Latest update on travelling abroad after Brexit (1 Viewer)

Apr 21, 2015
Blackpool
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1985
Hi
Hoping to go away to Spain in January for a few months soon and I wanting the latest on what I need to do.Gov web site is not up to date now we are leaving by the end of January.
1 ———do I need international driving licence for Spain
2———-do I need a international driving licence for France
3———-I have a number plate with GB and European stars on it do I have to change it to one with just GB
4——— Will I need to put a extra GB sticker on my camper.
I have tried to look for advice but have not found a definitive answer.

Dave

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hi
Hoping to go away to Spain in January for a few months soon and I wanting the latest on what I need to do.Gov web site is not up to date now we are leaving by the end of January.
3———-I have a number plate with GB and European stars on it do I have to change it to one with just GB

Dave
Def not for Spain as they have stated no matter what an IDP will not be required until August
For the sake of a fiver and ten minutes I got a French IDP so am covered what ever happens
Strictly speaking the stars will be a no-no but not something I would worry about.. Having said that I have a stars only plate so I spent the £1.50 on a GB sticker just in case

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
My understanding is that nothing will change during the transition period. We are travelling early February. Already have the IDPs and 2 GB stickers. Not sure if the dog will need a health certificate. Will have to check that with DEFRA.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My understanding is that nothing will change during the transition period. We are travelling early February. Already have the IDPs and 2 GB stickers. Not sure if the dog will need a health certificate. Will have to check that with DEFRA.
Hate to say it but if things go even slightly wrong you will be stuck as far as the woofa goes unless you have already had him/her tinter tested or are hing it done tomorrow
Average time to get results is 14 days.. And you cannot travel untl 30 days after the certificate is issued ( which is just so much batchy red tape as far as I can work out !! )

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I would say No, No, No and No.
You could get an IDP if you want, they are only a few £ but wouldn’t worry about the number plates.
Assuming the UK leaves with a deal at the end of the month there will be a long transition period where nothing will really change.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Hate to say it but if things go even slightly wrong you will be stuck as far as the woofa goes unless you have already had him/her tinter tested or are hing it done tomorrow
Average time to get results is 14 days.. And you cannot travel untl 30 days after the certificate is issued ( which is just so much batchy red tape as far as I can work out !! )
Nothing changes until 31December .so why worry about anything until it's settled .

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nothing changes until 31December .so why worry about anything until it's settled .
Unless we totally bomb out, which is unlikely but who knows, and why take the chance for a few quidlets

Dec 26, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
C
Exp
Hi

Dave
Up to 31st December 2020 answer in no no no and no

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Rabies jab last year and titre tested. I think it is 21 days not 30 and that is for return to the UK not for travelling to the EU. (The 30 days is the period after the rabies jab before the titre test can be done. ) Have been travelling to France with dogs for the last dozen years. Never been asked for their passports leaving the UK. Things will definitely change after Brexit but hopefully we will become a Part 1 Listed Country which will only mean changing the current EU passport for a UK one.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
If the exit with a deal goes through on 31 January nothing will change during the transition period, that is until 31 December.

If we exit "No deal" then it's anybody's guess - and remember we've had the leaving date put back twice........................!

Belt and braces for me - Green Card plus IDP's for France and Spain. Dog already fully sorted.
I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, especially for just a few quid.

Edit: Of course it's still possible the whole thing could be called off! :xblink:

Last edited:

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Legally we leave at the end of the month and I thought the transition period was for trade .

What is going to change after we leave at the end of the month is as clear as mud ?

I have changed my number plate and put a GB sticker on and green card for motorhome and green card for trailer and IDP .

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Legally we leave at the end of the month and I thought the transition period was for trade .

What is going to change after we leave at the end of the month is as clear as mud ?

I have changed my number plate and put a GB sticker on and green card for motorhome and green card for trailer and IDP .
Why chance some snotty gendarmme keeping you at the roadside or even attempting to fine you for the sake of an IDP and Green Card? I just don't understand why you would go without them as they are so easy to get.
They may or may not be needed (probably not) but I've got mine. They don't affect the payload much :rolleyes: ;)

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
I just don't understand why you would go without them as they are so easy to get.

