Is this within the lockdown law? (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I wouldn't worry about it. A town Councillor in Swaffham got reported for going out for a walk without a mask on through the town, even though she had tested positive for covid, and Norfolk & Suffolk Police "spoke to her" about it :wasntme: and there is the OP concerned about doing the right thing as we all should?

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
With regard to garages and MOT, if you are shielding (as I am), you are advised to SORN your car if you need the MOT for car tax purposes. Then get the MOT after shielding finishes. Found on the government's website re MOTs and Covid
You can't do that if it is parked on a public road.

2x2camper

Free Member
Oct 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Garages are open for repairs to essential / key workers vehicles.
They have just stretched things to include everyones vehicles.
If you have a booking then I'd go along with it, in fact my car is booked in Monday 👍🏻
If garage don't open there will be a lot of people on furlough and it won't just be the mechanics.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 19, 2013
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Who took the photo of the two of them? Didn’t they say only the two of them had met? Who was the third person? Surrounded by Police? I’d like to see the the police officers individual video recording of that incident to see how much it corresponds to their account. I feel really sorry for them. NOT!!!

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Perhaps they were looking for a new partner?!!!

Cheers James

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Are you talking from the point of view of someone on furlough, or has a tidy pension you paid into. Or are you talking from the view of someone on low pay who simply can't afford to isolate, I've heard the, isolate or catch/pass on Covid, I've also heard people can't afford to pay their rent or feed the family. It's hardly surprising people aren't following the rules
Hi Eggs, I’m talking from the point of view of someone who has lost a brother to this Covid thing, I did not intend my comments to be upsetting to anyone,,it’s just my opinion,,after all we all have them...

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I have my own feelings here,I totally understand all the funsters different views:however,if it’s the law,don’t break it,the reason we are here now it that most of the stupid people in this country decided to do their own thing, and hav,e a happy party at every given moment,,,,I understand that some are young,I understand that people are pissed off,,,,but if this is not contained,,,a LOT of more people will die,,,,it’s really not a difficult choice is it?
You are confusing having a party with going for repairs....who mentioned having a party

You sound very frightened or very disconnected suggest you stay home until it passes

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Garages are open for service and repairs. I've been waiting for months for parts for some accident damage. Yesterday I had a call from the garage to bring the motorhome so they can complete the repair. Its not minor repair as it involves insurance claim.

I think its essential travel as I need to have the repair done so that I can sell the vehicle.

The garage is following covid guidelines and seems safe to go. You have a slot of time to drop off the vehicle and no one else is allowed to enter the building during the slot time.

After the 2 girls got fined, I'm a bit worried about travelling 15 miles to the garage.

Any thoughts?
You would not be breaking the law.

As is often the case it comes down to your conscience and whether you think it is really essential or not.

Your tone suggests you don't as you could do it later.

No one can really help with such decisions but you.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
You are confusing having a party with going for repairs....who mentioned having a party

You sound very frightened or very disconnected suggest you stay home until it passes
That's very well put.(y)

Nov 15, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail V-Line
Exp
Since 2009
The keyword here is 'essential'.

Driving a Motorhome at present is likely to attract attention. If you get stopped by the boys in blue, would you be able to convince them that your journey is essential?

My opinion - I would stay at home.

GazzaHazza

Free Member
Sep 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I had an appointment booked at a Rollerteam main dealer which is 175 miles from my home. This was to complete some warranty work and also a habitation check. I deemed this non essential. Was I wrong?

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.

All posts tend to meander a bit,I was simply giving my opinion on the entire situation,,I’m not disconnected,in fact I’m very connected,and yes I’m am frightened,,death seems to do that to some people,,,strange that....

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
All posts tend to meander a bit,I was simply giving my opinion on the entire situation,,I’m not disconnected,in fact I’m very connected,and yes I’m am frightened,,death seems to do that to some people,,,strange that....
Appreciate that you are in Dartford and affected by it more than a lot

as a serious question, the total infections in your area are just over 7000 since march, yet almost 3500 of thise have been recorded in last THREE WEEKS
What has been going on ??

