Idling Engine Illegal....Do you do it ?? (1 Viewer)

Do you idle in traffic

• Yes in mohome

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • No in mohome

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Yes in car

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • No in car

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cant speak for any other vehicle. BUT. The Nissan Quasqui (never could spell it!) has a switch under the bonnet which when the bonnet is open allows the engine to be run, necessary for maintenance purposes. IF you unscrew said switch and tape it out of the way, the stop/start/ no longer operates.:giggler::devil:

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Funny engine running is the big cause of pollution, but flying around in private jets telling people to stop polluting or going on holiday is ok.

:)

War is the biggest polluter, the US Military is officially the planets largest source of pollution.

When sweet girls accost me in town (as they did last week) to ask me if I care about the environment I have to answer 'no' with a smile, because some people will never understand that blowing apart Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria and Yemen for lies, greed and conquest will always be a bigger problem for the world than my choice of transport to potter around Europe in.

Poisoning our crops with Roundup and neonicotinoid pesticides doesn't do us much good either

Also CO2 isn't a pollutant of course, it's a useful gas essential for plant growth and has no connection to climate, despite what the naively ignorant may believe - but its a great distraction from the real pollution and keeps young minds usefully focussed in entirely the wrong direction.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Could this be the end of the Genny, ?

Eric.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
They could make a killing on the vehicles queuing for the Dartford Tunnel. The other week it took an hour to cover 6 miles to the Tunnel, usually we only queue for 4 miles!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

War is the biggest polluter, the US Military is officially the planets largest source of pollution.

When sweet girls accost me in town (as they did last week) to ask me if I care about the environment I have to answer 'no' with a smile, because some people will never understand that blowing apart Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Syria and Yemen for lies, greed and conquest will always be a bigger problem for the world than my choice of transport to potter around Europe in.

Poisoning our crops with Roundup and neonicotinoid pesticides doesn't do us much good either

Also CO2 isn't a pollutant of course, it's a useful gas essential for plant growth and has no connection to climate, despite what the naively ignorant may believe - but its a great distraction from the real pollution and keeps young minds usefully focussed in entirely the wrong direction.

No surely not, they told me it was my wood burning stove last year. Haha

• Funny
Reactions: GPW

HelenMalc2019

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
This post has brought several points up. There is no need to let an engine cool down for 10 minutes, you are only needed to let the turbo spin down before cutting off the pumped oil supply, a minute maximum, probably 30 seconds, most vehicles also have thermostatic or electric cooling fans which continue when the engine stops.

In Austria and Switzerland the people of the local area will report idling, but normally just bang on your window if you are sat at traffic lights waiting for green. It has always been illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running, unless the engine is needed to drive ancillary equipment, winch, Hiab, crane, fridge, etc.

Do not worry about harming the local car wash operators when nudging up the queue, the Bulgarians and Albanians have much worse pollution than here in the UK. ;)

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Before retirement putting a cold engine to work or shutting down a hot engine was one of the few sackable offences in my yard. I never shut down a hot engine, one of the reasons I have never had an engine go down, even after many hundreds of thousands of miles.
Same here in the heavy earthmoving profession, we have lights to give us a safe indication of shutdown, in the old days it was a 5 Minute rule on Caterpillar engines!!
Only lost 1 engine and that was a Detroit Diesel two stroke engine in the back of a Terex TS24 motorscraper, cause...over revving.... a Jimmy two stroke?? imagine that??

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Rumour has it that eco switch-off will be standard on the new 2020 Ducato.

I've never had this feature before and if I get one of those 2020 Euro 6Ds will look for ways to disable it. I only switch off when it is bleeding obvious that there is a long wait in a stationary queue such as at a railway level crossing or bridge swing.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This post has brought several points up. There is no need to let an engine cool down for 10 minutes, you are only needed to let the turbo spin down before cutting off the pumped oil supply, a minute maximum, probably 30 seconds, most vehicles also have thermostatic or electric cooling fans which continue when the engine stops.

In Austria and Switzerland the people of the local area will report idling, but normally just bang on your window if you are sat at traffic lights waiting for green. It has always been illegal to leave an unattended vehicle running, unless the engine is needed to drive ancillary equipment, winch, Hiab, crane, fridge, etc.

Do not worry about harming the local car wash operators when nudging up the queue, the Bulgarians and Albanians have much worse pollution than here in the UK. ;)

An electric cooling fan running after the engine is shut down is of little use cooling wise if the pump is not running to circulate the cooling water. All an electric fan will do is cool the water in the radiator. The engine heat will not be affected.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There is no need to let an engine cool down for 10 minutes, you are only needed to let the turbo spin down before cutting off the pumped oil supply, a minute maximum, probably 30 seconds, most vehicles also have thermostatic or electric cooling fans which continue when the engine stops.

turbo.png

HelenMalc2019

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hiring
Exp
Steel can stand high temperatures, the engine will actually get hotter when it stops with the stored heat, (energy) like a coffee percolator, or an egg, it keeps cooking! The cooling fan cools the water in the radiator, many of which are plastic now, the old ones were soldered. The fan blows cooler air around the engine compartment which may help a little. I agree that coolant is not pumped once the engine stops turning, but it takes about 1400'C to boil steel, it takes 100'C to boil water. Antifreeze on the road kills cats too.

