Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
12 interested plus us that's 13

We're safe - JayDee added to the list.

Mind you, our best ever family holiday was a flotilla sailing round the Greek isles and that was 12 punters plus a lead boat. An incredible time was had be all and we all learned the hard way - beware cheap Greek red wine.

If you get a good group that hit it off it really makes a holiday, we had the good luck to do this in April with the Moroccan trip. That was around 12 plus the lead vehicle.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've stayed at Descenzano a couple of times and found the area stunning.
Even though we had the motorbike with us, we still took the bus to Venice - so much easier not having to look for somewhere SAFE to park, plus it was'nt expensive.
We went to Verona on the bike and parked outside a church. When we returned a couple of hours later there was a chap with a camera and an orderly queue waiting to have their photos taken on our pride and joy!
Another must whilst you at Garda is a visit to the poet Annuzzio's house on the west side of the lake. I don't know what he was on when he designed the house, but it must have been good stuff.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We've stayed at Descenzano a couple of times and found the area stunning.
We went to Verona on the bike and parked outside a church. When we returned a couple of hours later there was a chap with a camera and an orderly queue waiting to have their photos taken on our pride and joy!

That's only 4 miles from Peschiera. We'll have the bikes with us next time so probably get to see it.

What was the bike to get that much attention - your avatar is a PAN isn't it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Not a Pan, it's an 1800 Goldwing, although at the time the bike we had was only the 1500 Goldwing.
Can also recommend Sirmione on a weekend when all the locals "promenade".

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
italian trip

hi.
this trip sounds good to me , my wife & i would like to travel in tandam to any other couple or family that are thinking of going on this adventure, ? would you please pencil us in for this trip & keep us informned, we live in lancashire.
regards:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
hi.
this trip sounds good to me , my wife & i would like to travel in tandam to any other couple or family that are thinking of going on this adventure, ? would you please pencil us in for this trip & keep us informned, we live in lancashire.
regards:thumb:

Consider yourself pencilled in.

I was born in Lancashire but drifted south into Cheshire. There seems to be a lot of us around Manchester.

Adventure ? If you've never experienced Switzerland/Italy maybe but otherwise just a feast for the eyes and the mouth. Two things the Italians thrive on, style and food. Err, and speed, but we don't do that in MHs. Hey, I've never been on one of the hydrofoils, they seem to have stopped running on Maggiore, maybe that is one target for me, grab a hydrofoil.

Link Removed

They are getting a bit old now, aren't we all, so it would be good to catch one while we can.

onthebeach

Formerly 'Leggo'
Jul 19, 2009
Southern Spain
Funster No
Exp
5 yrs
Italy Lake Garda

Hi,

We were wondering is anyone else taking a motorbike as we are taking ours. Or are you taking your pushbikes. (As we could bring our pushbikes as well).

Leggo:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi,
We were wondering is anyone else taking a motorbike as we are taking ours. Or are you taking your pushbikes. (As we could bring our pushbikes as well).
Leggo:thumb:

We don't have the capacity to carry even a 50cc :cry: so it's a pair of electric bikes for us. There are some advantages, we can ride then places motor vehicles can't go.

I made the terrible mistake last time of not taking them because the main site we were heading for had hire bikes - this idiot never considered all the other places en route.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
looks a really interesting trip Brian. Its a shame it,s not in the school holidays as we would of loved to of come.
Hope you all have a great time though:thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Its a shame it,s not in the school holidays as we would of loved to of come.
Hope you all have a great time though:thumb:

Sorry about that. We've done May now for over 12 years and it started because of visiting an annual exhibition always in May, one year Milan the next Hanover. This has shown that the weather is decent, not too hot and prices are reasonable, so why break a good plan. In fact Rome at the end of May is so hot it's impossible to ride a bike with a jacket on, the bike cops ride in shirt sleeves too.

I would argue that visiting Italy is one of the most educational things you can do and so can be done at any time and who can argue when the best of the British have been doing the same for hundreds of years and St Paul's in London would have looked like a brick toilet but for the Italian influence.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lake Garda

Hi, May is good for me, as folk that I work with have already booked the school hols off as they have children ::bigsmile: and the heat would be a killer for sightseeing in!
S.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, May is good for me, as folk that I work with have already booked the school hols off as they have children ::bigsmile: and the heat would be a killer for sightseeing in!
S.

Good because for me it's happening in May - middle to end is up for negotiation - then we'll should have very pleasant weather, not too crowded and good prices.

Butterfly is in the 2009 ACSI book as offering a price of €15 all May+June and 7 for 6 deals. That'll do nicely. Those with the ACSI book it's site number 1535.

I'm beginning to wonder if a week is long enough, I think we've done too much touring and not enough holidaying in our 2 years of MHing. A whole week is an improvement though, I think 4 nights is the record to date. Decisions, decisions. 10 nights gives a good week if you get my logic.

It's entirely up to anyone for the meet how long they stay of course.

They seem to allow dogs - did someone ask ?
50 touring pitches available.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Brian

10 nights gives a good week if you get my logic.

