LED H7 headlight bulbs upgrade - impressed (so far) (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Cheers Russ, it’s interesting that you worked for Philips, I’m sort of jealous - if I’d gone into the automotive industry I probably wouldn’t have quit my job 😂

But you’re right, I will continue with my thread as intended. Just finishing my cuppa then I’m off to record some footage, using my Mrs as a phone holder (don’t worry pedantites, I won’t be adding another layer of legal confusion to the whole experience)

I was tempted to put the video in a new thread entitled “A short video of illegal headlight bulbs that nobody should buy” but I won’t be defeated, it’ll be in this thread later on 👍

🙂
It's becoming like a sport. Funniest thread for weeks. :roflmto:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Excellent thread, well done Drew for thinking this one up, I don't think we actually got to the "Death Penalty" or "My wife of 30yrs turned out to be a Lesbian" but the "Keyboard I don't really know the facts but can make something up Warriors" after being locked up for some time have really got their teeth into this one.
Great entertainment I love it.
Perhaps Drew could start a fitting an LED bulb in the rear fog light and see where that takes us.(y);):reel:

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
RV lights are notorious for having less output than a candle in a jam jar. I replace mine with LED's I have had five MOTs with LED's installed that will give you a suntan at noon. I love em.
Ooooh you rule breaking rebel you......I do hope MI5 and the keyboard warriors don’t get you. 😂😂😂😂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Could someone confirm if the H7 fitment would be suitable.....

7F5BE6B3-4073-472D-95AC-FEDD80E72E27.jpeg

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Here is my testing video on YouTube, please read the description 🙂👍

I was wrong about the bulb position, the full beam bulb shouldn’t be vertical as it doesn’t give a good spread.

Attached is a photo of the bulb position I found best (2nd clip in the video) but I think I can probably make it better still.
A3EFD431-AF47-4ECA-99BC-A049B2D272AE.jpeg

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
If someone could change my first post so as to avoid confusing others I’d appreciate it. Vertical full beam bulbs is terrible advice 😅

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Here is my testing video on YouTube, please read the description 🙂👍

I was wrong about the bulb position, the full beam bulb shouldn’t be vertical as it doesn’t give a good spread.

Attached is a photo of the bulb position I found best (2nd clip in the video) but I think I can probably make it better still. View attachment 446708
Are the bulbs not keyed to fit as the originals?

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Drew what year is your Ducato? And the next question, what did you buy? If your van is the same as mine I won’t have to go and dismantle it in the storage car park to find out what to fit! 😁

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Drew what year is your Ducato? And the next question, what did you buy? If your van is the same as mine I won’t have to go and dismantle it in the storage car park to find out what to fit! 😁
The description in Drew’s video says 2019

These LED bulbs were recommended by Bob Earnshaw on YouTube. His video is HERE and the link to Amazon is HERE

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Are the bulbs not keyed to fit as the originals?
Sorry yes I wasn’t very clear here. The LED bulbs have removable holders, so you clip the holder into the headlamp and then push the bulb in like a bayonet. Then there are notches around the base, so the bulb can be secured at pretty much any angle you like
Ours is a Benimar Mileo 231, a 2019 build on a 20 plate 🙂 the cab is a Ducato 150 2.3 with the comedy gearbox lol (I love it!)

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Do a video of you smashing them up and putting in bin just to please some

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I rarely drive at night, but if I did then I’d certainly consider this enhancement. I remember a trip in my first van a 2011 Ducato, driving through the Peak District in snowy conditions in the dark. A scary experience for a new motorhome owner.
I thank you for your post. I am amused that Bob Earnshaw could be so controversial, I follow his you tube channel and a more staid couple of Caravan Club, Awning pitch dwellers you could not meet!

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Do a video of you smashing them up and putting in bin just to please some
Hahaha, yes.
I might do one of me smashing the old halogen bulbs up, and putting those in the bin.

