Lock up and leave property (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We recently retired and want to move sometime in the next couple of years. We want to travel about a lot, two 3 month stints if possible. Of course when we are allowed to. So the next move has to be a place that we feel safe leaving for an extended time. We don't want to worry about leaving it and wondered whether we should go for a flat. Never lived in one and wondered if we are just overthinking it. We want to move nearer our daughters in the next year. Is it ok to leave a house for months at a time?

We would love an airy open property with lots of garden when we are here but a compact safe one to leave when we are away. Has anyone moved to a flat and regretted it?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
A flat can have added security if in a "complex" .
Then again you could always "airbnb" or short term rent your house out for the 2 stints, with trusted tenants comes dosh and security.
How you find such tenants is the question

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
We recently retired and want to move sometime in the next couple of years. We want to travel about a lot, two 3 month stints if possible. Of course when we are allowed to. So the next move has to be a place that we feel safe leaving for an extended time. We don't want to worry about leaving it and wondered whether we should go for a flat. Never lived in one and wondered if we are just overthinking it. We want to move nearer our daughters in the next year. Is it ok to leave a house for months at a time?

We would love an airy open property with lots of garden when we are here but a compact safe one to leave when we are away. Has anyone moved to a flat and regretted it?
Just move next door to your daughter, she can use it as a bolt hole, studio, etc. Well it sounds like a plan anyway, she can keep an eye on it then whilst your away (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We lived in a couple of rented flats when first married as it was all the budget allowed. Would never consider a flat ever again. Without your own front door you get no peace from neighbours, also no control on who lives upstairs from you or underneath. Not all neighbours are pleasant or considerate. Plus there is always the thorny issue of parking spaces

Maybe a nice detached bungalow would work

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
A flat can have added security if in a "complex" .
Then again you could always "airbnb" or short term rent your house out for the 2 stints, with trusted tenants comes dosh and security.
How you find such tenants is the question
Good idea but hubbie would hate it. A trusted friend sounds good though.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Good point that is something we have checked our current insurance only allows 60 days. When we were working not a problem.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just move next door to your daughter, she can use it as a bolt hole, studio, etc. Well it sounds like a plan anyway, she can keep an eye on it then whilst your away (y)
Lol not sure my son in law would like that :LOL:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We lived in a couple of rented flats when first married as it was all the budget allowed. Would never consider a flat ever again. Without your own front door you get no peace from neighbours, also no control on who lives upstairs from you or underneath. Not all neighbours are pleasant or considerate. Plus there is always the thorny issue of parking spaces

Maybe a nice detached bungalow would work
That is one big worry of mine! We love our current house neighbours but we all have thick walls and not attached. Not sure I could put up with other peoples noise. So maybe a small house?

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
We leave our bungalow for three months at a time, even in the winter. Heating on very low, reasonable neighbourhood & insurance from Camping and Caravanning Club which has 180 days unoccupied without conditions. The neighbours have our number if anything major happens, & we haven’t got the Crown Jewels stashed away, so not as much to lose! 😀

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
My mum has moved into an apartment. It is a newly converted merchant’s house and one of the advantages for her is that, as well as a door from the communal hall, she has her own back door to the garden. It is perfect for her (age 88) but I don’t think I could live with a shared garden.
The other thing is you can hear people walking above you.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Main issue we had was stopping it freezing in winter---- we never left heating on-- apart from the cost was the risk of it failing , so we put antifreeze in heating system and drained/prepared everything else.
Worked for us for several years.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
As long as it's not particularly rural then detached or semi with neighbors and someone who can visit reasonably frequently (to remove post) is ok to leave for 6 months. Generally these types of property have parking so bonus when u are home.
Obviously with security and remotely viewable camera systems internal and external.
Depends when you go away as to whether you might need a gardener.
Insurance is no problem for 6 months away provided u can get the regular random visits arranged and maintain a set temperature over winter.
Hth

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We leave our bungalow for three months at a time, even in the winter. Heating on very low, reasonable neighbourhood & insurance from Camping and Caravanning Club which has 180 days unoccupied without conditions. The neighbours have our number if anything major happens, & we haven’t got the Crown Jewels stashed away, so not as much to lose! 😀
Good to know will switch to them next time :giggle:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

No ,,love our flat,,small garden,ample parking and easy to lock up and leave.BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's one member on here (can't remember who) that lives in a penthouse flat in the UK which works perfectly for them, something which I'd consider in the future.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Look into FHL's
Furnished Holiday Lets.

If you buy a house, that you like, in a holiday destination, seaside close to your daughter, with a drive to park the Motorhome.

In high season you rent the place out to holiday makers, in the low season you live in the house
It means the house pays for itself and is occupied whenever you are not there.

You need to buy the house carefully as it will need a number of features, such as a place to store all your personal stuff

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
As long as it's not particularly rural then detached or semi with neighbors and someone who can visit reasonably frequently (to remove post) is ok to leave for 6 months. Generally these types of property have parking so bonus when u are home.
Obviously with security and remotely viewable camera systems internal and external.
Depends when you go away as to whether you might need a gardener.
Insurance is no problem for 6 months away provided u can get the regular random visits arranged and maintain a set temperature over winter.
Hth
Yes we would love to keep our van near the house. Our neighbours are great here they look after the house, post etc but we really want to be nearer daughters. So just have to ensure I am not too far from them so they can pop in and check :giggle:

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
There's one member on here (can't remember who) that lives in a penthouse flat in the UK which works perfectly for them, something which I'd consider in the future.
I have been looking online at pent houses with big balconies. Not a huge amount of storage in any of them though.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Park your motorhome on your daughters drive and live in it while in this country, plug into her electric, offer to cut her grass, even invite them round for a meal now and then. (y)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Hi Spidey, Helen and I live in a penthouse apartment in the centre of Edinburgh, we have 2 terraces which give us some outside space and 2 allocated parking spaces in an underground car park. We moved here from a large detached country town property 10 years ago, and would never go back.
We love no building, cleaning, garden, maintenance issues, all covered by factor, we pay £100 per month for this. We keep our camper in secure storage and love the lock and leave ability. We have a large park nearby for exercise and green space.
Agree though that it doesn’t work for everyone, if small things annoy you then think hard, there’s always something/someone that could upset you!! Every building has a nosy/fussy/know it all, but that’s life.

Bill

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
We used to do 6 month tours and used C&CC for House & Travel Insurance. But best thing we ever did was fit Hive to central heating system and now monitor the weather in UK when we are away, turning heating on/off as required. It paid for itself in first winter as previously we had to programme the heating to come on whilst we were away, irrespective of the weather, costing a lot of money
John

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think purpose built flats have less noise issues than if you live in a conversion.

I bought a conversion flat in London in the late 1980’s and I think the flat above must have had the noisiest tenants ever. They would go out at night and get back at 5 am and have a party with really loud music.:mad:

Luckily I could cut their electricity supply from downstairs which I did on one occasion which caused a huge scene which stopped just short of violence, which on that occasion was just as well for them because I was furious.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What about a park home on a nice development with a manned gate and staff on site?
We looked at Park Homes,,ground rent high,,some more expensive than Council Tax and not really that secure regarding tenants rights..BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back