Just Sealed the Deal on our First MH (2 Viewers)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hello Carthago Owners.
Due to severe Quality Concerns we cancelled our Swift Bolero order for our first Motor home and went instead for our first Carthago.
Its a 2017 C Tourer T148H with Leather and raised rear twin bed format. Our dealers vans get delivered with very little as standard apart from Chassis Packs, Comfort Packs and Tech tower, maybe coffee machine but not on ours we have our own nespresso.
So we now need to dig deep again and get the awning, radio, solar, alarm & Tracker sorted out, so it may well be a weekend stay at The Cornish Farm to see Eddie. Then we will think about a Sat Dish, but cant have everything at once, wallet is too thin already.
As mentioned above this will be our first Moho, I hope we have made the best decision, in terms of quality, yes I think we have, in terms of layout, well lets just say there are many compromises to accept, or maybe more accurately get used to.
Looking forward to our first journey sometime mid September.
Any advice from you well seasoned Cathago owners would be very much appreciated, we have moved over from Caravaning to MH as we wish to tour Europe, especially Italy & Sicily.
Best wishes to all.
Les & Tina L

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Congratulations to you on your purchase.
Exciting times ahead for you.
Enjoy.
Brisey.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
In terms of quality a great decision to switch, a cracking marque.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome :WelcomeFlag:and hope you have many happy and safe trips in your new MH

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Best of luck with your new van

Who is the supplying dealer?

Do they expect you to pay £300 for a habitation inspection after 3 months ?

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We have a C Tourer T148 which we are absolutely delighted with. The quality of construction is quantum leaps ahead of our previous motorhomes and being a bit narrower than the norm it's a delight to drive. The only real downside seems to be that the dealer network is a bit patchy and in our experience seem to think that all Carthago owners are stinking rich!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Congratulations, exciting times :). There is no rush for the extras, see how you get on without them first if all. (Apart from alarm of course) We put am awning on our first and then hardly used it. So on our second van didn't bother having one fitted and a quest screen house instead :)

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Many thanks everyone for your support in our choice of manufacturer.
Yes The Carthago just seems to expel quality inside & out, love the garage, double floor construction, the locker door catches are fantastic, I haven't driven one yet, but I am told they are as quiet as you can get.
We managed to get 3 years free servicing as we took one available from stock, a free BBQ and a romolski? well something that sounds similar its a cooker thingie.
We bought from Chelstons in Somerset, they are a 130 miles from home, which is not brilliant, but I am hoping for not a lot to go wrong with our new van, its a long story, but Chelstons Motorhomes have a great reputation, and we did feel we let them down in cancelling our order for a Swift Bolero as they had gone a long way to get us one, however due to long delays in manufacture, along with recent quality concerns on their new builds. we thought we would be mugs to accept one.

Any tips of things to look out for on the PDI would be useful, cant be as many as with a swift product we think.
Best wishes to all
Les & Tina L

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Forgot to mention a couple of concerns in last thread.
1. steel spare wheel or not is the question, dealer suggested just carrying a spare tyre only as this would be lighter than the whole wheel....dont know if that would be sensible solution or not, if the sealant and pump does not work, then I would still need a tyre fitter to turn up.

2. Our chosen model is plated at 3500KG Light, with a possible upgrade to 3650 or something like that, I know it will be a task in itself to run at 3500KG in holiday mode, but the advantages of doing so will hopefully prove to be worth it,with not only road tolls, but enabling future purchasers to drive without a C1 license, so as you can probably tell, I had to use head over heart on making this decision. Was I right to do so??

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We had ours upped to 3650 as a freeby by the suppliers, although for some reason it was actually plated at 3650 already (3500 in the V5). We carry a spare tyre but no wheel as a compromise so if we are abroad at least we don't have to wait for one to be ordered and I understand you can get them fitted on the roadside ok in most places. And yes, they are fantastically quiet on the road!

Unless the 2017 model is better equipped (ours is a 2016) you may want to look at having the dealer fit a 12v socket somewhere in the van? The cab socket is via the ignition and no use when off the road. There is a mains plug hidden in the garage as well that isn't mentioned in the handbook!

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Oh, and if Eddie is fitting a solar panel for you make sure you get a Batterymaster as well which will ensure your vehicle battery gets charged as well as the hab battery. I think he includes them in his deals but they are cheap as chips anyway and incredibly useful. You can have a second battery fitted easily in the space provided as well.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I would personally get it pirated by the dealer to 3650. You save money on road tax and a future resale it's only a paper exercise to reduce down to 3500.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I would personally get it pirated by the dealer to 3650. You save money on road tax and a future resale it's only a paper exercise to reduce down to 3500.

