Latest update on travelling abroad after Brexit (1 Viewer)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Time to fall in line with the ( small) majority of 2016 and the HUGE endorsement if the same of 4 weeks ago
I object to the inference that the way I voted 4 weeks ago was in any way an endorsement of the referendum decision in 2016. For me, aand possibly many other people, it was simply a matter of deciding that voting for a particular candidate was a better option than wasting a vote by abstaining, and not withstanding the fact that I no longer have any trust in or respect for any political party in this country, I simply voted for the person who I considered to be the best option to represent my constituency.

Despite having voted for the same political party my entire life, believe me when I say that I would have been delighted to have not given them my vote this time, had their been any other credible and more palatable option.

My opinion of Brexit had absolutely nothing to do with it. Please stick to facts within your knowledge instead of assuming a huge endorsement which may not actually exist.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This is a great thread being ruined by people who want to continually argue about the rights and wrongs of Brexit. Go and do that somewhere else. The Daily Mail and Guardian comments section are waiting for you, but do give us a break. Please keep this thread to the practicalities. Thanks

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
And I'll wager that high up in the 'number of different reasons' was being fed up with the waves of illegal immigrants flooding the country, a situation that has never been an EU issue but one created by British governments having no interest in controlling entry which they have signally failed to address over many years.

I also suspect that many Brits didn't think for a moment that 'freedom of movement' is a two-way thing and they, like the people they wish to stop from entering the UK, would be subject to exactly the same restrictions when travelling in the opposite direction. Unfortunately, the world has moved on from Days of Empire and we'll be treated just like any other Third Country National, with the additional obligations, requirements and restrictions that will involve.

So much to look forward to, eh?:smiley:
I agree, for many, immigration was a concern and this was clearly voiced during the run up to the referendum. I strongly disagree that illegal immigrants has never been an EU issue. One only has to look at Italys refusal to allow migrant boats to dock in it's ports. There is much, much more too.

With respect to 'many Brits not considering the impacts of the end of freedom of movement', there can be no doubt this is true, the very young, those who do not travel abroad and those with no interest. Many can mean hundreds to millions, I'm not aware of any surveys that have been done. I do believe most UK Citizens understand that our relationship with Europe will change and one of those changes they understand will be the end of freedom of movement for us inside the E.U. We being the nation we are will accept the change and adjust accordingly. I do hope the remoaners can manage that too. Time to move on, it's over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I have just got my international driving licence just in case :rolleyes:

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
I've waded through most of this thread but cannot find an answer to my question.

If I have an EU passport from a Schengen country I will not be restricted to 90 day stays in the Schengen area.

But what about the motorhome? Does the 6 month rule still apply to that?

Anyone know?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I've waded through most of this thread but cannot find an answer to my question.

If I have an EU passport from a Schengen country I will not be restricted to 90 day stays in the Schengen area.

Anyone know?
Why would it if it is from the country you hold residency in ?
If you are using a passport from another Eu state , i.e. from gaining it through grandparents ,parents ,etc; & driving a motorhome form a different EU state then you will be driving it illegally in if at any time you are in the EU state you are using the passport for.
I:E. If you are a UK citizen witha UK passport but are using say an Irish passport gained from parents/grandparents then if you are driving a UK registered motorhome legally you cannot be driving it when in Eire as a citizen or resident cannot drive a vehicle registered in another EU state. When elsewhere it isn't a problem

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Why would it if it is from the country you hold residency in ?
If you are using a passport from another Eu state , i.e. from gaining it through grandparents ,parents ,etc; & driving a motorhome form a different EU state then you will be driving it illegally in if at any time you are in the EU state you are using the passport for.
I:E. If you are a UK citizen witha UK passport but are using say an Irish passport gained from parents/grandparents then if you are driving a UK registered motorhome legally you cannot be driving it when in Eire as a citizen or resident cannot drive a vehicle registered in another EU state. When elsewhere it isn't a problem
My head hurts just reading that :giggle:

Deleted User

Anyone know?

I would think that if your motorhome is registered in the EU State that you hold a passport for then if you stay in another EU/Schengen State for more than 6 months it will need re registering as it always has done. Difficult to prove length of stay in any particular Schengen State as their are no border checks but others have said that it will be up to the individual to prove that they have not exceeded a 6 month stay in one country.

