Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
Trucks don't bother me...

I only go 50 mph max.

At the first possible place, I let all traffic behind me go past...

Stress free travel... no rush... peace man, peace!

JJ :cool:
I do exactly the same except the part where you pull in to let them pass.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Coaches are allowed to run @65mph and only lane one and two on a three lane carriageway.
when did they stop them using the third ,or fourth ,lane ?

Buses inc Double Deckers/Coaches/Minibuses are legally allowed to travel at up to 70 MPH on UK motorways. A European Directive is in place to restrict there max. speed to 100 KMH - approximately 62 MPH.
They might be but the EU directive takes precedence on safety grounds therefore they are restricted legally to the lower speed in the UK.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I do exactly the same except the part where you pull in to let them pass.

Well you must be a far braver man than me.

I would be scared to have a lengthening line of vehicles, driven by increasingly impatient drivers, behind me...

...especially if they are Brits or Portuguese! ;)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
when did they stop them using the third ,or fourth ,lane ?
Coaches banned from fast lane
Christian Wolmar
Thursday 26 January 1995 01:02

Click to follow
The Independent
Coaches are to be banned from the fast lane of motorways despite protests from carriers that this will increase risk to passengers, writes Christian Wolmar.

The ban, announced yesterday by Brian Mawhinney, Secretary of State for Transport, will take effect on 1 January next year, the same date speed limiters restricting coaches to 65mph become mandatory for all coaches built since 1974.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Just to clarify my post above, here are the speed limits for STGO (special types)

STGO Categories
Class Gross weight Speed
Cat 1 46 ton 60 mph motorway
Cat 2 80 ton 40 mph Motorway 35 mph on Dual Carriageways
Cat 3 150 ton 30 mph Motorway 25 mph on Dual carriageways
Movement Order Required 150 ton plus -
Bear in mind these are the speed limits not necessarily the limiter limits

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
If you break the speed limit nothing can happen to you regarding the speeding unless you are caught by speeding camera or police car.
Lorries have got a tachograph which not only records their speed but also their driving hours not only for the week but also the previous week. These can be checked at any time at checkpoints both permanent and temporary. They can also be checked at random by the Ministry of Transport weeks or months later and if an offence is found they can check even further back. They could lose not only their licence but their livelihood because of being caught once. Most lorry drivers appreciate the concequences but there is always the odd idiot who doesn't think or care:(

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
No trucks are not going any faster. In 1969 when I was a service engineer driving home up the M1 a truck overtook me. I was doing 80mph and it came past me, twin stacks and smokin man.. The trailer was a low loader with an 80 ton casting loaded on to it. These were the days with no central barrier (not that would be any good). I eased off and let it go. There used to be a lot of owner drivers those days with highly tuned motors. Smoky and the bandit!!!

In the early 80s I bought a Dutch spec Scania 141 from a Dutch pig exporter in Holland. On the way home with it I picked up an unaccompanied trailer loaded with chipboard in Dover for delivery to Stoke. Dover-Stoke without a break. That thing would run off the clock, but the price to pay was 4.5 miles to the gallon.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I actually saw a scania 730 last night. Rated as the 5th most powerful truck in the world.
Owner/driver hauling livestock?
Seemed a bit Ott just for that? We are getting far more of the "double b's" is it?
Artic towing another artic trailer on a double bogey 5th wheel.legal here last 3 years.
Max of 75t, 80kph, 25,25M length,minimum journey distance 150kms, permanent flashing yellowleds f&rear, need 5 years class1 + additional training but no additional test.restricted to mways and A roads.
You see a few now on the A23 daily.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I actually saw a scania 730 last night. Rated as the 5th most powerful truck in the world.
Owner/driver hauling livestock?
Seemed a bit Ott just for that? We are getting far more of the "double b's" is it?
Artic towing another artic trailer on a double bogey 5th wheel.legal here last 3 years.
Max of 75t, 80kph, 25,25M length,minimum journey distance 150kms, permanent flashing yellowleds f&rear, need 5 years class1 + additional training but no additional test.restricted to mways and A roads.
You see a few now on the A23 daily.
There is a firm in Lincolnshire been pushing for them here in the Uk for trunk runs etc. Big Volvo or scania in the uk are usually small firms or owner drivers . Large firms go for the normal size trucks.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The big horsepower trucks if specced single drive absolutely kill drive tyres . as a few have found to their cost !

Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp
with globle warming, fumes near houses we need to go back to the old days move thing around by canel boat, barges ,trains.ban lorrys most are to big for county lanes look at verges damaged,

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Would be good to allow them to "speed up" by say 10mph when overtaking, just to save everybody else's boredom. I shall have to join a truckers' site to find out what they think. So many examples of a lorry having to pull out to overtake a car doing 50mph. Should never happen. How the French get away with NO lorries moving on a Sunday, beats me.
Your last sentence is not quite correct.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There is a firm in Lincolnshire been pushing for them here in the Uk for trunk runs etc. Big Volvo or scania in the uk are usually small firms or owner drivers . Large firms go for the normal size trucks.
Driver retention is another motivator for a big engine truck. Guys who are used to a V8 will be harder to poach.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
with globle warming, fumes near houses we need to go back to the old days

Great idea but I think that Jim'll need to change the name of the forum

cart.jpg

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
On a recent trip up the M5 in the car doing a steady 70 in the middle lane passing a couple of lorries with fairly heavy traffic I had a artic lorry trying to push me, lights flashing trying to force me to go faster. Traffic in front and coming up in the fast lane there was no way I could go any faster. Needles to say he was stuck to my bumper until I could get out.
So yes they are certainly getting faster or lunatics are now driving them

Deleted User
On a recent trip up the M5 in the car doing a steady 70 in the middle lane passing a couple of lorries with fairly heavy traffic I had a artic lorry trying to push me, lights flashing trying to force me to go faster. Traffic in front and coming up in the fast lane there was no way I could go any faster. Needles to say he was stuck to my bumper until I could get out.

There are idiots in all walks of life, trucks are not getting faster, they are limited to 90kph (56 mph),even though the actual speed limit is 60mph, downhill it is possible to overrun the limiter.
If the truck was exceeding 70mph on the flat then the limiter was disabled and running illegally.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It could be a 7.5 ton as they can do 70 and in the mirror the cab looks as big as any other truck. Still not good tailgating though.

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I was just wondering about this after being overtaken by artic lorries recently. I set the cruise to 56/7 so I could poodle along and not catch or annoy trucks but a few have passed be going much quicker

swiftsteve

LIFE MEMBER
May 16, 2018
kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral S 680 ST
Exp
Since 2008, with a gap between 2013 and 2018.
I was just wondering about this after being overtaken by artic lorries recently. I set the cruise to 56/7 so I could poodle along and not catch or annoy trucks but a few have passed be going much quicker
When you think your'e doing 56mph, you are probably only doing around 52mph. The odometer in a lorry has to be a lot more accurate and tally with the tacho. Have a look at your actual speed on your sat nav, my moho is only travelling at 65mph when the speedo reads 70mph.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
even if you got the speed spot on you cannot compensate for momentum or gravity. All speeds will vary depending on inclines, loading and the power characteristics of the vehicles.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
But you wouldn't have been doing '70' as your speedo by law has to overread ,whereas the trucks is supposed to be 100% accurate& showing the actual speed. You were lucky to be doing 63mph..
It could be a 7.5 ton as they can do 70 and in the mirror the cab looks as big as any other truck. Still not good tailgating though.
When did they stop them using the outside lane then ? I used to have trouble getting past scaffolding lorries in the outside lane cruising at 90.:LOL:
As others have said you would have been lucky to be doing 51/2

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My brother used to drive artics for the GPO on the Irish mail run to Cairnryan where most of the A75 is limited to 40mph. One of the other drivers had a wagon on his bumper for a few miles, flashing his headlights and sounding his horn, when they arrived at the ferry terminal, the Southern Irish driver of the other wagon threatened to "rip his head off" if he ever "held him up again".

Deleted User
My brother used to drive artics for the GPO on the Irish mail run to Cairnryan where most of the A75 is limited to 40mph. One of the other drivers had a wagon on his bumper for a few miles, flashing his headlights and sounding his horn, when they arrived at the ferry terminal, the Southern Irish driver of the other wagon threatened to "rip his head off" if he ever "held him up again".

A well known phenomenon....never get in the way of a Paddy going for the ferry!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Goods vehicles with a design weight over 3.5 tonnes and buses with more than 8 passenger seats (regardless of weight) registered on or after 1 January 2005, are required to be fitted with a road speed limiter. The limiter will restrict the maximum powered speed to 56mph (90km/h) for goods vehicles, and 62mph (100km/h) for buses. A speed limiter will not be required until 1 January 2008, however for vehicles used solely on UK journeys and are either: •a goods vehicle with a design weight not exceeding 7.5 tonnes, or; •a bus with a design weight not exceeding 5 tonnes
Vehicles registered between 1 October 2001 and 31 December 2004 (inclusive), also need a road speed limiter if they are: •a diesel engined goods vehicle with a design weight over 3.5 tonnes, but not exceeding 12 tonnes, or; •a diesel engined bus fitted with more than 8 passenger seats and has a design weight not exceeding 10 tonnes. Vehicles used on international journeys need to be fitted with a speed limiter by 1 January 2006, while vehicles used solely on UK journeys will need a limiter by 1 January 2007.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back