:D Meant unrated of course :D

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We put am awning on our first and then hardly used it. So on our second van didn't bother having one fitted and a quest screen house instead
That's exactly what we have decided on our most recent van. Quest screen houses are the business!

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'd certainly agree with up rating to 3650
That extra 150 kg could make a massive difference to you when touring.
I wouldn't concern yourself with future owners - do what's right for you.

Have you got an EHU lead?
I was suprised to discover at handover that our Carthago didn't include one.

Dont forget to post some pics of your new van when it arrives

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Many thanks BobtheBass, I have to admit, I didn't count the number of 240 & 12 Volt sockets in the habitation area, I know Continental vans are normally very short on these, so I guessed I would need some more added later. I didn't notice any sockets in the garage, just one strip light on the ceiling, can you tell me where this hidden garage 240volt socket is please. we will need one to charge the E-Bikes.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes to 3650kg and my guess would be that you will still be paying class 2 tolls as long as the height is less than 3 metres.

Enjoy.

Martin

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
On the left hand side of the box containing all the electrical gizmos in the garage is a small black plate. Lift this up and there should be a socket underneath!

OP
OP
TinaLes
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'd certainly agree with up rating to 3650
That extra 150 kg could make a massive difference to you when touring.
I wouldn't concern yourself with future owners - do what's right for you.

Have you got an EHU lead?
I was suprised to discover at handover that our Carthago didn't include one.

Dont forget to post some pics of your new van when it arrives

Thanks for the tips Robert.
I agree, think that getting it uprated before we pick it up does seem the way to go with that extra 150KG,s could be useful. I take it that the V5 would show 3650, as well as the new sticker/plate?, if so then sadly defeats the chance of getting the lower rate road tolls and "normal" vignet in Switzerland, but thats an informed choice at least.

What are those Germans like?, they give away nothing do they?, not even an EHU lead to plug it in!
Luckily as we traded our nearly new caravan in, we have loads of stuff, like EHU lead, Aquarolls, Wastehog, Milenco leveler, even a Kampa Air Awning which is great but maybe never use it with moho
All the best, thanks again.
Les & Tina

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
But the money you save on the road tax more than pays for tolls :)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I would load the van fully and go to a local weighbridge before you uprate it.
Only 1 month ago I did this excercise. Fully laden with water, fuel, food, clothes, air awning, tools chairs, and easyilft scooter rack with SYM jet 4 125 cc scooter. I was astonished when all the weights, front rear axles, and 3.5 tonnes all came in underweight. I have the certificate to prove it if stopped as well.
So try it first.
Phil

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
But if uprated before pick up then the cost will be the dealership :)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Get it uprated as high as you can. Get the dealer to do it. Uprating will result in cheaper road tax.
I would also get them to fit solar and extra batteries and 12v point and haggle price.
Other stuff might be a case of use it and see. Maybe refillable gas?.
Try and do without hook up as it may save you a fortune not needing it.
Good luck! Exciting times ahead!!!!!

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
There is a really interesting article on the vanbitz site about whether you need a solar panel or not. Until you use the van you don't know whether you like being of the grid or staying on airs etc, if staying on campsites then the cost of a solar buys a lot of electric.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had ours upped to 3650 as a freeby by the suppliers, although for some reason it was actually plated at 3650 already (3500 in the V5). We carry a spare tyre but no wheel as a compromise so if we are abroad at least we don't have to wait for one to be ordered and I understand you can get them fitted on the roadside ok in most places.

We carry a spare tyre but no wheel. I wouldn't be able to change a wheel at the roadside and wouldn't want Martin to do so therefore we'd call out the rescue service in any event :). I did check with them and as the van was not supplied with a spare (just a can of gunk) they will attend for a puncture, I have to let them know I have a tyre that would need to be fitted and not a spare wheel, that is so they can send a breakdown van with mobile tyre fitting equipment on board.

We had our van up-plated by the dealer to 3650 as when fully loaded and with kayaks, cycles and all the associated gear we are over the 3500. We didn't want to go away and have to chose in advance either kayak or cycle. If the next owner wants to downplate that's their choice, as I understand it a paper exercise and maybe even free. In Eire we were charged class 2 at the tolls, same as a car or small van. We are under 3 metres tall which appears to be the determining factor.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back