LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Must be hundreds of border crossings possibly thousands throughout Europe,,Think i have used over a dozen into Spain from France,,many more from Portugal..Not so simple..BUSBY.
But will they not just be required between new EU and non-EU borders as infrastructure will be in situ for existing crossing points, eg Switzerland?

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
But will they not just be required between new EU and non-EU borders as infrastructure will be in situ for existing crossing points, eg Switzerland?

But what about checking for individual country requirements like those requiring sufficient finances for staying. These may vary from country to country.

I think that maybe idealism is coming up against reality.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Perhaps they will use automatic number plate recognition on the Spanish border, like we'll have for the Kingdom of Kent? The EU governments are generally well ahead of England in brexit border control preparation.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
If you have been to the EU in the last few years they know exactly who the driver is by your reg no i pulled up at the passport booth in Santander and my passport picture was on the their screen, before i gave them my passport, then they zip all the passports, so thats day 1 and counting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I know it’s all speculation but it’s something to do but we have paid a deposit on a tour for August/September2021 that includes about 30 days in Croatia plus another 30 days in EU countries.
As it’s an organised tour we will have an itinerary and I will keep receipts and let’s assume Croatia won’t have joined by then. My crossing is Dover/Calais which is nice and automated. When I return of course it will be as well but I’m just interested in what happens if I turn back round a few days later, head out to Beni and stay 60 days.

I should in theory be OK as I was in not in a Schengen country for 30 days of my apparent 60 day first absence but I may have to be trying to argue either at Santander on my return journey or would it be on my arrival back in the UK. I will keep my receipts from the previous holiday.(we do Portsmouth Santander for Spain)
Any thoughts?

Pete5996

Free Member
Sep 18, 2016
Deep in the Lot
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2002
I know it’s all speculation but it’s something to do but we have paid a deposit on a tour for August/September2021 that includes about 30 days in Croatia plus another 30 days in EU countries.
As it’s an organised tour we will have an itinerary and I will keep receipts and let’s assume Croatia won’t have joined by then. My crossing is Dover/Calais which is nice and automated. When I return of course it will be as well but I’m just interested in what happens if I turn back round a few days later, head out to Beni and stay 60 days.

I should in theory be OK as I was in not in a Schengen country for 30 days of my apparent 60 day first absence but I may have to be trying to argue either at Santander on my return journey or would it be on my arrival back in the UK. I will keep my receipts from the previous holiday.(we do Portsmouth Santander for Spain)
Any thoughts?

You can put your planned dates into this Schengen calculator and see if it works out.

That's assuming your exit from Schengen into Croatia and return into the area are recorded. I've no experience of crossing into Croatia - are passports scanned on the border?

Jun 29, 2012
Penrith
Funster No
MH
DIMS van conversion
Exp
since 2010
Couple of hours to position a Portacabin in required location. Couple of days to connect the required utility services.
It doesn't even take that.

A few days after the terrorist incident in Nice (where the perpetrator escaped out of France) we were travelling from Spain to Braganca in Portugal on a very small backroad (ZA925). Miles from anywhere, in the dark (about 7pm), we saw a red "light-stick" being waved by a guy in Military (GNR) Uniform accompanied by his colleague (with machine-gun at the ready).
He was only interested in establishing my identity and did so by checking my driving licence and passport.

There is speculation that it would be impossible for any Schengen nation to patrol its borders - 24/7. But how long would it take before the penny drops and "travellers" begin to calculate that the odds of being detected - randomly - are not worth it.
Anyone who travels in, for example, Spain and Portugal on a regular basis will have seen "pop-up" roadblocks and even been stopped at one?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
You can put your planned dates into this Schengen calculator and see if it works out.

That's assuming your exit from Schengen into Croatia and return into the area are recorded. I've no experience of crossing into Croatia - are passports scanned on the border?
I know the number of days work, I also have no experience of the Croatian borders and was wondering if anyone knew anymore than you or me! Thanks though.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It doesn't even take that.

A few days after the terrorist incident in Nice (where the perpetrator escaped out of France) we were travelling from Spain to Braganca in Portugal on a very small backroad (ZA925). Miles from anywhere, in the dark (about 7pm), we saw a red "light-stick" being waved by a guy in Military (GNR) Uniform accompanied by his colleague (with machine-gun at the ready).
He was only interested in establishing my identity and did so by checking my driving licence and passport.

