Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Park your motorhome on your daughters drive and live in it while in this country, plug into her electric, offer to cut her grass, even invite them round for a meal now and then. (y)
Would love but they live city centre no parking 😔

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
What about a park home on a nice development with a manned gate and staff on site?
Yes I have looked at them but don’t feel ready for that. It is def something for the future. Think they look great 😊

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Hi Spidey, Helen and I live in a penthouse apartment in the centre of Edinburgh, we have 2 terraces which give us some outside space and 2 allocated parking spaces in an underground car park. We moved here from a large detached country town property 10 years ago, and would never go back.
We love no building, cleaning, garden, maintenance issues, all covered by factor, we pay £100 per month for this. We keep our camper in secure storage and love the lock and leave ability. We have a large park nearby for exercise and green space.
Agree though that it doesn’t work for everyone, if small things annoy you then think hard, there’s always something/someone that could upset you!! Every building has a nosy/fussy/know it all, but that’s life.

Bill
This is what is drawing me to a flat. Love the idea of no one above me. Lucky you living in the centre of Edinburgh, beautiful city. Maintenance free is a draw as well. I think it is letting go of the motorhome on the drive but there is compromises what ever you choose. 😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We used to do 6 month tours and used C&CC for House & Travel Insurance. But best thing we ever did was fit Hive to central heating system and now monitor the weather in UK when we are away, turning heating on/off as required. It paid for itself in first winter as previously we had to programme the heating to come on whilst we were away, irrespective of the weather, costing a lot of money
John
Great idea will look into that 😊

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I would focus on buying a property that suits you to live in longer term rather than focus on the locking and leaving element .

In many cases the worry of locking up and leaving is actually partly due to how you view risk and feel about security.

You can make lock and leave work with all sorts of properties especially given the easy access to remote monitoring (security and heating systems).

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
We want to travel about a lot, two 3 month stints if possible....... wondered whether we should go for a flat
O.K. if you're happy to be restricted to a flat for 6 months I guess but I'm not a worrier. I would rely on friends, neighbours, family to do occasional checks in addition to the insurance cover on the house (after notifying them of my absence if necessary).
I've never lived in a flat and wouldn't want to get dressed and go 'downstairs' to have my first brew in a possibly public area outdoors, or have the risk of noisy neighbours above, below and to the sides.
In fact I'd rather travel less or give up the m/h if it meant living in a flat, especially if denied my manshed and garden.

May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
In the days' when we were 'Ex - Pats', we sold our house and bought a 'Penthouse' apartnent in the UK; aka The Attic flat. Thirty years later we still own it , despite having emigrated to France in our retirement,

If you are going to move from a house to a flat always live above your neighbours, learnt that lesson over many years living in rented apartments, some of them costing a King's Ransom, but not immune to bad neighbors of whatever nationality., British included.

Last edited:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We moved from a fair sized house with very large garden 6 years ago and purchased a new spacious flat in block of 6. New motorhome away for 6 to 7 months a year. Easy to lock and leave. But!!! We had no garden, shared lobby, 4 of 6 flats rented, had our own garage (unusual) but always a parking problem. Decided to move this time last year, looked for bungalow, found lots suitable but not quite us. Then we saw an apartment on a private complex, ours stood in a block of 3. Loved it but thought we were crazy but we did it. 1st lockdown held things up and highlighted the space issues. We felt our new place should be different but still had reservations. Went ahead moved in September. We now have very nice communal gardens a good sized balcony on each bedroom and a very large private terrace. We love it.
So a long story but I guess the moral is "if you get the right apartment you're on a winner but it's not easy". Sorry to be so long winded. Take your time it's hard work if you get it wrong but great if you get it right.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Good to know will switch to them next time :giggle:
Be aware that they are pretty fussy about where they’ll insure - they refused us cover because within a certain distance from a watercourse, even though it’s a small beck (stream) and we’ve never flooded. Same with C&MC. If they’re willing to cover, great, but by no means automatic.

We ended up doing house insurance via NFU.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
We are about to move from a 4/5 bed house into a 2 bed, 2nd floor apartment in Cornwall for the ‘lock up and go‘ reasons. So we will see if we like it? Renting out our house so if it doesn’t suit we‘ll cash in the house and apartment and purchase a bungalow. Should say a 5min walk to the beach and town centre. Car parking will be an issues though...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
To those renting out their homes to go travelling, please please do it via a professional letting agent.

There are so many recently introduced traps for landlords that you might find you can’t get the tenant out when you think you can, if at all.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be aware that they are pretty fussy about where they’ll insure - they refused us cover because within a certain distance from a watercourse, even though it’s a small beck (stream) and we’ve never flooded. Same with C&MC. If they’re willing to cover, great, but by no means automatic.

We tried a quote from C&CC they wanted 3 times what we were paying but would reduce it by 30% if we didn't have flood cover below 2m.

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Hi we moved from a large house to a small 2bed bungalow, the previous owners had worked as wardens on caravan sites, so set up to be left for long periods and space for a twin axle caravan. (Can fit mh and tow car in that space). It is cheaper to run than another a leasehold property we also own. I am quiet sensitive to noise from neighbours as we have lived detached for 25 years, so a flat is not for us, its Whatever works for you, this was not right for my wife when we bought the bungalow, but she admitts it was the best move we could have done.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I live in a purpose built 1st floor flat and it is entirely self contained - no communal area as my front door is on the outside. Looks just like a house from the outside. No problem with parking as I have my own parking bay and manage to keep my MH at home.!
Flats can be great but I would only consider purpose built. Have no issue with the neighbour below - it’s my mum!!! 😂

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
But best thing we ever did was fit Hive to central heating system and now monitor the weather in UK when we are away, turning heating on/off as required. It paid for itself in first winter as previously we had to programme the heating to come on whilst we were away, irrespective of the weather, costing a lot of money
John
Agreed! We have a Google Nest system on our heating and can control it remotely from the phone.

