Latest update on travelling abroad after Brexit (1 Viewer)

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I have registered my Fifth Wheel just in case not put the number plate on though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
The 90 days as always applied just not enforced and it is always recommend you have separate full medical cover .?

Citizens of an EU member state have an unlimited right to travel anywhere in the zone, but if they stay more than 90 days in any single state other than their own they are supposed to register their presence with the authorities. How is that the same as being limited to 90 days in the entire zone in any 180 day rolling period when you could if you had wanted to have spent 365 days every year travelling around the EU moving between individual states at least every 90 days?

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Citizens of an EU member state have an unlimited right to travel anywhere in the zone, but if they stay more than 90 days in any single state other than their own they are supposed to register their presence with the authorities. How is that the same as being limited to 90 days in the entire zone in any 180 day rolling period when you could if you had wanted to have spent 365 days every year travelling around the EU moving between individual states at least every 90 days?
Then nothing to worry about ! ?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Then nothing to worry about ! ?

Not until the end of this year, no. Although our status as EU citizens will, strictly speaking, end on 31st January, nothing will change during the transition period. After that you will no longer be a citizen of an EU member state and with the introduction of ETIAS in early 2021, you will need to obtain an ETIAS document to enter the Schengen area before travelling. At the Schengen border you will be 'clocked-in' and you'll have a maximum of 90 days throughout the Schengen area.

Enjoy it while you can! :giggler:

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Not until the end of this year, no. Although our status as EU citizens will, strictly speaking, end on 31st January, nothing will change during the transition period. After that you will no longer be a citizen of an EU member state and with the introduction of ETIAS in early 2021, you will need to obtain an ETIAS document to enter the Schengen area before travelling. At the Schengen border you will be 'clocked-in' and you'll have a maximum of 90 days throughout the Schengen area.

Enjoy it while you can! :giggler:

That's hardly an insurmountable problem is it?

The ETIAS visa costs £7 and lasts for three years.

The purpose of ETIAS is to identify potential terrorist and criminal threats who will then be refused entry. Surely it's a good thing - anything that stops terrorists entering the country must be a step in the right direction.

It's nothing to do with us leaving the EU.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
That's hardly an insurmountable problem is it?

The ETIAS visa costs £7 and lasts for three years.

The purpose of ETIAS is to identify potential terrorist and criminal threats who will then be refused entry. Surely it's a good thing - anything that stops terrorists entering the country must be a step in the right direction.

It's nothing to do with us leaving the EU.
Of course it has to a degree as U.K. citizens will become TCNs in Europe ( third country nationals ) so the same rules will apply for other TCNs such as Australian , Canadians and all nationals outside the EU . I would think as now these visitors passports are scanned on a Europe wide data base to check they adhere to the 90 day rule so that us the U.K. status for the future .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
One interesting difference that I noticed when leaving the ferry at Santander last week was that both our passports, and I assume everyone else’s were scanned before we could get out of the port. Normally it’s been off the ship and straight out but this time it took quite a while.
All four times last year on Portsmouth - Ouisterham and Ouisterham - Portsmouth my passport has been scanned at both entry and departure. Been hapenning for a couple of years to me, so have got used to it.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I read if we leave before the end of the year with a no deal they will use the same as the US scheme of Etias .

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
personally, I wasn’t looking for a quick answer to the question, otherwise i would have googled.
I was looking for a long, drawn-out,opinionated, sometimes misguided bit of entertainment

delighted with what I found ?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only ones it seems will be affected is those that can at the moment stay more than 90 days ,so in reality a minuscule amount of people :giggle:
I don't visit for more than 90 days at a time but the restriction will mean I have to change how I do things. For example, I typically spend May and June in France, Italy, Spain or wherever then come back to the UK for July and August. We usually return in September and stay until the end of October but we will no longer be able to do this after we leave the EU completely. This is because July and August do not amount to 90 days so the clock for counting how long we have been there has not been stopped and it will still be including May and June. This means that at the end of September we will have to return to the UK as we would have reached the 90 day limit (May, June and September). The only way to get around this will be to return to the UK at the end of May and stay in the UK over June, July and August. It is not the end of the world but folk will need to keep a tally of the days they are in Schengen to avoid being caught out.

