Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Help !!!! I’ve knitted Christmas trees for my daughter, now trying to make an icord to hang them from.
I’ve failed in every method. Tried a cotton reel with nails in it, nails are falling out.
Bought a knitting Nancy, it’s too big, the cord came out really loose and sloppy. Don’t have double ended knitting needles, so tried crocheting ( 2 different ways) following YouTube videos.
The wool keeps splitting and although the crochet method should be easier it looks a mess.
YouTube mentions mercerised cotton—- will it be easier if I go and buy some of that tomorrow?
Or any other ideas for an icord ?

I have plaited a hanging cord before now and then sewed it on. You could hide the sewing with a little bow if you wanted. If it’s fine cord, I knot the end and weigh it down with something heavy and plait it flat. Hope I haven’t misunderstood :)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Help !!!! I’ve knitted Christmas trees for my daughter, now trying to make an icord to hang them from.
I’ve failed in every method. Tried a cotton reel with nails in it, nails are falling out.
Bought a knitting Nancy, it’s too big, the cord came out really loose and sloppy. Don’t have double ended knitting needles, so tried crocheting ( 2 different ways) following YouTube videos.
The wool keeps splitting and although the crochet method should be easier it looks a mess.
YouTube mentions mercerised cotton—- will it be easier if I go and buy some of that tomorrow?
Or any other ideas for an icord ?

Not sure what you mean by an icord but if I was hanging things like decorations I would want the cord as invisible as poss so would use fishing line or the type you get in beading.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Icords are fiddly but quite easy once you get the hang of it. I made many yards when I made my friend’s brain hat.
68D96021-9BED-4072-A1FA-8DAC01630AA7.jpeg

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
Hollyberry You could try kumihimo (twisted cord). You need a circle of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Cuts on the outside edge at North East South and West. Four thread - or double to eight.............No I give up - would take too long to describe the actions. I'll pop over to You Tube and see if there's a video.

If you're not in a hurry I could send you a foam shape marked with all the positions plus the instructions I gave to my Big C group. PM me if interested.

OP
OP
snailtrailer
Oct 18, 2012
Wortham Diss
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Motorhomed for almost 7 years - now going nowhere!
I found videos on You Tube but the discs I have are even better. They show printed arrows giving the direction in which to move the threads. If anyone else is interested in giving this a try I have more discs - it's even more therapeutic than crochet :D2

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hollyberry You could try kumihimo (twisted cord). You need a circle of cardboard with a hole in the middle. Cuts on the outside edge at North East South and West. Four thread - or double to eight.............No I give up - would take too long to describe the actions. I'll pop over to You Tube and see if there's a video.

If you're not in a hurry I could send you a foam shape marked with all the positions plus the instructions I gave to my Big C group. PM me if interested.

Thanks for your very kind offer. After one hour of crocheting, I had 3 inches of crochet cord ? I found some on EBay and have ordered that. If it looks awful when it arrives I’ll try fishing line.
I told my daughter that if I keep crocheting icord through 2020, she’ll get it in time for next Christmas. ?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

I’ve just found a video on Pinterest, what a good idea. I’ll give this a try later.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yesterdays effort which I put on the morning thread earlier but decided he was a bit naked so added the beard.

I think I’m going to have to reduce the amount of hours I spend crocheting as I ended up with a very painful right shoulder yesterday which is still painful ? It will be hard to step away from the hook ?

F257B18F-31E7-4F64-B418-2C4EF34A73DA.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yesterdays effort which I put on the morning thread earlier but decided he was a bit naked so added the beard.

I think I’m going to have to reduce the amount of hours I spend crocheting as I ended up with a very painful right shoulder yesterday which is still painful ? It will be hard to step away from the hook ?

View attachment 342168
He does look better with s beard!! Lovely!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
movan Joy - this is not crochet or craft related but have you considered Sheltered Housing? I have been wandering the rightmove pages and found nice looking flats for £50,000 to £60,000 (a two-bedroomed flat in Heathfield, East Sussex £50,000 for example) They are leasehold but long leases. My sister moved into one of these in Poole for a few years. She was only in her 60s and found she was free to come and go as she pleased. It was a choice between a mobile home or flat. She has since moved to Wales and has her own little house.

I didn't want to put this on open forum (thought it was safe here among friends) but if we did we might get some useful comments from others with experience.

Sincerely, Auntie Pam
big consideration is that movan often has her lovely grandaughter to stay, think that might be difficult in sheltered accommodation.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Ambilkate
Here is a photo of the Tunisian blanket my Grandma made for me.
She made one for most of the junior family members and all had some wool that had been made from unpicked sweaters that she had made previously.
E2B7FC52-3931-4D0D-9E37-7BE027C43EAD.jpeg
AB9EF27D-9CB2-4BBE-9100-D188A4F14B5E.jpeg
5F8A7582-8832-469E-A55C-486748334DDF.jpeg

Made from real wool so makes a really warm wrap for cold evenings!

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Ambilkate
Here is a photo of the Tunisian blanket my Grandma made for me.
She made one for most of the junior family members and all had some wool that had been made from unpicked sweaters that she had made previously.
View attachment 342177View attachment 342178View attachment 342179
Made from real wool so makes a really warm wrap for cold evenings!
Wow how lovely love the fringes. What a lovely blanket full of memories then for you thankyou for posting the pictures. Given me some ideas I have some knitted Ware I'm going to un pick . Xxx
Kate

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 615 af
Exp
2 weeks

View attachment 342168
Do we need to stage an intervention to help you to 'step away from the hook'??

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I’ve started a sort of sleeveless cardigan/gilet in Tunisian and started the front off in ordinary crochet then changed to Tunisian after a couple of rows. It gives a nice edge and doesn’t seem to curl up so much. I am using a larger hook than label on yarn recommends-a 7 instead of a 6!
EA8B5E3A-7E59-419B-B848-F919DD2676D5.jpeg

PS The Tunisian blanket is about 55 years old-as a blanket, I hate to think how old the wool is!

Last edited:

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve started a sort of sleeveless cardigan/gilet in Tunisian and started the front off in ordinary crochet then changed to Tunisian after a couple of rows. It gives a nice edge and doesn’t seem to curl up so much. I am using a larger hook than label on yarn recommends-a 7 instead of a 6!
View attachment 342238
Looks great, love the colours ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back