Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
You are already down.

I wouldn't suggest anyone takes the high passes, lovely though they are they do mean a lot of wiggles. Just buy the Vignette, about £20 or so, and they Swiss will lay on beautiful holes through the mountains. I do not anticipate snow on the motoways and anyway it would be cleared with Swiss efficiency.

I would not rule some hairpins but coaches and wagons manage so you will.

Thanks, Brian, for the advice.

Our van, too, may be a 3.8kg; looking at the previous post, will this be a problem?

Also trying to help, I saw that the Rose D'Or festival is in Lucerne from 8th -12th May. We arrive in Italy on 12th, so we will be passing through Lucerne when the festival is on. I can't see, however, this affecting the campsite accommodation - or will it?
Lucille

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our van, too, may be a 3.8kg; looking at the previous post, will this be a problem?

Also trying to help, I saw that the Rose D'Or festival is in Lucerne from 8th -12th May. We arrive in Italy on 12th, so we will be passing through Lucerne when the festival is on. I can't see, however, this affecting the campsite accommodation - or will it?
Lucille

Oh dear, I'll start another thread on Swiss motorways, someone on here must have taken a heavy one.

When we stopped in Luzern in 2008 it was May 6/7th. But I don't know when the Rose D'Or was on that year. Anyway, 12th is just a target. I suggest we wait until the ACSI book is out next January and see what dates the rates change, I'm always up for a bargain, then we can agree a date around that time.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are interested in this trip. Could be a problem in Switzerland as our van is 4000 kg. Not just sure how the road charges work. If anyone could let my know would appreciate it or I could look up on the net.

Please put us down as an interested party and will decide in new year.

Thanks Kath and Keith.

Sorted - no problem at all !

In fact cheaper than the lightweights will have to pay for an annual vignette :Sad:

All of these charges have to be paid in advance.

Daily charge is CHF 3.25 - you can choose the number of days.
Monthly charge is CHF 58.50 - you can choose the number of months.
1 year is CHF 650.
A ten day pass is CHF 32.50. The days don't have to be consecutive, you just have to enter the day(s) on which you will be on Swiss roads before you arrive.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Sooty 10

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Nelson, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
c Class
Exp
Since 1999.
Thanks for info on Swiss toll charges for motorhomes over 3.5 ton. Sounds a lot better than we thought. Looks like we will be ok to take that route after all.

Keith and Kath.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for info on Swiss toll charges for motorhomes over 3.5 ton. Sounds a lot better than we thought. Looks like we will be ok to take that route after all.
Keith and Kath.

It surprised me in the end. It looks like you might have to buy 10 days at €32 but that is cheaper than one way through Mont Blanc.

These border motorway passes are a real pain for folk who like to wander ( blunder ? ) around Europe but they are cheaper than paying French tolls, as they should be because they don't have thousands of poor people rotting in toll booths.

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
italy visit

But this is a legitimate nudge, inspired by ralph-dot who not only takes excellent pictures, more important he takes the trouble to put meaningful comments on them, I've done a Garda album.

Link Removed

Enjoy.

While a newbie here, I would be very interested in joining the party to Italy. Around that time, we will be heading south anyway as we have a holiday home in Calabria. It would be great to join the group along the way and spending time up north as well.

No doubt these dates will be firmed up later on but it sounds like a good plan.

Francis

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
Hi Brian,

This sounds a superb idea. Please add me to the list.

philip

grandpabeard

Free Member
Jul 28, 2009
Solihull West Midland
Funster No
MH
demountable
Exp
since May 2009
Hi Please put us on the list, although this would be our first venture abroad but sounds great. Would love to give it a try!!

:thumb:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Italy

Hi, this looks interesting, so any further info would be very much appreciated, no matter how basic. I driven a car in various countries, but not my motorhome. Its quite small, but cosy ha ha, so if you would kindly put me on your list.

Also, I would like to travel with another MH - just in case!

Keep me posted, Many thanks, S. :thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
so if you would kindly put me on your list.

Also, I would like to travel with another MH - just in case!

Keep me posted, Many thanks, S. :thumb:

You are on the list. I'll start asking serious questions in January and get folk to book Italy because it's not that big a site.

Hmmmm. I'm starting to feel a bit of responsibility here. Tastes do differ. But no, as long as the weather is kind anyone not happy gets thrown in the lake, they are unworthy.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You are on the list. I'll start asking serious questions in January and get folk to book Italy because it's not that big a site.

Hmmmm. I'm starting to feel a bit of responsibility here. Tastes do differ. But no, as long as the weather is kind anyone not happy gets thrown in the lake, they are unworthy.

Made the mistake of getting pretty ratted on the local vino and jumping in the lake for a swim.......