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm sure your moan about the forum in the middle of the thread won't make it any easier :doh:
Thanks for the similarly helpful addition Jim, maybe if we don't all fall out with each before then we can all try and keep this post going whilst the OP is away for the next 3 months and then maybe we can hope that they can come back to clue us in from their actual experience of getting around Europe and back to the UK after. I'm going to Europe for 6 months in June and I'm not too sure what I need to do about my two dogs at the moment, they have passports but maybe I should fork out for rabies tests and certificates to be doubly sure, maybe not, maybe I should waste money on International driving permits, maybe not. Its all very out of date on the .gov webshite and this forum has not really cleared things up as it appears that you can either chance it with it staying exactly as is or spend extra money and time getting more paperwork to be sure. Considering June is 6 months away and you need a fair few months leadtime for additional rabies jabs and tests to clear a dog via a certificate vs a passport its a fair shout to say its a bit of a shambles that the government can't clarify things on the website so we can get on with it and not waste time, money and dogs getting syringed unnecessarily with vaccines and tests. I appreciate helpful people having a crack at it on this forum but the other people chipping in with their own opinions about how outstanding the government has been and continues to be (they don't appear too worthy of much praise to me if they can't even update a website with some plain guidelines) and then even more backbiting are just wasting more of my time so this post has been less helpful than I had hoped and as a newly paid up member to the forum I was hoping for a little less sniping at each other and more of a friendly community vibe helping each other out. I'm brand new to motorhoming and I'm hoping I'll see less of the tiresome online political opinions and more friendly, wellmeaning advice for fellow travellers and motorhome fans going forwards as I have sooo many questions for my 6 month trip as a MH noob

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
The only ones it seems will be affected is those that can at the moment stay more than 90 days ,so in reality a minuscule amount of people :giggle:
It will affect people who own second homes in
I don't visit for more than 90 days at a time but the restriction will mean I have to change how I do things. For example, I typically spend May and June in France, Italy, Spain or wherever then come back to the UK for July and August. We usually return in September and stay until the end of October but we will no longer be able to do this after we leave the EU completely. This is because July and August do not amount to 90 days so the clock for counting how long we have been there has not been stopped and it will still be including May and June. This means that at the end of September we will have to return to the UK as we would have reached the 90 day limit (May, June and September). The only way to get around this will be to return to the UK at the end of May and stay in the UK over June, July and August. It is not the end of the world but folk will need to keep a tally of the days they are in Schengen to avoid being caught out.
We have a similar problem. We have a property in France and visit for 6 weeks at a time. It’s too hot for me in Mid summer so we usually go in May/ June which means we cannot go again until October. We have no family who can use the house when we are not there, we can’t do anything about it, so we have put the house on the market.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Affects us as we have a 2nd home which we’ll probably sell but still consider ourselves lucky to have a place abroad in the first place.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Affects us as we have a 2nd home which we’ll probably sell but still consider ourselves lucky to have a place abroad in the first place.

For you and others with a property in EU, why do you not use that address to apply for Residence, not Citizenship, in that country? Then you are sorted for staying as long as you want in that country and for travelling for up to 90 days in any other EU country.

If you hold a UK passport you can return to UK any time and stay as long as you want.

I am applying in Poland, because I live here, but I would also if we had a second home here.

Geoff

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I appreciate the clarification - I didn't think anyone in the country actually knew what was in Corbyn's mind.....:rofl:
MacDonald did as he controlled him, BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Would think if EU restrict uk citizens movement UK would retaliate by doing the same,,Wonder who the losers would be.Not good for anyone's tourist industries..BUSBY.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Sorry, you're wrong.... candidates for remain-supporting parties received 16.5 million votes, while candidates for leave-supporting parties received 14.8 million.

Still, when have facts meant anything to Cummings' puppets?:unsure:
But we don't have proportional representation so that means nothing

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
For you and others with a property in EU, why do you not use that address to apply for Residence, not Citizenship, in that country? Then you are sorted for staying as long as you want in that country and for travelling for up to 90 days in any other EU country.

If you hold a UK passport you can return to UK any time and stay as long as you want.

I am applying in Poland, because I live here, but I would also if we had a second home here.

Geoff
If it is France then you apply for a Carte de Séjour but to do that you must be resident ie register for tax and health care and show sufficient resources not to be a burden on the state . There seems to be no residence permit for non permanent residents . At the moment Australians with a holiday hone near us leave after 90 days and either go back to Oz or to the U.K. as she has a U.K. passport but he doesn’t and then return after the correct number if days out

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back