LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far) (1 Viewer)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
These products do not have ECE approval, which means they must not be used on public roads in any exterior application."
Back in the 60's we used to buy 75 watt sealed beam units for Morris Minors & Mini's they always used to say "Not for off road use only" same with 100 watt Cibie spot lamps, never stopped anyone fitting them.

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
I’ve received a reply from WHICH? As below....

“Hello Russell,

Thanks for getting in touch about LED headlight bulbs.

I’ve taken a look into this for you and can confirm that it isn’t something that we’ve reported on at this point.

I’ve passed your query on to our research team as a suggestion for future investigation, so if it’s something that lots of people have requested, it’s likely that we’ll consider publishing a report in the future.”
From Will Jones at WHICH?

Maybe we should request an investigation on behalf of the club? Jimbo?

Cheers!

Russ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
I’ve received a reply from WHICH? As below....

“Hello Russell,

Thanks for getting in touch about LED headlight bulbs.

I’ve taken a look into this for you and can confirm that it isn’t something that we’ve reported on at this point.

I’ve passed your query on to our research team as a suggestion for future investigation, so if it’s something that lots of people have requested, it’s likely that we’ll consider publishing a report in the future.”
From Will Jones at WHICH?

Maybe we should request an investigation on behalf of the club? Jimbo?

Cheers!

Russ
Thanks for this Russ, if nothing else we (those here who are interested) could separately contact them asking about LED bulbs and hope they do something about it 😆

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Drew, you've started a firestorm on here🤣🤣🤣.
Just caught your thread.
I believe that Bob picked up the idea from a vid by Gadget John.
I fitted LEDs, Dip 2X H7 & Main 2X H15, to our 2014 X250 in January and found them to be excellent, although we've not been out much this year.............. 😢
I don’t suppose you’d have the time to tell us how you did the job, would you? Was it tricky getting to the back of the headlight unit?

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
I've just stumbled upon this thread, it has everything!

I saw Bob's video and was shocked that he would even consider changing his bulbs, yet alone go ahead and do it. What was he thinking?!! It impressed me that he actually did it, the rascal.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
I don’t suppose you’d have the time to tell us how you did the job, would you? Was it tricky getting to the back of the headlight unit?
I would have explained it better but Bob’s video does a good job of it.

In case you missed it here is the link

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
C
Last night I went up the motorway to try out the multibeam lights on the Merc - it’s been complaining of a dirty camera so I gave the windscreen a good clean inside and out, and added a layer of RainX.

Anyway, a marked X5 police car thundered past with no flashing blue lights or sirens. After it passed I sped up to see what speed he/she was doing - 95mph!? I then slowed to 70 again.

These are the people who are supposed to enforce the laws of the road, and keep everyone in line with regulations... 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I should really have reported it but it happens so often I can’t be bothered.

Their headlights were pretty good tho 😉
Could have been on what is known as a "silent approach" for operational reasons.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
C

Could have been on what is known as a "silent approach" for operational reasons.
Yes I’d incorrectly assumed they wouldn’t be allowed to do this, since the NHS went to the trouble of fitting a permanent blue light to the back of their ambulances - apparently the speed cameras often went off in sequence with the flashing lights being off, which led to discrepancies as to whether a speeding ambulance was actually responding to an incident.

I don’t know where I heard/read that but it’s very specific to dream up 😂

Coop

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Highline
Exp
+35 years (Still Learning)
Hi, the easiest method is to first remove the headlamps, follow one of these links to YouTube for a demo –

Earlier models X250

Later X290

I hope these help.
Cheers….

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Oh dear I've just got a pair of those LED H7's by accident. Put them in my Amazon basket on Thursday while I was thinking about it & thought I'd better check my bulbs are H7.
Then on Friday I ordered something else and I thought that shouldn't be that expensive, oh sh*t, bulbs arrived yesterday. :LOL:

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Thanks Coop.

Lenny HB, d’you know, the exact same thing happened to me too, except that a pair of H1s and some W5Ws also happened to fall into my basket as well. Then Amazon told me they’d be arriving tomorrow! What’s a bloke to do?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Coop, when you fitted your main beam bulbs on the x250, did you install them at any particular angle? Vertically, or diagonally, like DrewE127?

Jan 10, 2015
East sussex
Funster No
MH
2002 Eura mobile
Exp
Since 2014
Didn’t want to go here LOL but this is on the Autobulbsdirect website mainly regarding MOT - if it passes an MOT, the insurance should be valid?! It can’t be different rules for different authorities.....

What do the MOT Guides say about LED bulbs​

Check HID and LED headlamps for mandatory levelling and cleaning devices” and the assessor needs to check the lighting for “Operation“, “Security” and “Condition” which essentially means that they need to make sure that they work and are fitted correctly.