Really clear and inviting with all those fish......But Bl+++y cold......:Doh:

freezing.gif

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
how long is the meet for. We are new so forgive our lack of knowledge.

Leeks

I'm going to book for a week. Everyone makes up their own mind.

Loads of options - Italian railways are really good value - Venice is under €8 off peak.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Made the mistake of getting pretty ratted on the local vino and jumping in the lake for a swim.......

Really clear and inviting with all those fish......But Bl+++y cold......:Doh:

freezing.gif

You didn't notice the snow on the hills ? The clue was there :Smile:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Italy

I'm packing my sun tan lotion, and my hot water bottle :ROFLMAO:
S.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Unfortunately lack of funds mean we will not be able to make this meet, it looks like it will be very good.

Ralph & Dot

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unfortunately lack of funds mean we will not be able to make this meet
Ralph & Dot

I know the feeling. The costs are now starting to sting, gone are the days when we'd just "do it".

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm packing my sun tan lotion, and my hot water bottle :ROFLMAO:
S.

:Smile: have you seen these.....
Link Removed

It was just nice for use Brits last year, not baking hot, that comes later. If you look at the people in this pic, they're not stripped off. This beech is the other side of town from Butterfly, you can see caravans at the back, this is a massive "Holiday Camp" sized site or sites.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sounds really interesting. Verona is fantastic. Keep me informed. Its a real possibility for us.::bigsmile:

billkce@ntlworld.com
:Cool:

Will do.

We've never visited Verona - tell us more and any other ideas for the area.

The reason I'm planning on a full week is to get to see more of Italy properly and I think a train ride or a boat ride will be nice change from struggling to park.

'er indoors insists we do Florence the same on the way back. There is a campsite overlooking the city with a short bus ride into it. We've had 5 nights in Florence ( doesn't Firenza so so much better ::bigsmile: ) 5 years ago, another few will be no hardship.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

Sirmione on Lake Garda is one of many really great places to visit. The buses are cheap & regular to Verona & many other interesting towns and cities in the Po valley. Trains are good too - Florence, Venice are easy day trips. There is a ferry service on Lake Garda which goes from lakeside town to town.

A friend who visited Sirmione recently said she saw loads of 'vans parked up just outside the town walls - in the car park I think.

That part of the world is well worth a month of anyones time.:Smile::thumb:

If this becomes a goer - we are definately in.

Cheers

Bill & Carole::bigsmile:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If this becomes a goer - we are definately in.
Cheers
Bill & Carole::bigsmile:

I like your enthusiasm. I know that feeling. Well we are going anyway, barring some personal disaster of which I can think of none.

I'd love to infect first timers to Italy and that is the purpose of this thread, to help others discover the place. Since you are already infected you'll be a great help.

Then, some time in January we just have to iron out dates.

I've just looked back. We got infected in May 1998. I saw a TV travel prog on Cannaro Riviera, booked room via Magic of Italy and off we went by bike via Chamonix. The whole trip was an outstanding success, even being told off in Milan for using a bus lane. The people in Hotel Cannaro treated us like old friends, nothing was too much trouble. We watched Foggy race at Monza. So we've never looked back. Returned to Monza last year in the MH, a totally insane experience.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Is this serendipity or what???:whatthe:

I have just worked out a provisinal - provisional route from Le Havre, via Gourdon (Lot) and Carcassonne to Garda by the scenic route (yes over the mountains and north of Milan. We had thought April May would be the time of choice, and then I discovered this thread. Astonishing.

From my point of view I'm seriously interested. I imagine Pat will be too.
Count us in - provisionally of course:winky:

John

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lake Garda

How many interested parties?
No pressure now!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
S.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How many interested parties?
No pressure now!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
S.

12 interested plus us that's 13

Ohhhhhherrrrrrrr.

Only real pressure is the weather and there's nothing I can do about that. We certainly won't be as badly off as the poor souls in the Valencia region right now.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is this serendipity or what???:whatthe:
I have just worked out a provisinal - provisional route from Le Havre, via Gourdon (Lot) and Carcassonne to Garda by the scenic route (yes over the mountains and north of Milan. We had thought April May would be the time of choice, and then I discovered this thread. Astonishing.
From my point of view I'm seriously interested. I imagine Pat will be too.
Count us in - provisionally of course:winky:
John

Well that's the long way. Carcassone is certainly worth a visit. My route gets us to Garda quickly to suit folk who might not have the time or desire to stretch it out going. But after Garda I have a wife who wants to re-visit Firenza, then maybe a quick look at Pisa and that points at the Med and some nice way home. Round the Med and up Route Napoleon is a possibility, we did it once and could hardly see the road let alone the allegedly magnificent scenery.

My plan is just to agree dates for a week in Butterfly then throw rest open for discussion here/now/later and see we we all make of it.

Anyone with a brainwave ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back