Latest update on travelling abroad after Brexit (1 Viewer)

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I don't visit for more than 90 days at a time but the restriction will mean I have to change how I do things. For example, I typically spend May and June in France, Italy, Spain or wherever then come back to the UK for July and August. We usually return in September and stay until the end of October but we will no longer be able to do this after we leave the EU completely. This is because July and August do not amount to 90 days so the clock for counting how long we have been there has not been stopped and it will still be including May and June. This means that at the end of September we will have to return to the UK as we would have reached the 90 day limit (May, June and September). The only way to get around this will be to return to the UK at the end of May and stay in the UK over June, July and August. It is not the end of the world but folk will need to keep a tally of the days they are in Schengen to avoid being caught out.
I shouldn't worry DBK last year I spent slightly more time out of the UK than in it. This year I intend to do the same (currently in Pau heading for Spain). I will spend the summer in my house in France and will be hopelessly over the 90 days in 180 by mid April.

I don't have the slightest concern.

Macron is fighting his own people with tear gas and rubber bullets, the gendarmes are shooting dead terrorists in Paris, the border police are battling insurgency of asylum
seekers on the Italian border.

They are up to their armpits with Albanian drug gangs.

You, and me are not on their radar, just get your critair badge, don't speed, and enjoy all the pleasures France has to offer.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Would think if EU restrict uk citizens movement UK would retaliate by doing the same,,Wonder who the losers would be.Not good for anyone's tourist industries..BUSBY.
Unfortunately the biggest revenue comes from the 2/3 week holiday makers who stay in hotels , visit tourist attractions , eat and drink out big time . And will affect them very little as they will not be over 90 days

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
The US scheme is ESTA

I think it is basically the same sort of system as the new system being introduced next year in which you electronically logged in and out on a permit to monitor the movement and of course length of stay in the zone .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Came across to France on the tunnel last night. For the first time ever we were stopped at the French police booth and our passports apparently scanned - the English Passport officer warned us about it so that we didn't just drive straight past as we usually do.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
If it is France then you apply for a Carte de Séjour but to do that you must be resident ie register for tax and health care and show sufficient resources not to be a burden on the state . There seems to be no residence permit for non permanent residents . At the moment Australians with a holiday hone near us leave after 90 days and either go back to Oz or to the U.K. as she has a U.K. passport but he doesn’t and then return after the correct number if days out

Yes you have to have health care and financial resources, but surely if it is a second home you have ncome/funds to satisfy that. As for tax, if one is taxed in the UK then double-taxation agreements should take care of that.

I cannot quite understand the point about 'non permanent residents' - why should one have to declare whether one is permanent or not? You can go on as many holidays as one wants. Are the Police going to come round to check daily.

As to the question 'Are you resident in another country?' The truthful answer for the UK citizen is that 'I am not registered as Resident in another country', - truthful because there is no registration system in the UK.

These hoops seem easy enough to deal with compared to selling up and changing ones holiday plans.

Geoff

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Yes you have to have health care and financial resources, but surely if it is a second home you have ncome/funds to satisfy that. As for tax, if one is taxed in the UK then double-taxation agreements should take care of that.

I cannot quite understand the point about 'non permanent residents' - why should one have to declare whether one is permanent or not? You can go on as many holidays as one wants. Are the Police going to come round to check daily.

As to the question 'Are you resident in another country?' The truthful answer for the UK citizen is that 'I am not registered as Resident in another country', - truthful because there is no registration system in the UK.

These hoops seem easy enough to deal with compared to selling up and changing ones holiday plans.

Geoff
E477553B-0F5B-4202-8E62-A1ADC71500E8.png

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
It will affect people who own second homes in

We have a similar problem. We have a property in France and visit for 6 weeks at a time. It’s too hot for me in Mid summer so we usually go in May/ June which means we cannot go again until October. We have no family who can use the house when we are not there, we can’t do anything about it, so we have put the house on the market.
If you are on Facebook there is a group called Living in both the U.K. and France which might give you more info but it seems the 90 day rule does apply as you say .

Reactions: DBK

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
Rabies jab last year and titre tested. I think it is 21 days not 30 and that is for return to the UK not for travelling to the EU. (The 30 days is the period after the rabies jab before the titre test can be done. ) Have been travelling to France with dogs for the last dozen years. Never been asked for their passports leaving the UK. Things will definitely change after Brexit but hopefully we will become a Part 1 Listed Country which will only mean changing the current EU passport for a UK one.
Around the date of the last brexit omnishambles in October 2019 I was in the Uk. No official agency in either France or the UK was able to say whether the dog would need a rabies blood test (titrage de sang) or not to return to France. Finally got on to the EU helpline in Brussels - most likely scenario they thought is that immediately after the exit date the UK will be regarded as a 3rd country in the lowest category (think Libya, Algeria etc.) so likely that a rabies blood test may be required to re-enter EU from the UK. But that's only what they thought... upshot is that no-one's been told.

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
Around the date of the last brexit omnishambles in October 2019 I was in the Uk. No official agency in either France or the UK was able to say whether the dog would need a rabies blood test (titrage de sang) or not to return to France. Finally got on to the EU helpline in Brussels - most likely scenario they thought is that immediately after the exit date the UK will be regarded as a 3rd country in the lowest category (think Libya, Algeria etc.) so likely that a rabies blood test may be required to re-enter EU from the UK. But that's only what they thought... upshot is that no-one's been told.
We travelled to France last April when a No Deal was a possibility. Were told by DEFRA that as long as we left before any no deal exit, we would only need the passport. As we knew the previous November what the situation would be there was a no deal exit at the end of March our dog was vaccinated and titre tested. This was a requirement when the passports were introduced and, as a large number of dogs fail, I think that whatever happens over Brexit it should be re-introduced.

