Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I think purpose built flats have less noise issues than if you live in a conversion.

I bought a conversion flat in London in the late 1980’s and I think the flat above must have had the noisiest tenants ever. They would go out at night and get back at 5 am and have a party with really loud music.:mad:

Luckily I could cut their electricity supply from downstairs which I did on one occasion which caused a huge scene which stopped just short of violence, which on that occasion was just as well for them because I was furious.
Doesn’t Scotland have better rules then England on noise transfer between flats. I seem to remember that they take decibels reading in the flat below before the building is signed off.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Then again you could always "airbnb" or short term rent your house out for the 2 stints, with trusted tenants comes dosh and security.
How you find such tenants is the question
we are hoping to air bnb our property later this year (when i have finished all the additional work).

we have previously and still would offer free motorhome parking, with free EHU, internet, water, drain etc at times though. so if you have that option, then its one worth considering for security.

there is a new wedding venue opening up around in VERY close proximity to us and we have an agent (friend of my daughter) who will manage it for us and the wedding venue are keen to 'work with us' as they dont and wont be offering accommodation. its a big step, but it will be a tiny one first .......

i would NEVER take on short term tenants, we already have six properties we rent out which work really well BUT our knowledge of how some people 'work' the laws regarding rental property would never make short term renting a viable and sensible option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Perhaps if you get a bungalow with a large drive and garden ,you might find a “fulltimer” topark on your drive ,where you would normally park your van ,whilst you are away,to keep an eye on things 🤓
not just a fulltimer. i am sure those who can travel/stay for a few weeks would be interested if the location offers lots to do, see or access.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Doesn’t Scotland have better rules then England on noise transfer between flats. I seem to remember that they take decibels reading in the flat below before the building is signed off.
For me it wouldn't have to be measurable on any scale. I don't want to have to hear snatches of someone else's music, TV programme or shouting however faint or intermittent.

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
We have our motorhome cover with them. So that’s always an option. But when they quoted me last time they were more than double our current one. How long can you leave your house to go on a trip?
From memory, if over 60 days absence you have to have a named person calling in weekly to check all ok, and out of summer months you have to have heating on for frost protection ( or system drained.). We have a neighbour who does the weekly calls, so we start that from beginning - it’s a bit unclear at what stage the weekly visits need to begin, though.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
For me it wouldn't have to be measurable on any scale. I don't want to have to hear snatches of someone else's music, TV programme or shouting however faint or intermittent.
No idea what the limits are, I know some don’t allow laminate flooring it has to be carpet.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
From memory, if over 60 days absence you have to have a named person calling in weekly to check all ok, and out of summer months you have to have heating on for frost protection ( or system drained.). We have a neighbour who does the weekly calls, so we start that from beginning - it’s a bit unclear at what stage the weekly visits need to begin, though.
I'm sure that absent owners could get a pet visiting lady to look in once a week to feed the insurance company's needs.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Perhaps if you get a bungalow with a large drive and garden ,you might find a “fulltimer” topark on your drive ,where you would normally park your van ,whilst you are away,to keep an eye on things 🤓
Good idea 😊

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Doesnt sound as if motorhoming is a good hobby for you then unless you wild camp all the time.. :giggle: :giggle: BUSBY.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Doesn't sound as if motorhoming is a good hobby for you then unless you wild camp all the time.. :giggle: :giggle: BUSBY.
Mercifully my house has been unsullied by neighbour noise for 37 years. I don't stop anywhere with the m/h for more than two nights. :giggle:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Very good idea, last thing you want is someone playing the Bagpipes 😱😱😱😱
... or breeding haggi ... they can be noisy little grunters especially when mating!

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We looked at Park Homes,,ground rent high,,some more expensive than Council Tax and not really that secure regarding tenants rights..BUSBY.
We have lived in a park home for 25 years and I can’t get my wife to live anywhere else, not even a seafront appartment, you DO have security regarding tenants rights on a proper Licensed RESIDENTIAL park home park but not on a static holiday park which thousands of people live on permanently, which they do, and vacate them usually for about one month per year (as per site rules) and go off to Spain/Portugal for a month or two, on a park home site depending where you chose you can be on the lowest council tax band as we are, rent is acceptable, we go away in winter for months at a time knowing our house is quite safe, we once forgot to lock the main front door whilst away in Italy for a month, came home no problem, everything as we left it, your park home is detached, you have a little garden we have a fairly long drive on which we keep our car and Motorhome, park home maintenance is low, and when we are away neighbours always keep an eye on things as most are retired so always someone around, balance that against a flat where your neighbours are mostly out working, so you never see them but you know when they are home because you can hear their doors shutting, hear their television and all their conversation if you are unlucky enough to have neighbours in a flat who have a dog that they leave in the flat, oh yes some do, and the dog weed in the corridors on the way out, etc,etc. a park home may be worth considering.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I think you are over thinking this?when you decide what ever home you choose,ensure you have good security, don’t leave lots of valuable items out on display when going away and make sure you have good insurance.
it’s very unlikely you will ever be burgled especially if you take good advice on security?
The last thing you want is to be stressed worrying about being burgled whilst on holiday.
Just go out and enjoy your van, life is to short as it is?😊

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Be careful with Park Homes ('proper' residential ones) as they can have a lot of rules for the site, high site fees in addition to your council tax and more importantly if you sell you can be hit with a high commission charge on the sale, as much as 15% (possibly + VAT) so are unlikely to get back what you paid for it when you come to sell unless you've been there for a long time.

