Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Hitler funded the guns to protect Cartegena from an Allied invasion during WW2 ..He thought that we may have invaded Europe through Spain..Ironic that they were manufactured in UK,,Barrow in Furness i think,, BUSBY,,

I have some reservation about this. My understanding is that they where constructed between 1926 and 1933, the biggest guns where made by Vickers, Probably at Barrow. Franco was not installed until Sept 1936. It was "alleged" that the plot of the "Guns of Navarone" was based on an idea to destroy these guns IF Franco had declared for Hitler. With a 30km range they would have been dangerous to shipping trying to steam in the Med.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have some reservation about this. My understanding is that they where constructed between 1926 and 1933, the biggest guns where made by Vickers, Probably at Barrow. Franco was not installed until Sept 1936. It was "alleged" that the plot of the "Guns of Navarone" was based on an idea to destroy these guns IF Franco had declared for Hitler. With a 30km range they would have been dangerous to shipping trying to steam in the Med.

But were they new when purcases

Just had a look on line and you are correct Peter,,well before Franco,,,BUSBY,,

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
The guns nearest to Cartegena have plates on them which actually say "Made in Sheffield" and I also have some photos somewhere. There are other guns near Mazaron which are worth a visit as well.
This is a photo of the Mazaron ones.
20160121_152803-1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The really big 15" ones where made most likely at Barrow, which produced in excess of 40.

It is also likely that some of the others where produced at what became Forgemasters?. In Sheffield, many other large guns where made at the Vickers plant in Leeds which I think was once the Royal Ordanance Factory?.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
The really big 15" ones where made most likely at Barrow, which produced in excess of 40.

It is also likely that some of the others where produced at what became Forgemasters?. In Sheffield, many other large guns where made at the Vickers plant in Leeds which I think was once the Royal Ordanance Factory?.

Yes - ROFLeeds :)

Aug 17, 2011
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Arapaho
Exp
since 2005
Having been to both Mazarron and Portman gun locations. What fascinates me, are the logistics involved in the build at both sites. It's hard enough getting to the top carrying just a bottle of water and a sandwich.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Having been to both Mazarron and Portman gun locations. What fascinates me, are the logistics involved in the build at both sites. It's hard enough getting to the top carrying just a bottle of water and a sandwich.

Would imagine everything including the guns would have been transported to the the site by sea,,,BUSBY,,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back