Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
I've noticed a few motor homes that are off site starting their engines up and leaving them idling...I inquired why and was told to boost their leisure battery and was also told it's ok as long as it's not over 20 mins,,is this correct?,,I'm no expert but I thought it would it damage the engine?...

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
If their motorhome is fairly new, it's likely fitted with a smart alternator and if that's the case and their cab battery is fully charged, then they are pretty well wasting their time and fuel as the alternator will push bugger all to the leisure battery.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
If their motorhome is fairly new, it's likely fitted with a smart alternator and if that's the case and their cab battery is fully charged, then they are pretty well wasting their time and fuel as the alternator will push bugger all to the leisure battery.
the two I saw were very old ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Yet fair ground folks have their engines running slowly for hours. Neither condoning nor condemning simply as with Paul and Pippa questioning the perceived facts. Would be nice to read definitive reasoned responses rather than "it might be, it could be etc" Opinions are great but facts are much better.

phil

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I think it depends more on what your attitude is to pollution. It is a selfish act however you look at it. It also carries an £80 fine.

No more petrol or diesel generators allowed either then? That would be refreshing as there's nothing worse than being parked downwind of someone running a generator to charge their electric bicycles. ?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I had a boat I was told by an engineer not to leave the engine idling when cold because it could lead to glazing of the cylinders. He explained that a hot running diesel engine keeps the cylinder bores and piston rings in proper contact but if it doesn’t get properly hot they polish each other and the seal and compression can be permanently reduced. With modern diesels there seem to be lots of additional problems with exhaust gas recirculation, DPFs and catalysts. I think a lot depends on what the engine was designed for and a slow revving generator engine is probably very different from a modern lightweight diesel road engine with pollution controls.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's not only the issue of causing engine wear (or not) but also the matter of avoiding unnecessary pollution. At many traffic light junctions and level crossings there are notices to turn off engines whilst waiting, plus the rise in engine Stop/Start functions on modern cars.

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks, but l'm not an environmental policeman, l'm simply asking if it causes engine damage, l don't want to go off topic else we'll end up talking about Brexit ???,, btw who are you voting for.. ???

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks, but l'm not an environmental policeman, l'm simply asking if it causes engine damage, l don't want to go off topic else we'll end up talking about Brexit ???,, btw who are you voting for.. ???
My reply referred to whether the engine idling 'rule' was possibly not solely an engine wear matter as I don't know whether leaving an engine idling is a prosecutable offence.
Idling ice cream vans don't seem to provoke engine wear. Obesity perhaps, but not engine wear. ;)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Starting and leaving a diesel engine ticking over from cold it will never obtain full operating temperature or take a very long time, not only will it cause bore glazing but will also wreck the CAT & DPF. Can't remember who it was now but one Funster found out just how expensive it was.
Idling ice cream vans don't seem to provoke engine wear. Obesity perhaps, but not engine wear
Ice cream van is not idling from cold, it's been driven to the parking spot and the engine is up to temperature.
So if you want to leave your engine idling to charge the battery take the van for a 20 mile drive first.:xgrin:

OP
OP
Paul and Pippa

Paul and Pippa

Free Member
Apr 9, 2018
Dudley
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
I'm a newbie
This is not a political post,, the NHS is not for sale...although it may be on Friday,,, ?....l would suggest you invest in NHS shares immediately,,, when you cash in you could then afford a large generator on a trailer,, ? ? ?...

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Starting and leaving a diesel engine ticking over from cold it will never obtain full operating temperature or take a very long time, not only will it cause bore glazing but will also wreck the CAT & DPF. Can't remember who it was now but one Funster found out just how expensive it was.

Ice cream van is not idling from cold, it's been driven to the parking spot and the engine is up to temperature.
So if you want to leave your engine idling to charge the battery take the van for a 20 mile drive first.:xgrin:
Unless it’s one at the shows, then they are delivered on a transporter and just start up and run each day. Think they plug them in to a generator at night.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
This only applies to the very few, who have lithium leisure batteries fitted. At idling and low engine speeds the lithium battery draws a higher current than a lead-acid/Gel/AGM, and this can lead to the alternator overheating, even burning out.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Engines on ice cream vans are not idling they are frequently being "load up" this is what prevents bore glazing . Similar thing with large gensets working under load is the factor . With dpfs and cats they need temperature , otherwise they clog . This same principle even extends to these chinese blow air diesel heaters , running them light leads to coking up .

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I can do breast screening .... not qualified but I'll give it a go ....how hard can it be ..... oh bugger ...... 'er indoors can read this .... GULP!!!!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yet fair ground folks have their engines running slowly for hours. Neither condoning nor condemning simply as with Paul and Pippa questioning the perceived facts. Would be nice to read definitive reasoned responses rather than "it might be, it could be etc" Opinions are great but facts are much better.

phil
Usually Gardner's,, No way you can damage one providing it has oil and water.? BUSBY.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
and as a side-line be public-spirited and set the m/h up for breast screening.
Hi.
SSSHHHhhhh... Jennifer sometimes reads these posts,i will never be allowed out again on my own if she reads THIS ONE...DOH !!
Tea Bag

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Reading the bit about what NOT to do with the "Auto box" on our Ducato PVC, (Ticking over for prolonged periods ) i am scared if i have to wait at Traffic lights for long. I wonder why they ever let it be fitted,heaven forbid we get caught up on the M/way in a queue for an hour in mid winter . Metals not like Skin,it cannot mend itself.
Tea Bag

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back