Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
But never when one lorry overtakes another. Though it can be fun trying to determine which of the speed decals on the rear is being ignored when they seem to be speeding.

OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
Would be good to allow them to "speed up" by say 10mph when overtaking, just to save everybody else's boredom. I shall have to join a truckers' site to find out what they think. So many examples of a lorry having to pull out to overtake a car doing 50mph. Should never happen. How the French get away with NO lorries moving on a Sunday, beats me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In the UK speed limit is 60 mph on Motorway but they have governors fitted that limit them to 90 kmh (56 mph) but they go faster downhill as I think the governor only works on the engine a bit like cheap cruise contols.
I convinced most Spanish lorries have there govenors disabled.

OP
OP
Quick Quick

Quick Quick

Free Member
Apr 25, 2017
Clevedon, N Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 510
Exp
4 years
This is a true story, pictures available. A30 into Cornwall, I was overtaken by a truck doing 90mph. I was doing 75mph and he left me standing. It was slightly downhill, I grant you, but why did it have to do 90mph? Just because it could? A30 there is dual carriageway.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is a true story, pictures available. A30 into Cornwall, I was overtaken by a truck doing 90mph. I was doing 75mph and he left me standing. It was slightly downhill, I grant you, but why did it have to do 90mph? Just because it could? A30 there is dual carriageway.
Sounds like he had no brakes;)

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There are a certain group that are a bit cavalier about disabling or generously setting limiters , same heritage as a certain group of tuggers, monitoring and checking in UK of native truckers is pretty rigorous.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Would be good to allow them to "speed up" by say 10mph when overtaking, just to save everybody else's boredom. I shall have to join a truckers' site to find out what they think. So many examples of a lorry having to pull out to overtake a car doing 50mph. Should never happen. How the French get away with NO lorries moving on a Sunday, beats me.

What you want a 44 tonne lorry which can legally do 60mph now to be able to do 70mph.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
They don't .Anything with food, fresh produce, live animals is exempt. There are still plenty dotted about on sundays when I drive through.

Trucks with props and equipment for theatre shows are exempt too...

JJ :cool:

Jan 31, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
CI Cipro 85
Exp
im a newbie
No trucks are not going any faster. In 1969 when I was a service engineer driving home up the M1 a truck overtook me. I was doing 80mph and it came past me, twin stacks and smokin man.. The trailer was a low loader with an 80 ton casting loaded on to it. These were the days with no central barrier (not that would be any good). I eased off and let it go. There used to be a lot of owner drivers those days with highly tuned motors. Smoky and the bandit!!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
LGV’s are limited at between 50mph and 56mph. Companies limit them @50mph to save fuel the law limits them @52 or @56 by weight. If pulled by the authorities and the tachograph shows an over speed they will be prosecuted but it’s the same old same old. The chances of that are very low so high speeds downhill are common.
Coaches are allowed to run @65mph and only lane one and two on a three lane carriageway.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What annoys me is truck overtaking truck on the governor.
It can take a minute or more to travel far enough to pass the slower truck. Don't know what that equates to in actual speed but call it 1mph to 2mph faster.
So, providing the overtaking truck isn't held up further on, which is unlikely, after one hour he's gained a whole two miles at the most.

cts1975

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
I'ma newbie
LGV’s are limited at between 50mph and 56mph. Companies limit them @50mph to save fuel the law limits them @52 or @56 by weight. If pulled by the authorities and the tachograph shows an over speed they will be prosecuted but it’s the same old same old. The chances of that are very low so high speeds downhill are common.
Coaches are allowed to run @65mph and only lane one and two on a three lane carriageway.

Buses inc Double Deckers/Coaches/Minibuses are legally allowed to travel at up to 70 MPH on UK motorways. A European Directive is in place to restrict there max. speed to 100 KMH - approximately 62 MPH.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I
I' think you need to get your speedo checked, I 've driven a lot of lorries but not yet come across one that will do 90 mph.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
You must be aware that the speed limiters are exempt on Irish , Spanish Polish and other EU Reg trucks as they think fit, and of course all UK registered Tipper and Waste Bulkers are also exempt!!!!!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The law as it stands is 60 mph for HGV (except STGO) but they have to have the limiter set at 56 MPH. Any lower is by company requirements.
Weight zones as such has no bearing unless under STGO rules not the 44 tonnes HGV
Also bear in mind that there is an on board record of their speed which can be downloaded from a passing police/dvla vehicle for the more modern vehicle tachographs and that record is live for 30 days and the driver could and would be prosecuted for offences committed during the previous 30 days unlike other non tachograph vehicles that get away with lots more and no records kept.
Yes, of course there's cowboys about who'll push the law but percentage wise, less likely to commit as many offences as other vehicle drivers.
Remember, the company also has weekly/monthly print outs and if they don't deal with the rogue drivers then they're also liable for prosecution.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You must be aware that the speed limiters are exempt on Irish , Spanish Polish and other EU Reg trucks as they think fit, and of course all UK registered Tipper and Waste Bulkers are also exempt!!!!!
Certainly appears that way

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
And thats the best fact on this thread.