Is this within the lockdown law? (1 Viewer)

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
How do people define local?, if you live out in the sticks and the nearest shop was five miles away I'd class that as local to my home, if you live in a town/city I would class half a mile as local. Someone needs to put a figure on it like in Ireland where local is no further than 5km from your home.

And why they are at it work out what is guidance and what is law because it seems the police don't understand the difference.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Re the two girls in Derbyshire, seemingly the police said they were having a picnic because each girl was carrying a cup of coffee, so therefor were not there for exercise

suedee100

Free Member
Aug 11, 2019
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
looking now
Exp
since 1997
It is all difficult. I believe (most) people are understanding the need to avoid exposing ourselves and others to infection and bring down the virus.. but the rules ARE unclear and folks genuinely trying to get it right are getting into trouble unwittingly while it is clear there seem to be some people who are ignoring some/any rules. I do think the media may be over reporting the latter though, which is not helpful. I would add, we sold our big car & larger campervan and bought a small campervan as our only vehicle last autumn as it just made sense - we are in 70+ vulnerable group so even a trip out for a walk (when allowed) will always be safer with all our own facilities even if we don't camp overnight. However with lockdown3 we are now concerned we might be pulled over even for making a trip for medical reasons as just being in a camper could be misinterpreted.. so I do I therefore think a definitive list of what is allowed when and by whom would be helpful. However - bear in mind even that could all change by the next day..
Best wishes to everyone on here who enjoys the outdoors and just wants to keep on top of all this & enjoy the outdoors properly again as soon as possible :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Common sense kicks in for some - we know what the spirit of what’s being asked of us and individually need to take our own responsibility rather than try a get around what the laws are.
The two girls got so much publicity at they are good looking - interesting both their parents seem to have had Covid.
But common sense is a variable commodity and hardly a good measure to base a £200 fine on.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Re the two girls in Derbyshire, seemingly the police said they were having a picnic because each girl was carrying a cup of coffee, so therefor were not there for exercise
That supports my point about conflating law and guidance, there is absolutely no reference to picnics in the legislation. To extend the point, I may be jogging to work (very unlikely I must admit) but if I have my lunch box and flask with me does that become a picnic! Almost every jogger I see is grasping a bottle of water (don't know why as the risk of dehydration is a bit slim on a routine jog). I am still of the opinion that unless there is more to the story than we have been told the FPNs will be binned. It is not the first time Derbyshire police have overstepped the mark and it unfortunately undermines all the good work done elsewhere.

Jun 5, 2020
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I 414
Exp
4 years, travelling to Greece each year and exploring on the way and back
We had to travel through France a few weeks ago as we had sold our house and we're coming back to UK. As well as printing off reams of attestations I put a sign in each window saying that we were moving house.
We came back to the UK on the 23rd December. Had no trouble through Greece, Italy, Switzerland and France and had absolutely no negative reactions from anyone, anywhere, just helpfulness and friendliness. Until we got to the UK. Driving home on the M27 and not far from our home in the New Forest we were verbally abused twice, with both drivers pulling alongside, swearing and gesticulating very aggressively, swerving in front of us in what can only be described as classic road rage behaviour. Felt like turning round and heading back to the ferry, only all routes out of the UK back across the channel were closed! Having been caught in lock down in Greece on our boat, we have arrived back a month later than plan and then did our 10 days quarantine, during which time the MOTs on both our other vehicles have have run out! So until we get them through, our only legal vehicle is our motor home.....wish us luck!!!!

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I had an appointment booked at a Rollerteam main dealer which is 175 miles from my home. This was to complete some warranty work and also a habitation check. I deemed this non essential. Was I wrong?
There isn't really a right or wrong as 'essential' is subjective.

However in my view you made a good decision

Jul 2, 2019
doncaster
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Surely maintenance and repair is classed as essential otherwise garages and places like b&q would not be allowed to open?

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Its been interesting reading the responses to my opening thread.

So, after much researching, the following applies.

You are allowed to leave home for the following.........

1) Garages are open for business for service, MOT and repair.

2) It is reasonably necessary to “buy goods or obtain services from” businesses that remain open, (Gov.UK).

No definition of 'reasonably necessary' but I have waited since September to get the repairs done. I would like to sell the van but without the necessary repairs, I can not raise funds.

Thanks for the suggestion 'will the garage collect', I will find out Monday.

In the meantime, unless things change, I intend to travel for the repairs.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Following this thread with interest.
We live in Bath and our MH has been in Weston S Mere for some time having various jobs done. It's currently sitting in a storage site as a favour but not stored there officially and we have a good space at home so I'm keen to collect.
However I am trying to be careful and not breach the rules or their spirit so agonising over how and when to get it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Our dealer, Chelston Motorhomes, has closed all their departments. They say they are classed as a leisure industry and therefore not covered by the exemptions.

Kozikot

Free Member
Nov 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Newbie ish...
Its been interesting reading the responses to my opening thread.

So, after much researching, the following applies.

You are allowed to leave home for the following.........

1) Garages are open for business for service, MOT and repair.