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie

Anyone know?
So if you have an EU passport that's the ability for you to travel around Europe freely. I think what you're asking for now is what restrictions you have if you're driving a UK registered vehicle on a British driving licence. For the rest of this year nothing should change but next year you'd need to identify which country you want to go to and then check the information for that country as some are different. I believe some allow you to use your licence for 6mths without needing a driving permit.
As for the vehicle I think it depends on the insurance and you'd need to get a green card from your insurer so it's insured to drive there but I think that may just give it 3rd party cover. You'd need to check with your insurer.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
My understanding is, (After Dec 2020). If you have an Irish passport and live in the UK with a registered, legal motorhome, then you can travel freely in the E.U. and are not restricted to 90 days in 180. I'm not aware of any restrictions being placed on UK registered vehicles being driven in the E.U. ?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My understanding is, (After Dec 2020). If you have an Irish passport and live in the UK with a registered, legal motorhome, then you can travel freely in the E.U. and are not restricted to 90 days in 180. I'm not aware of any restrictions being placed on UK registered vehicles being driven in the E.U. ?
There aren't but if he went to Ireland & in advertantly used the Irish passport they could impound vehicle . If he used the UK passport there would be no problem.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

OK, you're an English guy, living in the UK and more importantly you're a tax resident of the UK.......but you have an Irish Passport.

If you go and motorhome in Spain for 210-days in any one year then I think you'll find the Spanish will not give two hoots about your Irish PP as you contravene tax residency status.

....and the Spanish are currently going out of their way to clamp down on these matters - big time!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
OK, you're an English guy, living in the UK and more importantly you're a tax resident of the UK.......but you have an Irish Passport.

If you go and motorhome in Spain for 210-days in any one year then I think you'll find the Spanish will not give two hoots about your Irish PP as you contravene tax residency status.

....and the Spanish are currently going out of their way to clamp down on these matters - big time!
I wonder what the Irish Government would say about their nationals being persecuted in that way, an Irish passport holder means they are Irish.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Maybe correct but how will the Spanish know how long you have actually been in Spain? Unless you arrived there directly by ferry? They can check your 90 day status as there is cooperation between Schengen countries but since you can freekly cross say between France, Germany and Spain they are unlikely to know just how long you have actually been in Spain

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
Modern tech where by as they scan passport it's electronically tagged I can see Europe demanding all passport are upgraded to this type after Dec 2020

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
I wonder what the Irish Government would say about their nationals being persecuted in that way, an Irish passport holder means they are Irish.

In that case then let the Irish Government pick up the tab for any allegations of tax evasion charges against its citizen while in Spain.

Dec 30, 2015
Bury
Funster No
MH
Pilote G650L
Exp
Three years
Just logged on again after being out..... Head hurts now after reading the flood of replies. Many thanks to all. Just to simplify it, we'll ignore all the tax evasion stuff. That's not an issue. Maybe I can put my question more clearly.

What I was concerned about was that you cannot use a UK registered vehicle for more than 6 months abroad without DVLA wanting it "unregistered" in the UK. As long as the 6 months rule stays, I don't have a problem. I wouldn't be travelling abroad for more than 6 months, but I will want more than 90 days in Schengen. (which is not a problem as I have an EU passport as well as UK one). I will be a UK resident.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I can only go by what we do know at the present time which is we legally stop being members from Jan 31st which would then make the use of Euro plates illegal as they are for the use by member states ? As said why risk any fines by chancing it .
I am buying GB sticker , taping over EU . More important I'm insured for 300 odd days abroad from memory . but only 30 days allowed abroad at any one time all in the small print, how do others and where do you get long abroad Insurance ?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I wouldn't be travelling abroad for more than 6 months, but I will want more than 90 days in Schengen. (which is not a problem as I have an EU passport as well as UK one). I will be a UK resident.

Happy days!

Ian

Deleted User
how do others and where do you get long abroad Insurance ?

Safeguard cover you (Fully comp) for the full duration of the policy, as to others (Comfort was similar when we had it)

Some have time limits, some revert to 3rd party only after a set time.

Shop around and ask before you buy is the best advise.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I am buying GB sticker , taping over EU . More important I'm insured for 300 odd days abroad from memory . but only 30 days allowed abroad at any one time all in the small print, how do others and where do you get long abroad Insurance ?
I'm with C&MC for insurance now, maximum trip length is 66 days. SAGA do longer limits but they were expensive.

Reactions: f6c
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Modern tech where by as they scan passport it's electronically tagged I can see Europe demanding all passport are upgraded to this type after Dec 2020

Even modern tech cannot scan my passport in a MH locker when I am crossing a border between Schengen countries at 90kph, which is the reality.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back