helps and congestion as well as parking is paid by phone by the company, parking alone can be anything from £5 to £20 an hour 4 times a day. I've not been on a bus or a tube for about 25 years and never would due to the amount of people i see going in and out of the stations. I wouldn't hesitate in driving back into the city on a weekend to go shopping (y)

However, I did drive down a bike lane recently and frightened the hell out of a crowd of cyclists:ROFLMAO: they've made them so much wider now and you really do have to keep an eyes open for them:rolleyes:
Now waiting for a letter in the post:mad:

Rob

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Let us just assume you do drive into the centre of London, then what? Have you ever tried parking a Motorhome in the centre? If you could find anywhere, in the centre, could you afford the parking charges.
For those who have never visited our capitol, it may prove quite difficult to park outside of Harrods when you drop by to pick up your Christmas hamper.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Lets be honest here, if the government or anyone else that made decisions was really interested in cleaning up the pollution made from petrol or diesel driven vehicles they would be promoting the Hydrogen Fuel cell.
Truth is they don`t give a monkeys, what does the LEZ zone really mean? we know you are polluting the atmosphere which is very bad so we`ll put a charge on it, so as long as you pay you can keep on polluting.

What they should be doing is providing an alternative, ie cut the cost of public transport to encourage people out of their cars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back