Deleted User
There is no need to let an engine cool down for 10 minutes, you are only needed to let the turbo spin down before cutting off the pumped oil supply, a minute maximum,

I used to run a Ford D Series truck, lovely turbo engine sweet as a nut until an idiot driver screamed it to Middlesborough on a hot day, switched off straight away and dropped a valve seat, made somewhat of a mess of the piston.
Turbo's aren't the only parts that need to cool down.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i can see the court challenges now, some busybody filming me and reporting me in an attempt to interfere with my peaceful enjoyment of my human rights. could be a good earner and kick in the arse to the busybody when it costs them more than they could ever hope to earn

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I have been asked to turn off an idling engine on 2 occasions in Germany.

Since then a big HGV tipper truck came into the village to buy his lunch and then sat there with the engine idling whilst he started to eat it, belching out diesel fumes. I went and asked him to turn it off to stop the fumes which he happily did.

Jul 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Conc. Charisma 880F
Exp
Zero....
This "Eco" Global warming idiocy has gone too far. The PIDDLING contribution of the UK, as opposed to Russia, China, India, Philippines et-al. not to mention the South Americans Burning an area the size of Wales every day?.
As you have mentioned the Philippines - most of us have private drivers too - I have yet to see a driver turn off the engine when waiting for "sir/ma'am" and that might mean 3 hours with engine running outside restaurants etc...

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My car has stopstart and Im quite happy with it. Can pull off straight away and restarts if the interior starts to warm up due to aircon being off.It will not stop the engine for more than around 5mins and also restarts if the battery needs a charge.
The motorhome has a turbo and has to be restarted manually so dont turn that off in traffic, but do when parked.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987

Oh no.....not another conspiracy theory.......

Using examples of others polluting the planet is no excuse for not doing your bit.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
It’s been an offence to leave your engine idling, in France, since 1963 but only recently are they starting to enforce this. Belgium is now going to start prosecute people for this.
Of course, you can argue your case with the Police that you think it’s ok for you to pollute the atmosphere........

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Using examples of others polluting the planet is no excuse for not doing your bit.

OH! Yes it is!. All these Eco-snowflakes should be lobbying in Beijing or Red Square. NOT throwing a spanner in the works HERE!!. When the`ve done a decent days work. Maybe they might be worth listening to.

Loveshack

Free Member
Feb 16, 2019
Funster No
The report I watched led me to believe it was specifically idling in traffic.
Well the report I listened to on BBC Radio 2 or 4 this morning at about 8am led me to believe that it was applying to vehicles parked, like outside schools etc, not stopped in stop-start traffic, I.e. congestion. This makes sense I think.
Some years ago in a hire car in Germany I was stopped at a railway level crossing and a passing pedestrian indicated to me that I should switch engine off, which I did.
And I don’t consider myself to be an Eco-Snoflake.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
A conspiracy theory? Maybe a conspiracy if you like: but not a theory.
As you appear to be a believer in AGW you are probably a non-scientist, so I'll make it simple:

1) Beers Law. The Beer-Lambert law states bascially that if you paint something that is already black, black, it doesn't matter how much you paint it because it's still black.
The CO2 in the atmosphere already filters out ALL the IR it is capable of. Adding twice as much, ten times as much has the same effect: It's all filtered.
Beers law therefore states that CO2 increase is IRRELEVANT. This is basic physics.

2. Clouds: Clouds account for around 2/3rds of the earth albedo: More cloud = more solar energy reflected = cooler earth. Less cloud = more sun = hotter earth. The IPCC in their AR4 paper (Read it please) guesses the total albedo to be between 0.30 and 0.33 of earth.
A 1% albedo change is the total amount of 'forcing' predicted by the IPCC within certain error conditions. Because climate scientists cannot and do not predict cloud movements they do not and cannot predict how much solar energy reaches the earth, therefore their models cannot and do not work.

Over the past 20 odd years of AGW scaremongering 98% of their models have been WRONG. Please feel free to discuss the physics behind AGW with me, it's an interesting subject that I have looked into and feel qualified to comment upon, without or without your fear of the phrase 'conspiracy theory' which many people use to proclaim "There have never been any cospiracies". Guy Fawkes and Bernie Madoff would agree with you BTW LOL ;)

But what is my 'bit'? If the major problem is WAR then surely my 'bit' is to point out these illegal, immoral, polluting wars - is it not? Is awareness of a problem not the first step in curing it?

So it appears that I am ALREADY doing my bit, thank-you for noticing!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They could make a killing on the vehicles queuing for the Dartford Tunnel. The other week it took an hour to cover 6 miles to the Tunnel, usually we only queue for 4 miles!
6miles and 45minutes today!!!
you are only needed to let the turbo spin down before cutting off the pumped oil supply, a minute maximum, probably 30 seconds, most vehicles also have thermostat
So why did my CSR have a sticker stating 2minutes minimum?
most vehicles also have thermostatic or electric cooling fans which continue when the engine stops.
Useless without pump circulation.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well the report I listened to on BBC Radio 2 or 4 this morning at about 8am led me to believe that it was applying to vehicles parked, like outside schools etc, not stopped in stop-start traffic, I.e. congestion. This makes sense I think.
Some years ago in a hire car in Germany I was stopped at a railway level crossing and a passing pedestrian indicated to me that I should switch engine off, which I did.

Fine, I watched the tv report which led me to my opinion.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

Sadly, they don`t either. They think they are "Eco-warriors". However they pick on the "easy targets". the ones who either won`t fight back. OR are (Like us in the UK) too browbeaten by P-C to stand and tell them that they have the WRONG targets. As you can tell I am a real Sceptic over so called global warming being the FAULT of mans occupancy of the planet. But it is a great idea to hang further TAXATION and try and control the mass population. We curently have George Orwell's "1984" being instituted, just 27 years late.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back