Living with Lorries

Lot lover

Funster
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But never when one lorry overtakes another. Though it can be fun trying to determine which of the speed decals on the rear is being ignored when they seem to be speeding.

OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Funster
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Would be good to allow them to "speed up" by say 10mph when overtaking, just to save everybody else's boredom. I shall have to join a truckers' site to find out what they think. So many examples of a lorry having to pull out to overtake a car doing 50mph. Should never happen. How the French get away with NO lorries moving on a Sunday, beats me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
MH
Hymer B678 Dynamic Line
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the UK speed limit is 60 mph on Motorway but they have governors fitted that limit them to 90 kmh (56 mph) but they go faster downhill as I think the governor only works on the engine a bit like cheap cruise contols.
I convinced most Spanish lorries have there govenors disabled.

OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Funster
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
This is a true story, pictures available. A30 into Cornwall, I was overtaken by a truck doing 90mph. I was doing 75mph and he left me standing. It was slightly downhill, I grant you, but why did it have to do 90mph? Just because it could? A30 there is dual carriageway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
MH
N&B Flair 8000 IVECO
Exp
since 2012
This is a true story, pictures available. A30 into Cornwall, I was overtaken by a truck doing 90mph. I was doing 75mph and he left me standing. It was slightly downhill, I grant you, but why did it have to do 90mph? Just because it could? A30 there is dual carriageway.
Sounds like he had no brakes;)

tacr2man

Funster
MH
Bucher Duro 6x6 motorhome
Exp
since 1968
There are a certain group that are a bit cavalier about disabling or generously setting limiters , same heritage as a certain group of tuggers, monitoring and checking in UK of native truckers is pretty rigorous.

2x2camper

Funster
Would be good to allow them to "speed up" by say 10mph when overtaking, just to save everybody else's boredom. I shall have to join a truckers' site to find out what they think. So many examples of a lorry having to pull out to overtake a car doing 50mph. Should never happen. How the French get away with NO lorries moving on a Sunday, beats me.

What you want a 44 tonne lorry which can legally do 60mph now to be able to do 70mph.

Last edited:

tinks703

Funster
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
No trucks are not going any faster. In 1969 when I was a service engineer driving home up the M1 a truck overtook me. I was doing 80mph and it came past me, twin stacks and smokin man.. The trailer was a low loader with an 80 ton casting loaded on to it. These were the days with no central barrier (not that would be any good). I eased off and let it go. There used to be a lot of owner drivers those days with highly tuned motors. Smoky and the bandit!!!

SMC Motorhomes Newark
RoadPro
Johns Cross
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Rhino Installs
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
Free Club Stickers
Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle Services