There is speculation that it would be impossible for any Schengen nation to patrol its borders - 24/7. But how long would it take before the penny drops and "travellers" begin to calculate that the odds of being detected - randomly - are not worth it.
Anyone who travels in, for example, Spain and Portugal on a regular basis will have seen "pop-up" roadblocks and even been stopped at one?
Lost count of the amount of times I’ve been stopped. Should have more here.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Interesting, ta, but I'm bored of movement regs and restrictions at the mo so I'm not going to give myself gas over the formalities. I'll just check them out when I'm ready/allowed to go abroad.
Us I think we will wait to see If there is and what will be in the Brexit Agreement all seems a bit like guesswork at the moment, we would like to go to Spain early next year but, due to advise we will not until this Chinese / Danish Virus is cleared up or we get a safe vaccine (whatever that is )

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I think Spain will be in such dire shite once Brexit & Covid is sorted they will welcome you with open arms and let you stay as long as you like...

As long as you are spending £££££££££££££££££££`s...... they need our money...

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think Spain will be in such dire shite once Brexit & Covid is sorted they will welcome you with open arms and let you stay as long as you like...

Similar to what I posted on a similar thread.

some kind of bilateral agreement

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Had this today 6/11/20

Visas from 1 January 2021
The rules for travelling or working in Europe will change from 1 January 2021:

you will be able to travel to countries in the Schengen area for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa as a tourist, to visit family or friends, to attend business meetings, cultural or sports events, or for short-term studies or training.
if you are travelling to Spain and other Schengen countries without a visa, make sure your whole visit is within the limit. Visits to Schengen countries within the previous 180 days before you travel would count towards the 90-day limit
to stay for longer, to work or study, for business travel or for other reasons, you will need to meet the entry requirements set out by Spain. This could mean applying for a visa and/or work permit. You should check with the Spanish Embassy what type of visa and/or work permit, if any, you will need
if you are in Spain with a visa or permit, your stay will not count towards the 90-day limit
The 90-day limit for visa-free travel will begin on 1 January 2021. Any days you stay in Spain or other Schengen countries before 1 January 2021 will not count towards the 90-day limit.

At border control for Spain, you may need to:

show a return or onward ticket
show you have enough money for your stay, and
use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing
Your passport may be stamped on entry and exit.

Passport validity
The rules on travel will stay the same until 31 December 2020.

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this. This applies to the whole of Spain, including the Canary Islands and the Balearic Islands (Majorca, Menorca, Ibiza and Formentera).

Passport validity from 1 January 2021
From 1 January 2021, you must have at least 6 months left on an adult or child passport to travel to most countries in Europe (not including Ireland).

If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the 6 months needed.
The extension of validity extends to those of us over 70 and have had the validity extended for 11 months, such as myself. But if you wish to travel out of the UK, the DVLA says renew it before travel overseas as the expiry date shown on your driving licence will still apply out of there UK

Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
I think there a lot of misconceptions over Schengen control...i get the impression people believe once in the EU they will be free to roam wherever they want as nobody will be checking them.... wrong, as soon as you cross via tunnel or ferry you will be logged on to the system....there wont be any queues...you do it now when they take your passport off you....takes seconds.....finally remember the onus if pulled over or stopped will be on you to prove where and when you have been...the authorities will instantly be able to tell how long ago you entered Schengen... and everyone is also forgetting the new ETIAS system they are introducing in Europe...this whole system is designed precisely so they know who exactly is wandering around their countries....the days of living "under the radar" will soon be ending..... and if Macron gets his way border controls will be introduced everywhere.. ;-)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Lost count of the amount of times I’ve been stopped. Should have more here.
You should try living near a gendarme school lol Have been stopped many times as they go out to practice on our local roads !

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
... and everyone is also forgetting the new ETIAS system they are introducing in Europe...this whole system is designed precisely so they know who exactly is wandering around their countries....

There has been several threads and posts discussing ETIAS and what it entails, so NO not "everyone" is forgetting it.

Broken Link Removed

ETIAS will be launched toward the end of 2022 but it will not be mandatory until 2023. A 6-month grace period is planned to allow eligible travelers to become familiarized with the new regulation.

Broken Link Removed

Pete

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years

We hope so

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH

So how will Spain or any other country be able to have a bilateral agreement with the UK when it breaks the terms of the argreement that they have with the EU?

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
So how will Spain or any other country be able to have a bilateral agreement with the UK when it breaks the terms of the argreement that they have with the EU?

Simply because a lot of EU countries are guilty of the same thing including Spain!

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back