Idling Engine Illegal....Do you do it ?? (1 Viewer)

Do you idle in traffic

• Yes in mohome

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • No in mohome

Votes: 25 33.3%
  • Yes in car

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • No in car

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Reported this morning that it will be considered to offer percentage of idling fines to be passed to those reporting offence with evidence, this already happens in the USA.

Do you switch off every time as motorhomes afaik don’t have eco switching.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Depends how long the hold up is likely to be. Yes at a m/way hold-up or at a railway crossing, no at traffic lights .
It's a question of individual judgement as to how long the hold up will be. Like so many daft new laws who's going to enforce it? Whenever I've seen a copper they've had more priorities than worrying about an engine idling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Depends how long the hold up will be. Yes at a m/way hold-up or at a railway crossing, no at traffic lights.
Like so many daft new laws, who's going to enforce it? I've never seen a copper when I've been in a queue (and rarely anywhere else in the streets or on the road).

The suggestion is that it would be reported by vigilante members of the public who would receive a percentage of any fines as encouragement.

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I always turn my engine off at the hand car wash, even though you have to move forward every few minutes for the wash, wax then dry. All those workers are heading for respiratory problems in the future, breathing in fumes all day.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
The suggestion is that it would be reported by vigilante members of the public who would receive a percentage of any fines as encouragement.
And holding a phone, drinking coffee, eating a sandwich? Where will it end? How would a vigilante prove that - and prove who was driving?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's a green light for nosey Norris to supplement his income by grassing up fellow motorists.

PS I think the report was referring to vehicles idling whilst parked up not at traffic lights.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If other workers are entitled to min and max temperature working conditions why is a driver not entitled to them by leaving the engine running to maintain a decent working environment. Also people waiting to pick up their other half from the station in the winter, just because a train is cancelled and they have to sit waiting longer should they be punished and made to sit in a cold car ?

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And holding a phone, drinking coffee, eating a sandwich? Where will it end? How would a vigilante prove that - and prove who was driving?

They showed a guy in the US with his camera that makes a living from it. We already have one here in the U.K. that acts as a vigilante with drivers on mobile phones and bad parking :Eeek:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That's a green light for nosey Norris to supplement his income by grassing up fellow motorists.

PS I think the report was referring to vehicles idling whilst parked up not at traffic lights.

No , it also showed vehicles in traffic.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
;)
I guess drivers of turbo vehicles would have to remember to disable the 'Stop-Start' function then?

I'd like to think the makers of vehicles with stop-start programmed in the correct conditions for stopping.. I would have liked stop-start, I still recall waiting about 40 minutes in Dieppe in the blistering heat in a car without AC or stop/start.

The problem is that switching off and on a hot engine isn't such a great idea for heat cycling reasons as (the head does get quite hot for a while after as heat rises due to the pump stopping) but with stop-start it would never have got that hot so switching off would be fine.

My own view is that stop-start tech is something to go for when possible.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Frankly, I wouldn't want the hassle/delay/bureaucracy. Popular perhaps with the poor and cheapskates looking to make a few quid. Would they have to declare it and lose benefits or be taxed on their additional income?

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Frankly, I wouldn't want the hassle/delay/bureaucracy. Popular perhaps with the poor and cheapskates looking to make a few quid. Would they have to declare it and lose benefits or be taxed on their additional income?

I don’t like the idea , could soon end up with neighbours in conflict , as for folk declaring extra income I very much doubt most would.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The article in the link suggests it isn't a new law - simply more enforcement of an existing Act. It also says that enforcement will be by the LA - presumably by Traffic Wardens. It says you may be fined if you refuse to turn your engine off suggesting that you can wait until asked and in a final stupid statement says that some vehicles air conditioning will not work with the engine off. I've never seen one that will. So no real change and no news there then.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!. The most stupid thing about SWMBO`s new car is the "Eco-stop". I have found how to switch it OFF permanently, But she won`t let me do it!. So I now sit at trafiic lights and just keep moving the steering, that keeps it alive, you can actually switch it off,but it resets every time you re-start, putting the aircon on too by passes it. AND nothing worse than being stuck, waiting for a passenger on a cold wet day without heat!. When I was on the Lorries, at least we had recourse to the "Night Heater". Used to set the timer to come on 1/2hr before leaving, nice Toasty cab. ( Gaffer used to hate it!!.). 6am start, by 5.30 up to 12 lorries all warming up!.

Saw this guy on the T-V this morning, Taking pic`s on his phone, How lucky is he that he is not at the bottom of the Thames in concrete boots?, some of those "white van" drivers he was targeting where definitely NOT happy!.