That’s it. Nothing else is mentioned regarding the use of LED headlight bulbs.

Now you would be forgiven for thinking that aftermarket LED bulbs would therefore fail an MOT as you would not have a self-levelling or headlight cleaning system installed. However Section 4.1.5 of the MOT inspection manual states that not all vehicles are fitted with a levelling device so if your vehicle doesn’t have one, it would not be tested.

With no other mention of after-market LEDs in the MOT guidelines, all that is left is for them to check is that the beam patternis correct and the colour of the light is predominantly white, white with a blue tint or yellow. Any good quality after-market LED bulbs will meet this criteria.

As long as the beam pattern and the colour of the light is correct – then there is no reason an LED upgrade bulb will fail an MOT.
Just a note on the self levelling action. Our vehicle Has self levelling suspension, like the old Citroen’s, but still had the headlight “levelling” device (but disabled) fitted for some reason.
MOT regs changed a while ago saying “if fitted it had to work”.
after failing the mot on this item i took the testers hint & removed & blanked off the switch. Passed fine👍🏽

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Just a note on the self levelling action. Our vehicle Has self levelling suspension, like the old Citroen’s, but still had the headlight “levelling” device (but disabled) fitted for some reason.
after failing the mot on this item i took the testers hint & removed & blanked off the switch. Passed fine👍🏽
Lol, glad you got it passed all it takes is a bit of common sense.

Not sure what the moaners will think is worse tho, this or my bulbs 😂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I have Full Air suspension so the van always rides at a constant height regardless of the load.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
Just to add to some of the responses, I've been running the Katur LED bulbs on my pickup for the last 18 months and they've been faultless 👍

I think the only thing putting me off installing these on the Hymer is accessing the headlight fittings without the use of a robotic arm!

Amazon product ASIN B07QXB6SW7

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
DrewE127, Lenny HB or anyone else who might know.

If someone had, theoretically, fitted KATUR LED lights on their MH (H7, H1 and W5W side light) and found that the CAN-bus was indicating a light out or some kind of error, (despite all bulbs working perfectly, say) and the KATUR instructions said to use a suitable diagnostic tool to reset, could/should this be done with an OBD scanner, or would the problem be resolved some other way?

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Actually, belay that last! Theoretically, once the engine starts, the canbus system realises that all is well and that 'tis the season of goodwill and all that, and the warning light goes away beautifully...or so I'm told. :xwink:

Reportedly, the lights are also beautifully aligned and it might just be possible to grow salad crops under them at night. :xcool:

Coop

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Highline
Exp
+35 years (Still Learning)
@Coop, when you fitted your main beam bulbs on the x250, did you install them at any particular angle? Vertically, or diagonally, like @DrewE127?
Sorry, to be honest I can't remember but I was impressed by the beam pattern/cut-off as well as the vastly improved light output and white colour of the LED lamps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Very interesting video on testing LED headlamp bulbs, especially how much the percentage of light output drops over the time their on while your driving.

Interesting that he doesn't rate them for reflector headlamps.
His light output loss with heat test was a more extreme than you would get in use as you would have air flowing over the headlamp unit so I wouldn't expect them to get so hot therefore less output loss.

Sep 4, 2020
Chester
Funster No
MH
Hymer S630
Exp
Since 2018
On the pickup truck which has the same projector lens as my MH they are fitted vertically (LEDs point out to the sides) they were then adjusted slightly to make sure the beam cut off correctly.

This may have been mentioned before but with the katur ones, you remove the mounting plate by rotating the bulb, fit and secure that in the original light fitting first then insert the bulb unit and rotate as it is a bayonet fitting👍

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
The main beam bulbs fitted vertically, as per instructions. Perfect beam pattern. The dips (H7) also, but they have the reflector cap over them, obvs.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
DrewE127, Lenny HB or anyone else who might know.

If someone had, theoretically, fitted KATUR LED lights on their MH (H7, H1 and W5W side light) and found that the CAN-bus was indicating a light out or some kind of error, (despite all bulbs working perfectly, say) and the KATUR instructions said to use a suitable diagnostic tool to reset, could/should this be done with an OBD scanner, or would the problem be resolved some other way?
I've got that to try, I've just fitted led sidelight bulbs to my X250 and it's triggered the light out warning.
Of course, it's going for it mot tomorrow, so had to swap them back out last night.

I'll try them in again at the weekend and have a look on Multiescan to see if I can do anything with the warning light.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I've got that to try, I've just fitted led sidelight bulbs to my X250 and it's triggered the light out warning.
Of course, it's going for it mot tomorrow, so had to swap them back out last night.

I'll try them in again at the weekend and have a look on Multiescan to see if I can do anything with the warning light.
Do the bulbs you bought have ballast units? If not you can buy separate ones.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back