We had static caravans with their own large gardens, drives, decking and conservatories (yes really!) on a site near Conningsby which although residential only had a 10 month licence so closed for February/March each year, so owners had to vacate it for 2 months every year, no letting was allowed but it was permitted to allow other members of your family use it in your absence so long as they didn't cause issues. The family owned site was lovely being right near the river (high banking!), very relaxed, and cheap with a low service charge, low council tax (for permanent residents but not holiday home owners) and importantly NO commission on sales/purchases whatsoever. We got to know quite a few of those who lived there and the regular visitors who were all lovely and were very unhappy when we had to sell as one of our dogs wouldn't go outside due to the noise of the bird scarers so no point in keeping it. Its a site we'd certainly consider going to on a permanent basis in the future if we wanted to as it was like a 'village' and not set out in long regimented rows like most sites are, each pitch had its own fenced garden with no walking between them as you do on some sites so we all had our privacy if we wanted it but equally it was nice to chat to others.

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have lived in a park home for 25 years and I can’t get my wife to live anywhere else, not even a seafront appartment, you DO have security regarding tenants rights on a proper Licensed RESIDENTIAL park home park but not on a static holiday park which thousands of people live on permanently, which they do, and vacate them usually for about one month per year (as per site rules) and go off to Spain/Portugal for a month or two, on a park home site depending where you chose you can be on the lowest council tax band as we are, rent is acceptable, we go away in winter for months at a time knowing our house is quite safe, we once forgot to lock the main front door whilst away in Italy for a month, came home no problem, everything as we left it, your park home is detached, you have a little garden we have a fairly long drive on which we keep our car and Motorhome, park home maintenance is low, and when we are away neighbours always keep an eye on things as most are retired so always someone around, balance that against a flat where your neighbours are mostly out working, so you never see them but you know when they are home because you can hear their doors shutting, hear their television and all their conversation if you are unlucky enough to have neighbours in a flat who have a dog that they leave in the flat, oh yes some do, and the dog weed in the corridors on the way out, etc,etc. a park home may be worth considering.
I keep looking at them, some are expensive but are in lovely locations. I just don't know much about them, but will be looking into them. I like the idea of a community feel about them. We have great neighbours where we are but its a lottery what you get when you move.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Be careful with Park Homes ('proper' residential ones) as they can have a lot of rules for the site, high site fees in addition to your council tax and more importantly if you sell you can be hit with a high commission charge on the sale, as much as 15% (possibly + VAT) so are unlikely to get back what you paid for it when you come to sell unless you've been there for a long time.

We had static caravans with their own large gardens, drives, decking and conservatories (yes really!) on a site near Conningsby which although residential only had a 10 month licence so closed for February/March each year, so owners had to vacate it for 2 months every year, no letting was allowed but it was permitted to allow other members of your family use it in your absence so long as they didn't cause issues. The family owned site was lovely being right near the river (high banking!), very relaxed, and cheap with a low service charge, low council tax (for permanent residents but not holiday home owners) and importantly NO commission on sales/purchases whatsoever. We got to know quite a few of those who lived there and the regular visitors who were all lovely and were very unhappy when we had to sell as one of our dogs wouldn't go outside due to the noise of the bird scarers so no point in keeping it. Its a site we'd certainly consider going to on a permanent basis in the future if we wanted to as it was like a 'village' and not set out in long regimented rows like most sites are, each pitch had its own fenced garden with no walking between them as you do on some sites so we all had our privacy if we wanted it but equally it was nice to chat to others.
That sounds like the site at Chapel Hill by the River Witham, Minxy!
BIL has a static there where he and his wife stay when not in Spain......:unsure:(y)

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
We bought a lock up and leave house with no garden when we finished fulltiming, knowing the kids wouldn't be around too much longer.

It's worked out just fine until about last March!
Now in lockdown it would be lovely to have a nice big garden, despite having stunning countryside on our doorstep.

We also now have six air b and bs / holiday let's within 150 yards of our house and it's peeing us off seeing people come and go.

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
We bought a lock up and leave house with no garden when we finished fulltiming, knowing the kids wouldn't be around too much longer.

We also now have six air b and bs / holiday let's within 150 yards of our house and it's peeing us off seeing people come and go.
Shop the bu##ers! :confused:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

It's worked out just fine until about last March!
Now in lockdown it would be lovely to have a nice big garden, despite having stunning countryside on our doorstep.

Just been on air b and b site for a look.There is an option button asking if your travelling for work,,tick no and they still accept your booking,,ridiculous.BUSBY.

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Just been on air b and b site for a look.There is an option button asking if your travelling for work,,tick no and they still accept your booking,,ridiculous.BUSBY.
That's interesting. I had seen the info about work etc but hadn't tried booking.
We have literally just seen a taxi pull up with a couple with suitcases with airline tags on arrive at one.
It'll be good to know they are self isolating.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That sounds like the site at Chapel Hill by the River Witham, Minxy!
BIL has a static there where he and his wife stay when not in Spain......:unsure:(y)
That's the one ... lovey place we had the first plot on the left when going in the first entrance near the bridge with a large drive, well 2 actually, so no problem with keeping our camper on it, however we then got one further in near the banking as it had central heating and one of only a few where we could actually store our camper due to safety distance rules between caravans because we had gas in the camper. Loved them both.

o11.JPG
corner.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back