2) It is reasonably necessary to “buy goods or obtain services from” businesses that remain open, (Gov.UK).

No definition of 'reasonably necessary' but I have waited since September to get the repairs done. I would like to sell the van but without the necessary repairs, I can not raise funds.

Thanks for the suggestion 'will the garage collect', I will find out Monday.

In the meantime, unless things change, I intend to travel for the repairs.
But how will you be able to sell it ? Travel Restrictions probably until after Easter... Apparently...

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Many of those 'exercising' never did any before the restrictions.
That is true I am sure, people are cooped up inside so the only outside fresh air they can get is when they go for exercise, we see a lot more people when we are out and indeed we are walking more than we were pre pandemic.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It`s suprising how many people are adamant they are comforming with all covid restrictions and are critical of others who they see as breaking them.
Then they go on to tell you how they are redecorating for something to do during lockdown and just off to B&Q for the paint :doh: :doh::doh:
BTW, I`m probably as guilty as anyone (but without being critical of others), but some people just don`t see it

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Almost every jogger I see is grasping a bottle of water (don't know why as the risk of dehydration is a bit slim on a routine jog)
Slight tangent?
Hydrating during prolonged exercise is recommended now a days.

Not so much in the 80's. I know when I first started running hydrating was only a pre & post exercise 'thing'. - Certainly the case for those just running for exercise. The elite athletes maybe gave it more thought.

When it came to running a half marathon & I did think to take on liquid from the course marshals, I nearly drowned myself as I had never tried to run & drink on training runs to practise this. :doh:

There became lots more watering stations around event courses too.

Anyway, with out knowing how far the joggers you observed planned to run, running with a bottle is normal now.
I retired from running - twice!! not because I refuse to run with a bottle :p
I think I've time to explain why I retired twice but now its way off topic.
After training for and running nine half marathons I said that's enough.
But NINE? Who stops on that odd number. So I entered a 10th event. Trained well, achieved the PB I'd always hoped for, then haven't ran since (as an exercise!).
Just cycling and hiking now.

Freebird36

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
We traded in our motorhome and bought another from a local caravan retailer in November. After using it for a short trip, we had problems and took it back for repair at the end of December. We were due to collect it on the 2nd January but, when the current lockdown was announced, the firm contacted us and said we couldn't collect it as the company was going into lockdown immediately. It has been on their site since and goodness knows when the lockdown will end and we will be able to collect it. Does anyone know if the company is legally within its rights to keep our vehicle. I know that at least one employee has been on site during this time.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Does anyone know if the company is legally within its rights to keep our vehicle. I know that at least one employee has been on site during this time.

Seems like the company are doing things right. Essential journeys only. Hopefully you'll be driving her soon (y)

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We traded in our motorhome and bought another from a local caravan retailer in November. After using it for a short trip, we had problems and took it back for repair at the end of December. We were due to collect it on the 2nd January but, when the current lockdown was announced, the firm contacted us and said we couldn't collect it as the company was going into lockdown immediately. It has been on their site since and goodness knows when the lockdown will end and we will be able to collect it. Does anyone know if the company is legally within its rights to keep our vehicle. I know that at least one employee has been on site during this time.
Just hope he doesn't go bust whilst he has your van o_O

Freebird36

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Despite the fact that we have paid them for it, but are unable to drive it? It's a van conversion so we were going to use it for trips to the supermarket (essential).

Freebird36

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
They're a fairly large, well established concern so hopefully they won't go bust. If they do, we have the ownership documents. I think they just that, as caravan and motorhome sales are 'dead' at the moment, they couldn't wait to get their staff onto furlough!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
With regard to garages and MOT, if you are shielding (as I am), you are advised to SORN your car if you need the MOT for car tax purposes. Then get the MOT after shielding finishes. Found on the government's website re MOTs and Covid
only an option if you have the luxury of off road parking

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
ethically they are doing the right thing ,legally unless you owe money on the van i doubt they can keep it

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
I don't consider if its legal or not I try and use a bit of common sense, after all you are not just risking your own health/life but that of anyone you come into close contact with

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I don't consider if its legal or not I try and use a bit of common sense, after all you are not just risking your own health/life but that of anyone you come into close contact with
You’ll be lucky ’Common sense’ was lost at the first lockdown, indignation, jealousy and Fear overrides common sense🥴 with many people

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
How do people define local?, if you live out in the sticks and the nearest shop was five miles away I'd class that as local to my home, if you live in a town/city I would class half a mile as local. Someone needs to put a figure on it like in Ireland where local is no further than 5km from your home.

And why they are at it work out what is guidance and what is law because it seems the police don't understand the difference.
I live in Mansfield Notts and had an operation in Warwick General, they gave me a local anesthetic,
My question is? Was that from Mansfield or Warwick?
Puzzled Geo

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
You’ll be lucky ’Common sense’ was lost at the first lockdown, indignation, jealousy and Fear overrides common sense🥴 with many people
I think its just selfish

All they want is 'me me me me me me' and 'fluff' everyone else

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back