It Had To Happen One Day

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
Well it had to happened the glass cover on our gas hob was put down whilst one of the rings was still on low. We had left the van for a short walk and when we got back there was glass everywhere, the cover had literally exploded. I am just glad we were not driving or sat in the van when it happened.

Now the problem I have spent the rest of the day trawling the internet but cannot find a replacement. Can any of you good people offer any ideas. It's a Dometic three ringed hob with combined sink unit and about 12 years old. I believe the model is EK 2000 Variant CE 1353. I have attached phots of the unit and model number.

Many Thanks

IMG_3841.JPGIMG_3842.JPGIMG_3843.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 41

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hope you can get a replacement, we nearly done that once but fortunately noticed the gas was on low, so I got my artists paints out put a small white blob on all the off switches makes it so much easier to see it's switched off properly.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I bought a rectangle of aluminium, cut to size, from somewhere on the internet. Then rounded the corners with a jigsaw and file, drilled holes for the hinges, and a finger hole too. I made sure it was exactly the same thickness as the original glass. Since aluminium is about the same density as glass, the new lid is about the same weight as the old one.

I think a glass hob cover is a bad idea, and I regard the aluminium replacement as an upgrade.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry to the OP, shocking news, glad you were out of the van, but its not good enough is it?
Some domestic hobs had a safety feature in that the hob burner would not receive gas until the hob lid had been lifted, some lids were glass also. I cannot see why this safety feature has not been a safety requirement for all gas hobs with glass lids in any home or a leisure Van. After all they are expensive enough are they not!
We also have a two piece funny shaped glass lid on our vans hob, it looks expensive with its cast iron pan supports, I always assumed it had the aforementioned safety feature, but I will def check next time I am in the van.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just wondering why thay can't fit sumthing to cut off gas to hob when lid gets closed
Bill

Colino

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
OP
OP
theapples
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
If you can make a template ,your local glass supplier can usually make one for you and have it toughened.cheaper than a proper one
Thanks. Sounds a good idea hadn’t thought of that. Will visit one when we get home next week.

OP
OP
theapples
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low-profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010

Unfortunately wrong size but thanks for trying.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back