I sure do, that would give us enough time to explore the Lake Garda area and also to do a few excursions further afield.

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian

10 nights gives a good week if you get my logic.

I sure do, that would give us enough time to explore the Lake Garda area and also to do a few excursions further afield.

Brisey (Brian & Pam)

I think it has a good feel to it. At least for those with the available time. The other logic behind May is we get back before the garden is totally overgrown and make the best of a Brit summer and some FUN meets here.

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Please add me to your reminder list for next January. I'm starting the planning for our trip next year to Italy and Greece from our home in southern Spain. Northern Italy in early May would be perfect.

Best

Mike

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Please add me to your reminder list for next January. I'm starting the planning for our trip next year to Italy and Greece from our home in southern Spain. Northern Italy in early May would be perfect.

Best

Mike

You are on the list. But would mid May suit you ? 15th of May ?

One thing to think of with this trip is Caesar and one or two others did this 2000 years ago, how amazing was that. I wonder how long it took from Rome to England ? How did they find the time ? And of course they did Spain regularly.

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I'm beginning to wonder if a week is long enough, I think we've done too much touring and not enough holidaying in our 2 years of MHing. A whole week is an improvement though ...10 nights gives a good week if you get my logic.

It's entirely up to anyone for the meet how long they stay of course.

Mid to end May suits us, Brian. We would probably stay on longer than a week, to do some sights.
We are interested in taking the train as you suggest to Venice.
We would also like to go to Florence and we will probably go back to Diano Marina to meet the friends we made there last year. So we will have to make our own way home.
We will be travelling from North wales and wonder if anyone will be going to the south coast from this area/or nearby.

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
You are on the list. But would mid May suit you ? 15th of May ?.

I'm not sure at the moment. It's possible it may be a week late but I should be able to work round it. I'll have a decision by the time you start to firm things up in January. We'd probably only stay two or three days while we look around Garda and go to Verona if that's feasible by public transport but it would be great to get to know some other M/Hers. We used to be yachties and since buying a M/H last February have found the social life amongst motorhomers very limited (well actually zero!)

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
have found the social life amongst motorhomers very limited (well actually zero!)
Cheers,
Mike

Clearly you've not been to a FUN meet.

Since you don't give any details of where you live we can't offer you advice on meets. Edit your personal details, give us an idea of your location and van, that will help. I think you have mentioned it but if you put it in your personal details it's always there to refresh our ailing memories.

I'm firming up on 14th to 24th for Garda, I'm waiting for a reply from them on availability before I post details. They are closed soon so I thought I'd ask now. This then backs up to a meet, should anyone want to, at the Battle of Britain car park outside Dover on Thu 7th for an early Friday sailing.

I don't know whether to suggest 2 or 3 nights in Luzern, it's a fine Swiss city with a big motor museum and entertainment centre right outside the camp gates. 3 gets my vote.

Verona should be no problem at all, as is Venice. Both seem to be bus or train.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
This is such a good idea that we are going to stay in Italy for 3 months.....nip across to the Adriatic Coast & maybe reach Trulli country and then maybe Greece........who knows?:Eeek::Cool::Cool::Cool:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I'm firming up on 14th to 24th for Garda, I'm waiting for a reply from them on availability before I post details. They are closed soon so I thought I'd ask now. This then backs up to a meet, should anyone want to, at the Battle of Britain car park outside Dover on Thu 7th for an early Friday sailing.
I don't know whether to suggest 2 or 3 nights in Luzern, it's a fine Swiss city with a big motor museum and entertainment centre right outside the camp gates. 3 gets my vote.
Verona should be no problem at all, as is Venice. Both seem to be bus or train.

Sounds good to us Brian, can't wait for the off.:thumb:
That's if we can find the Battle of Britain car park.:ROFLMAO:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Lake Garda

Hi, I aim to take a couple of weeks off, as I work full time. and just wondered what dates you suggest to fit in with yourselves? ::bigsmile:

Thanks very much, Sue

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi All,

We are going to Greece about that time, and plan to spend 1 or 2 days in Lake Garda,
Camping Butterfly would be a perfect stopover for us, (unless you take all the availability that is:ROFLMAO:).

Will keep an eye on your plans and if so will meet up for a day or so, depending on Greek Ferries.

Anyone that is going will absolutely love Lake Garda, and those that can take a motorbike you will enjoy it. The boats offer a good ferry service and the train service to Venice and Verona is good from down the road Desenao. The food is brillant, love it all.

If we dont get the opportunity to meet up have a FUN meet.

Kind regards

Pat and Neil

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
There aren't any more details !!

OK I propose we meet at Camping Butterfly on Wed 12th of May 2010.

Possible route from Calais.

Stop 1 Metz 289 miles
site unkown.
Stop 2 Luzern 289 + 245 = 534. Worth two or three nights.
Link Removed
Stop 3 Pechiera 534 + 230 = 764
Link Removed

From here it's easy to get to the many Venice campsites. Or turn north and do more of Garda then Austria and back through Germany. Turn south and Florence and Rome is not far.