And then shouting about how they aren’t fit for use anymore, and my van would fail it’s mot. I’d wail away about how they could cause an accident, or even a death. And then the camera zooms out and I’m in a prison cell with my cellie Bob Earnshaw

😂 an eventful weekend

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I wonder if there getting it in the neck on there u tube comments

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Oh well, looks like I’ll need to go n have a butchers after all! We have a 2012 Autotrail.....

Cheers!

Russ

Wild Oggie

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E462
Exp
Mid 70's
Cracking thread. Ordered the Katur LED bulbs from amazon, for our Hyundai ix35. Which uses the HIR2 version for low/high beam. Fitted them today, tested them tonight. Awsome our rural roads are all lit up.
No problems blinding on coming vehicles as they are set at the correct spread/height
Cheers

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Cracking thread. Ordered the Katur LED bulbs from amazon, for our Hyundai ix35. Which uses the HIR2 version for low/high beam. Fitted them today, tested them tonight. Awsome our rural roads are all lit up.
No problems blinding on coming vehicles as they are set at the correct spread/height
Cheers
That’s great to hear 👍
Cheers

Coop

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2015
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Highline
Exp
+35 years (Still Learning)
Drew, you've started a firestorm on here🤣🤣🤣.
Just caught your thread.
I believe that Bob picked up the idea from a vid by Gadget John.
I fitted LEDs, Dip 2X H7 & Main 2X H15, to our 2014 X250 in January and found them to be excellent, although we've not been out much this year.............. 😢

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Drew, you've started a firestorm on here🤣🤣🤣.
Just caught your thread.
I believe that Bob picked up the idea from a vid by Gadget John.
I fitted LEDs, Dip 2X H7 & Main 2X H15, to our 2014 X250 in January and found them to be excellent, although we've not been out much this year.............. 😢
😂 I’m glad to have entertained if not informed. A whole chain of blame here then lol.

I’d be interested to know whether the beam pattern on yours is any good, unless of course you’re in the Moho prison with me, Bob and Gadget John 😂😂

See you in the exercise yard! 🏋️‍♀️

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Cheers
So have you tested whether they blind pedestrians or cyclists or are you only interested in motorist?

Remember they are in a different position to cars coming towards you.

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
So have you tested whether they blind pedestrians or cyclists or are you only interested in motorist?

Remember they are in a different position to cars coming towards you.
I’d have thought their line of sight is usually higher than drivers so if they aren’t blinding drivers I’d assume they’re safe for everyone. I can’t think of a scenario where headlights would blind pedestrians or bicyclists, but not drivers.. But as already pointed out by an expert, I am no expert 🙂

With the beam pattern on my van now, the low beam cutoff has the usual flick up to the left as designed. I have adjusted the beam height so that this is minimal; it could have caused a brief flash in people’s eyes as I turn a corner - it would have done the same with halogens anyway but obviously not as bright.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Now then I have a fabulous bright set of LED day time running lights fitted to my Honda motorcycle and I have found I can blindingly dazzle Pedestrians and Cyclist with just a small lean to either side.
Super fun made all the better when imagining you are sat astride a Star Wars Speeder Bike.
running lights.JPG

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Now then I have a fabulous bright set of LED day time running lights fitted to my Honda motorcycle and I have found I can blindingly dazzle Pedestrians and Cyclist with just a small lean to either side.
Super fun made all the better when imagining you are sat astride a Star Wars Speeder Bike.View attachment 446807
And you are proud of that ?

OP
OP
DrewE127
Jun 23, 2020
Lytham St Anne’s
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 231
Exp
Nightbreakers have been my go to for years - tried led's on my Disco 3 and really wasn't impressed so went back to 'breakers
Fyi, these LEDs are far brighter especially the dipped beam. I’m going to try and tweak the full beam and post the best results when I get round to it 🙂

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
You didn't have good nights sleep did you?
It was OK. Thought the comment was just a typical motorist comment who only think of other motorist not other road uses.

Although you thought it funny to deliberately blind people.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back