It's just that some of us take risk less seriously that you :xrofl: Need the adrenaline rush of going to France without an IDP!:xgrin:

Mick

Deleted User
You're not the first to say "exit with a deal on 31st Jan", so you're not the first to get it wrong!
31stJan is the day that Boris The Liar hopes that the EU will ratify his Withdrawal Agreement.
There then follows months of negotiation to get a deal (or end up with no deal).

HOWEVER, BLT's Withdrawal Agreement Bill which got its second reading before Xmas is different to his WAB which he published in November and to which every Tory candidate had to swear allegiance. Needless to say, none of them had the balls to say "this one is different"!
BUT the EU might say "this isn't what we agreed: go back and start again". Wouldn't that be fun?
Probably they'll just accept it because they are fed up with UK incompetence.

When it comes to negotiating The Deal, Boris The Liar has said that he will not extend talks beyond 31stDec 2020. [He also said we would leave on 31st Oct "do or die" and that he'd rather be "dead in a ditch" than ask for an extension to 31st Jan: surely you can see a pattern?]

To get all the laws and regulations in place for 31st Dec, many experts think that negotiations will need to be complete by the end of July. The EU trade deal with Canada, which BLT says he wants for us, took 7years to sort.
Sitting in front of the EU negotiators will be The Liars' Withdrawal Agreement, which is different to what the EU agreed. Are they going to trust BLT to stick with whatever is produced over the course of a few months?
I don't think so: I imagine that they will want every "i" dotting, every "t" crossing and the whole thing signed in blood.

So don't expect "getting it done" to mean that all will be crystal clear on 31st Jan 2020; it may still be fairly muddy on 31st Jan 2021 or 22 or 23 or ....

Happy New Year - Gordon
Apart from a personal rant which parts of the OP's 4 points are you answering, I cant really pick out any guidance at all to help them decide what to do, they are going away this month and probably not particularly interested in your political leanings for the moment, however, they have, in what appears to be good faith, asked for some help, can you help them or not, surely you can at least finish your post with 'And therefore based upon my arguments above you need to....? And clarify the 4 points for them

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Apart from a personal rant which parts of the OP's 4 points are you answering, I cant really pick out any guidance at all to help them decide what to do, they are going away this month and probably not particularly interested in your political leanings for the moment, however, they have, in what appears to be good faith, asked for some help, can you help them or not, surely you can at least finish your post with 'And therefore based upon my arguments above you need to....? And clarify the 4 points for them
How can anyone issue guidance when no-one really knows whats going to happen!!!! In that respect the post is just as usefull as anyone elses in that nobody knows.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I can only go by what we do know at the present time which is we legally stop being members from Jan 31st which would then make the use of Euro plates illegal as they are for the use by member states ? As said why risk any fines by chancing it .

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You're not the first to say "exit with a deal on 31st Jan", so you're not the first to get it wrong!
31stJan is the day that Boris The Liar hopes that the EU will ratify his Withdrawal Agreement.
There then follows months of negotiation to get a deal (or end up with no deal).

HOWEVER, BLT's Withdrawal Agreement Bill which got its second reading before Xmas is different to his WAB which he published in November and to which every Tory candidate had to swear allegiance. Needless to say, none of them had the balls to say "this one is different"!
BUT the EU might say "this isn't what we agreed: go back and start again". Wouldn't that be fun?
Probably they'll just accept it because they are fed up with UK incompetence.

When it comes to negotiating The Deal, Boris The Liar has said that he will not extend talks beyond 31stDec 2020. [He also said we would leave on 31st Oct "do or die" and that he'd rather be "dead in a ditch" than ask for an extension to 31st Jan: surely you can see a pattern?]

To get all the laws and regulations in place for 31st Dec, many experts think that negotiations will need to be complete by the end of July. The EU trade deal with Canada, which BLT says he wants for us, took 7years to sort.
Sitting in front of the EU negotiators will be The Liars' Withdrawal Agreement, which is different to what the EU agreed. Are they going to trust BLT to stick with whatever is produced over the course of a few months?
I don't think so: I imagine that they will want every "i" dotting, every "t" crossing and the whole thing signed in blood.