Personally I think anything under 300 miles is fine in one day when just en-route but if anyone wants less, no problem, set off earlier.

A good meet to would be Luzern then one 230 mile run to Garda together. Luzern would be reasonable for a run starting St Malo.

Come on, keep talking, we might make this a goer.

Just a thought - the last (and only) time I stopped at Camping International (Oct '08) it was very expensive, and full of gypsies. They lit huge bonfires in the evening and choked everyone with the smoke, and there were sparks flying around the campsite. They were also very noisy until the early hours.

I was glad to leave after only one night!

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just a thought - the last (and only) time I stopped at Camping International (Oct '08) it was very expensive, and full of gypsies. They lit huge bonfires in the evening and choked everyone with the smoke, and there were sparks flying around the campsite. They were also very noisy until the early hours.

I was glad to leave after only one night!

Sure it wasn't a FUN meet ?

Only joking, I'll tell them I've heard bad things ( anonymously ) and what is going on !!

Thanks.

Price, well two or three nights to see a good example of Switzerland I'll live with that.

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi, I aim to take a couple of weeks off, as I work full time. and just wondered what dates you suggest to fit in with yourselves? ::bigsmile:
Thanks very much, Sue

How does this suit Sue ?

Would you or anyone else prefer to cross Sat or Sun to suit time off work ? I don't know if it affects ferry prices at all. I'm happy to nudge it all forwards a couple of days.

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/BRIANH%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS Mincho"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-alt:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@MS Mincho"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:eek:ther; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0mm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.MsoPlainText, li.MsoPlainText, div.MsoPlainText {margin:0mm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Courier New"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> 10 Mon Dover for early ferry<o:p></o:p>
11 Tue Calais to Metz 290mls - longest day.<o:p></o:p>
12 Wed Metz to Luzern 518total/228day<o:p></o:p>
13 Thu Luzern sightsee. <o:p></o:p>
14 Fri Luzern to Garda1 748/230<o:p></o:p>
15 Sat <o:p></o:p>
16 Sun<o:p></o:p>
17 Mon<o:p></o:p>
18 Tue<o:p></o:p>
19 Wed<o:p></o:p>
20 Thu<o:p></o:p>
21 Fri<o:p></o:p>
22 Sat<o:p></o:p>
23 Sun Garda10<o:p></o:p>
24 Mon Garda to ?????<o:p></o:p>
====== end of firm planning<o:p></o:p>
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>
====== possible next direction<o:p></o:p>
24 Mon Garda to Firenza1 898/150<o:p></o:p>
25 Tue Firenza2<o:p></o:p>
26 Wed Firenza3<o:p></o:p>
27 Thu Firenza4<o:p></o:p>
28 Fri Firenza to Pisa 959/61<o:p></o:p>
29 Sat Pisa2 <o:p></o:p>
30 Sun Pisa to San Remo 1151/192<o:p></o:p>
31 Mon<o:p></o:p> Sun and Sand !
01 Tue<o:p></o:p>
03 Thu<o:p></o:p>
04 Fri<o:p></o:p>
05 Sat<o:p></o:p>
06<o:p></o:p>
Campsites.<o:p></o:p>
Reims<o:p></o:p>
Peschiera<o:p></o:p>
Camping Butterfly<o:p></o:p>
Firenza<o:p></o:p>
Pisa <o:p></o:p>
Central Car Park<o:p></o:p>
San Remo<o:p></o:p>
Campeggio Villaggio dei Fiori<o:p></o:p>
Sue - you might have to leave Thurday and reverse the route to get back in time.
That would be:
Thu night Luzern
Fri night Metz/Reims
Sat night Dover

Have you any better ideas ??

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
First reply:

Hello, <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for your interest.<o:p></o:p>
This should be no problem we certainly have plenty of available pitches.<o:p></o:p>
Reservations for the coming year we will take in December.<o:p></o:p>
All other information under www.camping-international.ch <o:p></o:p>
Best Regards, <o:p></o:p>
Iris Achermann<o:p></o:p>
Camping <st1:place w:st="on">Lido</st1:place> Team

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Hi Hildweller
This is looking Good !!
Talked it over with SWMBO and she got quite excited
(note, add brownie points to score)
We have 4/5 weeks avalable so your itinerery looks good
Start and finish dates are flexable for us
We were thinking of useing the Tesco chunnel for the crossing
Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Talked it over with SWMBO and she got quite excited
(note, add brownie points to score)
We were thinking of useing the Tesco chunnel for the crossing
Chrisboyo

Who's a lucky boy then !

Hey, I start charging once brownie points are involved.

You are free to go under it, over it, on it as long as you get to the other side.

We do enjoy the cruise ( usually ) it kicks the holiday off and there's always the game "find the bargain in the shop" to play. Followed by, "why has that prat started his engine before they've even opened the doors".

And shortly afterwards "You should be in that lane". "I know which lane". "Err, where are we going?" "This is the short cut the locals use".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back