Nov 1, 2015
Norwich
Funster No
MH
RAPIDO 686F
Exp
As posted on other related threads regarding travels to Europe.
Just received an email from GOV.UK regarding planned industrial action on ports on the 9th January and reduced Eurostar services.
Ray

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015

It’s the UK that require the rabies vaccination not the EU. When you travel out from the UK with a pet you are not required to go through pet control it is only required when returning to the UK.

The UK does not have a rabies problem which is why the take steps to prevent it coming into the country.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Geoff
The question is not” are you registered as a resident” it is “are you a resident”
You cannot be a resident of two countries so all these ploys to get round overstaying your 90 days when the UK gives up its EU rights, just will not work. Of course you may be able to obtain a Visa in the future to stay longer than 90 days, but I doubt an extended holiday will qualify
It’s not Macron who will be checking whether you have overstayed, it will be the border forces of the UK and EU countries.
Your passport is scanned when you cross between the UK and EU countries and it will be simple for them to work out if you have abided by the rules.
At the moment, there is no requirement for a UK national living in the EU to have a Carte de Sejour and you cannot claim residency just be staying in a different country for over 90 days. You may have to declare your presence but you cannot become a resident if you are already a resident in another country
The 90 day rule in a Shenghen country is just that a rule, not a guidance or something you may just want to ignore.
I’m just waiting for the first person, overstaying their 90 days to find out just what will happen to them and their vehicle.

In my mind there is no difference between UK holidaymakers trying to fiddle the system to stay longer than they are allowed and people overstaying their visas in the UK. If they are caught, they are imprisoned until they are deported and the same could happen if caught illegally in a Shenghen Country.
I thought stopping people staying in the UK illegally and more effective border control was something people voted for a few years ago, now they are advocating attempting to do just that in another country!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
One interesting difference that I noticed when leaving the ferry at Santander last week was that both our passports, and I assume everyone else’s were scanned before we could get out of the port. Normally it’s been off the ship and straight out but this time it took quite a while.
That’s probably just the start until any ‘Deal’ is done. But this is what we want and the Brits love queues

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The question is not” are you registered as a resident” it is “are you a resident”
You cannot be a resident of two countries so all these ploys to get round overstaying your 90 days when the UK gives up its EU rights, just will not work. Of course you may be able to obtain a Visa in the future to stay longer than 90 days, but I doubt an extended holiday will qualify
It’s not Macron who will be checking whether you have overstayed, it will be the border forces of the UK and EU countries.
Your passport is scanned when you cross between the UK and EU countries and it will be simple for them to work out if you have abided by the rules.
At the moment, there is no requirement for a UK national living in the EU to have a Carte de Sejour and you cannot claim residency just be staying in a different country for over 90 days. You may have to declare your presence but you cannot become a resident if you are already a resident in another country
The 90 day rule in a Shenghen country is just that a rule, not a guidance or something you may just want to ignore.
I’m just waiting for the first person, overstaying their 90 days to find out just what will happen to them and their vehicle.

In my mind there is no difference between UK holidaymakers trying to fiddle the system to stay longer than they are allowed and people overstaying their visas in the UK. If they are caught, they are imprisoned until they are deported and the same could happen if caught illegally in a Shenghen Country.
I thought stopping people staying in the UK illegally and more effective border control was something people voted for a few years ago, now they are advocating attempting to do just that in another country!
Perfectly put but ignored by the many I suspect

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
For the OP David & Gill ... my understanding is that if the WAB is passed by parliament in time, and if the EU accept the fact that it has been changed from what was agreed, then we enter the transition phase until the end of the year. If this happens your EHIC card will be valid and you won’t need IDPs or a Green Card and pet requirements are as they are now.

However, if something goes wrong, there is a possibility that we may crash out on 31st January without a deal. In this case you would need IDPs, a green card and insurance and, potentially, full rabies testing to bring your pet back. I’m guessing the U.K. govt will have bigger priorities than making things easier for holidaymakers so won’t have anything in place yet.

So, at this point, it all depends on your attitude to risk. In your shoes I would play safe and risk spending some money that was unnecessary to avoid potential big hassle later.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Becoming an illegal immigrants in EU over staying .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Becoming an illegal immigrants in EU over staying .
Yet, still people think it won’t apply to them or the authorities won’t bother.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Yet, still people think it won’t apply to them or the authorities won’t bother.

I did a bit of research a couple of years ago but you can only go by postings by US citizens which we will possibly come under the same heading . In that when you become a illegal immigrant you will be stopped and fined but the fines can vary from what ever country and the countries courts you have tried to leave the zone by but fines range from 600 to 1000 euros each and then a year ban . But it could then lead to prison if the fines are not paid .

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I did a bit of research a couple of years ago but you can only go by postings by US citizens which we will possibly come under the same heading . In that when you become a illegal immigrant you will be stopped and and fined but the fines can vary from what ever country you have tried to leave the zone by but fines range from 600 to 1000 euros each and then a year ban .
I think there are guidelines but each country will be able to implement them as they see fit. At the moment, overstaying your 90 days in the EU is generally ignored but this will change after the UK is no longer a member of the EU and after the transition period ends.
What people do now is irrelevant as it will all change soon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back