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Appreciate that you are in Dartford and affected by it more than a lot

as a serious question, the total infections in your area are just over 7000 since march, yet almost 3500 of thise have been recorded in last THREE WEEKS
God only knows,,lack of personal discipline I suppose

Apr 7, 2008
Garstang, Lancashire, UK.
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RB
Exp
Since 1968.
We had to travel through France a few weeks ago as we had sold our house and we're coming back to UK. As well as printing off reams of attestations I put a sign in each window saying that we were moving house.
We know that feeling only too well. We have had a home over in Span for sale for some time. December 1st 2020 we were informed an offer which was acceptable had been made and so we needed to be at the Notaries Office in person on December 14th 2020 to complete. Rush rush rush, no dog friendly cabins available, we have 'Effie the effin' dog' and so booked the Tunnel We left home here in lush Lancashire on the 5th December and did the Tunnel on the 6th. That very lovely Mr Macron decided all French Campsites had to be closed!!!!! Now, we have only been doing this caravan/motorhoming lark since 1968 and thought we knew a thing or three........I guess we learned more in the days travelling to and fro this time than we have ever done. We signed all the necessary documents on the 14th December but then had to hang around until the money cleared and was tucked away in our bank which took until the Friday. We left Spain on the 19th December and took it really easy, and I mean really easy up to Ouistreham for the 2330 ferry on December 23rd. Oh what joy we had finding suitable stopping off points. And the looks we got from the locals. Plus the mutterings. Anyroadup, we arrived home on Christmas Eve and fingers crossed will never set foot in France ever again, at seventy six years young we'll now concentrate on the wonders of the UK. Happy New Year Everyone.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Exponential growth. Explosive growth rates. The same equations as explosions. It's literally how explosions work.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
But Manchester has 38000 since March but ”only” 4000 or so in the last 3 weeks

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I had an appointment booked at a Rollerteam main dealer which is 175 miles from my home. This was to complete some warranty work and also a habitation check. I deemed this non essential. Was I wrong?
The argument for it being essential could be made in that it is for emergency habitation should someone within the family need to isolate or you are lending it to a family who are isolating away from a vulnerable person.

The argument for it being non essential is much easier to make !

Sep 22, 2009
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Perfectly legal to have work done,as you have an appointment.
Have a relative who works in a garage, there seems to be a representative there at least daily to check that they are confirming with the rules

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
What is allowed is unclear, unlike some.othwr countries we have been left to make up our own minds. I am using common sense, I deemed it nesecery to drive a round trip of 3 miles to go for a walk. I also drove to the petrol station to filll the car up, the only other trip was to take FIL for his Covid vaccination. I did take the car for a service and MOT at the end of December, and caught the bus back. These are the only risks I'm taking. The rules do allow this and more but it's up to the individual to work out their own risks. It would be easier if we had everything in black and white but that's not the British way.
It's a bit like the rules on euthanasia where we are informed "we won't tell you what the rules are, but if you break them we will be prosecute you"

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
I have a booked appointment for next week to take motorhome to have a leak fixed !
It is leaking at toilet window and part of the inner roof now sagging, all needs replacing.
I am covered with a warranty but that expires in March so it is getting fixed before it runs out.
Problem is that the guy who is actually doing the repair (BTW Insurance approved) is in Falkirk some 60 miles from our house !
This throws up other problem as our son will have to follow us in the car to bring us home as there is no direct public transport.
To use that it would take many hours and changes by buses and or a train so thats not going to happen.
I will never allow our motorhome to get any worse re the damp so off we go and if stopped will tell police the where and why but if given any fine will obviously appeal it and will not pay anything ! !

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i think the problem is there is no definition of local our local park is rammed so weve been walking the dogs around the streets we have a big forest 3 miles away but im not sure if its right to drive there

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
The problem seems to be that much of it is guidance rather than law especially around travelling for exercise etc and people are genuinely confused hence the questions,
Common sense kicks in for some - we know what the spirit of what’s being asked of us and individually need to take our own responsibility rather than try a get around what the laws are.
The two girls got so much publicity at they are good looking - interesting both their parents seem to have had Covid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back