So don't expect "getting it done" to mean that all will be crystal clear on 31st Jan 2020; it may still be fairly muddy on 31st Jan 2021 or 22 or 23 or ....

Happy New Year - Gordon

WOW.... the OP only asked for a few helpful suggestions.... :rolleyes:

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Hi

Dave
No,No,No and guess what, No

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
Despite a number of posters having confirmed that there will be little, if any, change during the transition period, there still seem to be a lot of disbelievers.

It might be worth having a read of this section, which comes from this web page and confirms that those who are busting a gut to get out will have to either bust a gut or just be a little more patient.... :smiley:

The agreement outlines a transitional period that will last from March 30, 2019 until 31 December 2020. This period could be extended for up to one or two years if both sides agree. But how will life for all UK citizens be affected by this transition period? What will change and what will stay the same?

It’s easy to forget that this agreement is just the first step in negotiations and there is still much to be decided in the future. The emphasis of the withdrawal agreement is on ensuring stability in both the EU and the UK while negotiations on the future relationship continue, based on the priorities set out in an accompanying political declaration.

With stability as its aim, a key aspect of the withdrawal agreement is the fact that it will keep nearly all of EU law in place until the end of the transitional period. This means that little will change for individuals and businesses during this time, with the UK essentially remaining in the single market during the transition.

Significant rules affecting people’s everyday lives, such as the right to travel to other EU countries without visa restrictions, will remain in place.
The only exceptions to this are the areas where the UK already had opt-outs from EU law and certain rules in the area of EU foreign policy. Aside from this, UK courts are bound to act in conformity with EU law during the transition period, for which the EU and the UK expect to conclude a specific treaty in the near future.

The free movement of people will continue during the transition period, meaning EU citizens can continue to move here and work here and Britons can continue to move to rest of the EU. But new controls will be put in place, for example EU citizens living in the UK will need to register for a new government Settled Status scheme by June 30, 2021. If the option to add a year or two to the transition period is taken, then the deadline for this scheme will also be extended.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and I thought the transition period was for trade .
It covers everything
I can only go by what we do know at the present time which is we legally stop being members from Jan 31st which would then make the use of Euro plates illegal as they are for the use by member states ? As said why risk any fines by chancing it .
you don't cease to be members until end of transition or no deal.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I think you're looking for problems where none exist. I came over Dover Calais last night the French passport control waved us thru , they don't even know we are here.... They've got much more to worry about than few tourists who want spend money in France/Spain/insert other EU countries.

Macron has a transport railways strike, Germany has neonazi and AFD idiots, Italy hasn't got a government, Spain has Catalan seperatives.

Do you really think they're worried about whether you've got a GB sticker?

Just sit back and enjoy the wine ?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Read this in one of today's papers. I believe it to be correct.

Holidays
British citizens, like other citizens around the world, are still able to travel to any EU member state up to December 31, 2020, with no impediments such as visas.

After that time, it is likely that visa-free trips will continue for stays of up to 90 days.

The European health insurance card which provides health cover for tourists in another member state also still applies for this period.

After which time, a new deal about these rights and the conditions for entry will be discussed.

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
We are leaving simple ,for the majority going abroad won't be any different as of today your only legally entitled to 90 days and you should have separate health insurance it's only those that are going for months on end or feel that it's going to cost them more money that are moaning if you don't like the UK give up your rights and go and apply for settled status in a country of your choice ! Rant over happy New year ???

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
One interesting difference that I noticed when leaving the ferry at Santander last week was that both our passports, and I assume everyone else’s were scanned before we could get out of the port. Normally it’s been off the ship and straight out but this time it took quite a while.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We are leaving simple ,for the majority going abroad won't be any different as of today your only legally entitled to 90 days and you should have separate health insurance it's only those that are going for months on end or feel that it's going to cost them more money that are moaning if you don't like the UK give up your rights and go and apply for settled status in a country of your choice ! Rant over happy New year ???
Not quite correct I think it’s January 31st 2020 and then 31st December end of transition period. But still nothing decided or even confirmed so go while you can??

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Not quite correct I think it’s January 31st 2020 and then 31st December end of transition period. But still nothing decided or even confirmed so go while you can??
The 90 days as always applied just not enforced and it is always recommend you have separate full medical cover .?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back