It's a great piece of kit. And it shows what the outside temperature is at home when we are away in Spain, so no risk of frost damage. :giggle:(y)

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Perhaps if you get a bungalow with a large drive and garden ,you might find a “fulltimer” topark on your drive ,where you would normally park your van ,whilst you are away,to keep an eye on things 🤓

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
O.K. if you're happy to be restricted to a flat for 6 months I guess but I'm not a worrier. I would rely on friends, neighbours, family to do occasional checks in addition to the insurance cover on the house (after notifying them of my absence if necessary).
I've never lived in a flat and wouldn't want to get dressed and go 'downstairs' to have my first brew in a possibly public area outdoors, or have the risk of noisy neighbours above, below and to the sides.
In fact I'd rather travel less or give up the m/h if it meant living in a flat, especially if denied my manshed and garden.
Live in a flat,ground floor,,small garden and man shed..On the two days a year when it's warm enough for a cuppa outside I can have one but I always get dressed when I get out if bed so without privacy sitting outside would not be a problem.No noise from above or next door as they are purpose built flats. Enables us to lock up and leave for our usual twice yearly three months abroad each year.BUSBY.

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
To those renting out their homes to go travelling, please please do it via a professional letting agent.

There are so many recently introduced traps for landlords that you might find you can’t get the tenant out when you think you can, if at all.
We have 5 rental properties and have managed them ourselves for over 15 years. However as Chris rightly pointed out the laws are forever changing and with Covid the rules have changed again. If we were starting out now I would use a letting agent. It doesn't guarantee there wont be any issues but it helps.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We have 5 rental properties and have managed them ourselves for over 15 years. However as Chris rightly pointed out the laws are forever changing and with Covid the rules have changed again. If we were starting out now I would use a letting agent. It doesn't guarantee there wont be any issues but it helps.
So true,,see a bill was passed last week saying property owners cannot refuse to allow tenants to have pets.Would have thought your property your rules.BUSBY.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Had friends who sold everything furniture wise - moved into a 2.5 bed town house with small garden at front and they had a secure rear garden they flagged and had large pots on a watering system.They could walk out the door and go on holiday for weeks/ months ( and they did ! - non motorhomers) Nothing of sentimental value in house - they had sold antiques and were insured if anything went wrong ( it didn’t) Loved the easy maintenance house all mod cons ( was a downsize from farm house) got on well with neighbours as they had extra insulation for noise put in before they moved. Still enjoying it all ...

Jan 23, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
So true,,see a bill was passed last week saying property owners cannot refuse to allow tenants to have pets.Would have thought your property your rules.BUSBY.
That’s interesting. I thought the proposed legislation wasn’t an obligation on Landlords to allow pets, only an update to the “model tenancy agreement” which is recommended but not mandatory.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It's not law, just 'good practice' at present and I can't see it ever being passed into 'law', no more so than allowing smoking would be, however it will change the default stance which at present is for 'no pets' unless it specifies in the property ad that they do, and thus the new stance will be that they may allow pets unless it specifies they do not. If an application is received from someone with a pet the landlord then can say no, but needs to give a reason, fair enough, you don't have to accept the application in the first place anyway from the 'human' if you don't want to but that may be harder to back-up if they believe you are doing it for 'discriminatory' reasons.

We allow pets, always have, since we first purchased our rental bungalow new back in 2006 and other than cleaning the carpets which we'd have had to do regardless of pets, we've never had issues at all. You can't ask for a 'pet deposit' now which used be allowed however you can have a clause in the contract to require professional cleaning at the end of a tenancy, whether this is just for the carpets, or more, is up to the landlord.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We also have a number of properties, bought the first one over 40 years ago (and still own it).
For the last 25+ years I have always used an agent to find and vet all tenants.
We typically go through 2-4 sets of tenants each year as most stay around 3-4 years

If they have pets, they fail the vetting process.
(They also fail if their credit history is not 100%, if they don't have a regular wage, right of abode, jobs that they have held for at least 2 years, previous landlords that say OK, and so on.)

I've always had a 'no pets' rule, however we found one tennant bought a massive fish tank, in the 18 months he as there the ceilings and walls around the tank turned black with mold. Never again.

In another case the tenants asked if they could get a dog, we said no (basis the property was totally unsuitable for a dog) , they got a dog.
By the time they left 4 months later the dog had chewed up several meters of skirting board and the bottom of doors (we did say the property was not suited for dogs). Unsurprisingly they lost their deposit.
I also advised the other agents in town of the situation, so they won't be renting in that area anytime soon.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Back to the OP ... I'd recommend NOT going down the rental or air-bnb route as it will be your home when you're not travelling, and the last thing you want to have to deal with when away on your jollies is to have to mess about with issues in the UK. Budget so that you do NOT need to have income and you should be fine.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014

We have our motorhome cover with them. So that’s always an option. But when they quoted me last time they were more than double our current one. How long can you leave your house to go on a trip?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back