leisure battery queery, really. (1 Viewer)

jezza

Free Member
Feb 25, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne
Exp
newbie (ish!)
hi guys. my first time on here, so hi one and all.
i have just a question for now.
i recently bought a clarke 4000 jump start pack. it has a 12v ciggarette style plug-in for phone charger, tv, etc.. however, if my leisure battery were to let me down, could i safely hook the crock clips of the jump pack to the leisure battery directly so that it would support the leisure battery to power habitation lights aswell?
any tech knowledge would be very appreciated. cheers!

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
:welc:
can't help you with the question though.....sorry

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
welcome from me too

simple answer to question, you can safely connect it but it wont do anything worthwhile, all it would do is very quickly flatten your back up unit trying to put charge into your leisure battery

You might get a few minutes more use that's all

They are only designed to give a very short burst of high power to a starter battery

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
if my leisure battery were to let me down, could i safely hook the crock clips of the jump pack to the leisure battery directly so that it would support the leisure battery to power habitation lights aswell?

yes.. in an emergency, no reason why not..

however.. I would caution against letting your leisure battery getting to such low state of charge that it won't power the lights..

.. it should never be discharged below 12v .. roughly 50% .. capacity.. doing so will shorten it's life considerably, .. take it down too low and it may not recover.. if yours won't power the lights it must be well down.. probably lower than 10v.

as David mentioned.. it will try to charge the flat battery.. only way to stop that is to disconnect the leisure battery and just use the power pack

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Can't see why not but note sure how long you would get out of it, what ah capacity is the booster battery.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It only has a 38 A/H battery in it, would keep you going for an evening in summer, you wouldn't want to take more than 20 A/H out of it to avoid wrecking it's battery.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Hi. Personally I'd say if the leisure battery was "dead" as in faulty, then disconnect it (-ve first) - then use the battery pack + to + and - to chassis. If the battery is dead, you don't want to waste your power putting energy into it.

As a last resort though, leisure batteries should be reliable, if not change them. You should have enough capacity for your anticipated usage, never get below 50% if you can. And most control panels let you switch to vehicle battery anyway for emergency situations?

So your idea may work on a technical level, but not on the ideal level.

OP
OP
J

jezza

Free Member
Feb 25, 2015
dorset
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne
Exp
newbie (ish!)
wow! firstly, thanx to all of you who have taken the time to pass on a bit of advice to a newbie. ive taken all the advice on board you've given. luckily, my batts should be ok. got a new 110ah (albeit a lion brand) and the original 75ah good cond batt. just like to look ahead.
so, thanx again, guys. shall hook back up soon.

Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi im going to have 2x110 how long do you think they would last when wilding regards steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just had to buy four new 110ah batteries.
the charger was banging in 35amps to the dead ones to no availe so a booster pack with a 38ah source battery would stand no chance in a totally dead battery stuation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back