Is this within the lockdown law? (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
Garages are open for service and repairs. I've been waiting for months for parts for some accident damage. Yesterday I had a call from the garage to bring the motorhome so they can complete the repair. Its not minor repair as it involves insurance claim.

I think its essential travel as I need to have the repair done so that I can sell the vehicle.

The garage is following covid guidelines and seems safe to go. You have a slot of time to drop off the vehicle and no one else is allowed to enter the building during the slot time.

After the 2 girls got fined, I'm a bit worried about travelling 15 miles to the garage.

Any thoughts?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
The way I read it is it isn’t essential, not for food/ Medical or to offer support to someone in need, so for the time being it isn’t essential,

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
That's reassuring to know. I plan to put signs in the windows, "NOT TOURING. GOING FOR GARAGE REPAIRS"

I can imagine there could be some mis understandings seeing a motorhome travelling around Cornwall!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
After the 2 girls got fined, I'm a bit worried about travelling 15 miles to the garage.
It's quite obvious what your problem is. Every time you read something about the regulations you get a different interpretation of what you are allowed to do. We're told that the regulations are perfectly clear, so obviously there must be something wrong with your eyes. I think a short 15-mile drive in the open air might help you decide if any further treatment is necessary or not.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
It's quite obvious what your problem is. Every time you read something about the regulations you get a different interpretation of what you are allowed to do. We're told that the regulations are perfectly clear, so obviously there must be something wrong with your eyes. I think a short 15-mile drive in the open air might help you decide if any further treatment is necessary or not.
I think you have to be a government adviser to use that excuse.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I would go, you have a appointment and it’s an insurance job. The garage is following Covid rules etc and being as safe as they can and so will you. (y) If you miss this appointment you may have trouble getting another and not be able to use your motorhome when things are better.
The trouble with peaple when they see a motorhome out and about now they don’t know the full story. Too quick to judge. Some peaple might use it to go shopping one week so it gets a run and they get there shopping, there are no rules to say you cant go shopping in a motorhome. Taking it for an mot etc.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
The regulations are a balance. It is safe to work solo on vehicles in a workshop and therefore no point in shutting them and paying furlough and risking job losses and business going down the pan.

That’s why they are allowed to be open and IMO you should take precautions and get it sorted.

I am a big fan of lockdown, it’s the only thing that has worked so far. However I also feel for all those businesses that are closing and struggling and if it can be done in a safe way, they should be supported by being used.

I am just about to squeeze under my car in the lovely warm weather to change some sensors that have thrown up fault codes. The garage might be a better option than the ice on the floor. 😬

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
There are ways it can be done if you are not comfortable with driving it during tier 4. My motorhome home is presently at the dealers for a water ingress on the high level brake light. Also having a solar panel fitted. It was all booked for 7th Jan. I was originally going to take it but due to the tier 4 the dealer suggested due to no customers being allowed on the premises they would collect it from the our storage and return it after completion. Its due back on Monday.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Get the garage to collect the vehicle. They can put the bill on the claim and the insurance company will pay

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
A couple of our tenants who have car sales sites also have workshops so during the lockdown November and now they are keeping the workshops open and not the sales side ( would you want to do a demo drive with a possible Covid case )

From last March through to July we gave them a rent free period as I wanted them to survive, now as the workshops are operational I reduced their rent by 50%. I am lucky to be in a position that we can afford to do this to help, it will keep our tax bill down a bit as well.
This has helped them keep their labour costs down and I have noticed that they have quite a few BMW/Audi’s being serviced obviously the owners are not going to the main/larger service centres that charge £100+ an hour.

I did suggest the collection idea but that would entail two drivers or using the car transporters, loading and unloading, de “ Coviding “ double times. They are at ease doing a vehicle when it arrives and when it’s collected.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Garages are open for service and repairs. I've been waiting for months for parts for some accident damage. Yesterday I had a call from the garage to bring the motorhome so they can complete the repair. Its not minor repair as it involves insurance claim.

I think its essential travel as I need to have the repair done so that I can sell the vehicle.

The garage is following covid guidelines and seems safe to go. You have a slot of time to drop off the vehicle and no one else is allowed to enter the building during the slot time.

Any thoughts?
There is a car tuning garage accross the road from me.

the dint do any essential work. They simply add ridiculously loud exhausts that back fire.

rolling road going all week. Street races. They have just had a firework fight. Throwing bangers and firecrackers at each other.

the police have attended in the last lockdown and they just claim its essential mot prep.

utter 8ullshit

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
When is local local. In my view 15mile is local enough . In march i will have to travel 3 miles for my first mot, no problem there, but 150miles for a Rapido hab damp test for warranty, pherhaps not.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
There is nothing in the Covid lockdown rules which prevent a trip for repairs, MOT etc. (As is listed at S17 of the legislation)The term used is 'reasonably necessary', the confusion arises with the mixing of 'guidance' and law.

As for the two poor girls in Derbyshire they will undoubtedly heve their tickets binned as no offences were committed, once again Derbyshire police appearing to confuse law with guidance. The traffic Commissioners have their own definition for 'local' when it comes to fixing public service vehicle routes and it refers to a 15 mile radius, perhaps one government body could consult with another! The communication aspects of the Covid restrictions have been consistently vague and woolly leading to the constant battle for compliance. In reality it does not matter what figure they choose, whether it be 50 miles or 50 yards at least there is a defintive aspect which leaves the issue of compliance in more black and white terms, you are either local or not as a question of fact not open to individual interpretation.

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
I have my own feelings here,I totally understand all the funsters different views:however,if it’s the law,don’t break it,the reason we are here now it that most of the stupid people in this country decided to do their own thing, and hav,e a happy party at every given moment,,,,I understand that some are young,I understand that people are pissed off,,,,but if this is not contained,,,a LOT of more people will die,,,,it’s really not a difficult choice is it?

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
I have my own feelings here,I totally understand all the funsters different views:however,if it’s the law,don’t break it,the reason we are here now it that most of the stupid people in this country decided to do their own thing, and hav,e a happy party at every given moment,,,,I understand that some are young,I understand that people are pissed off,,,,but if this is not contained,,,a LOT of more people will die,,,,it’s really not a difficult choice is it?
Are you talking from the point of view of someone on furlough, or has a tidy pension you paid into. Or are you talking from the view of someone on low pay who simply can't afford to isolate, I've heard the, isolate or catch/pass on Covid, I've also heard people can't afford to pay their rent or feed the family. It's hardly surprising people aren't following the rules

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The problem seems to be that much of it is guidance rather than law especially around travelling for exercise etc and people are genuinely confused hence the questions,

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
With regard to garages and MOT, if you are shielding (as I am), you are advised to SORN your car if you need the MOT for car tax purposes. Then get the MOT after shielding finishes. Found on the government's website re MOTs and Covid

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We had to travel through France a few weeks ago as we had sold our house and we're coming back to UK. As well as printing off reams of attestations I put a sign in each window saying that we were moving house.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back