This "Eco" Global warming idiocy has gone too far. The PIDDLING contribution of the UK, as opposed to Russia, China, India, Philippines et-al. not to mention the South Americans Burning an area the size of Wales every day?.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The article in the link suggests it isn't a new law - simply more enforcement of an existing Act. It also says that enforcement will be by the LA - presumably by Traffic Wardens. It says you may be fined if you refuse to turn your engine off suggesting that you can wait until asked and in a final stupid statement says that some vehicles air conditioning will not work with the engine off. I've never seen one that will. So no real change and no news there then.

I was not aware that it was in law and thought by posting others like me would become aware and yes it is an old law and one that will I believe be discussed in parliament in the light of the move for cleaner air.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
My own view is that stop-start tech is something to go for when possible.
Stop start was one reason why I got shot of my new automatic Citroen C4 Cactus after 6 weeks (4 weeks which were spent looking for something else). It wasn't possible to disable the S/S function. At a busy roundabout by the time the engine had started and drive engaged the gap had gone. Utterly dreadful car all round - too many issues to mention here.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!. The most stupid thing about SWMBO`s new car is the "Eco-stop". I have found how to switch it OFF permanently, But she won`t let me do it!. So I now sit at trafiic lights and just keep moving the steering, that keeps it alive, you can actually switch it off,but it resets every time you re-start, putting the aircon on too by passes it. AND nothing worse than being stuck, waiting for a passenger on a cold wet day without heat!. When I was on the Lorries, at least we had recourse to the "Night Heater". Used to set the timer to come on 1/2hr before leaving, nice Toasty cab. ( Gaffer used to hate it!!.). 6am start, by 5.30 up to 12 lorries all warming up!.

Saw this guy on the T-V this morning, Taking pic`s on his phone, How lucky is he that he is not at the bottom of the Thames in concrete boots?, some of those "white van" drivers he was targeting where definitely NOT happy!.

This "Eco" Global warming idiocy has gone too far. The PIDDLING contribution of the UK, as opposed to Russia, China, India, Philippines et-al. not to mention the South Americans Burning an area the size of Wales every day?.

Very true U.K. contribution to global emissions is around 2% I believe.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
They showed a guy in the US with his camera that makes a living from it. We already have one here in the U.K. that acts as a vigilante with drivers on mobile phones and bad parking :Eeek:

He’d have a field day here ! Parking fully on pavements is the norm and I was told by the police that it’s allowed as my road was made narrower, and the pavements wider, when it was constructed ( pre 1939) to allow for vehicles parking on the pavement. Was also told that if there were double yellows put in the road it wouldn’t apply to a car parked on the pavement.....
And when people call the police to report real crimes and they can’t attend ( too busy, lack of person power, whatever) what are they going to do about cars with idling engines?

If children were brought up to have a sense of responsibility to others, ( can’t think of the correct term, communal responsibility ? ) we wouldn’t need so many laws.

GPW

Free Member
Feb 23, 2019
Cambridge UK
Funster No
MH
Globescout Plus
Exp
Slight to minor!
Stop start was one reason why I got shot of my new automatic Citroen

A poor implementation of anything is hard to live with, from water heaters, doors, auto gearboxes and cruise controls etc - e.g: the BMW stop-starts I've seen in action at traffic lights didn't show any hesitation off the line. Perhaps combined with a mild hybrid drive take-off would be instant.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
I apply common sense. If I’m in either a car or motorhome and can see miles of stationary traffic up ahead, then I’ll switch off the engine. Invariably these days, hold ups where traffic suddenly comes to a halt, especially on motorways, is due to the inability of so-called intelligent drivers not leaving enough safe stopping distance between vehicles, causing increased pollution and unnecessary and pointless tailbacks.

Dec 24, 2014
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
A poor implementation of anything is hard to live with, from water heaters, doors, auto gearboxes and cruise controls etc - e.g: the BMW stop-starts I've seen in action at traffic lights didn't show any hesitation off the line. Perhaps combined with a mild hybrid drive take-off would be instant.
The Citroen was a very slow automated manual transmission. When it reached about 7mph pulling onto a roundabout it would change to 2nd gear, taking around 2 secs to do so and slowing slightly without any 'drive' happening whilst cars closing up on me on the roundabout hooted and flashed. One can't select to start in 2nd gear or indeed select any specific gear, just P, R, N or D.
Hateful car.

Reactions: GPW

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Before retirement putting a cold engine to work or shutting down a hot engine was one of the few sackable offences in my yard. I never shut down a hot engine, one of the reasons I have never had an engine go down, even after many hundreds of thousands of miles.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Citroen was a very slow automated manual transmission. When it reached about 7mph pulling onto a roundabout it would change to 2nd gear, taking around 2 secs to do so and slowing slightly without any 'drive' happening whilst cars closing up on me on the roundabout hooted and flashed. One can't select to start in 2nd gear or indeed select any specific gear, just P, R, N or D.
Hateful car.

Sounds like the Ducato 1st to 2nd hesitation.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back