Hundreds of new speed cameras to be installed in France (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Hundreds of new generation “speed cameras of the future” are to be installed in France this year, and have been described as stronger and smarter than existing models.

There will be 400 new cameras installed across the country in 2019, and three times’ that in 2020.

The news comes after minister for the interior Christophe Castaner confirmed that 75% of existing speed cameras in France had been destroyed or damaged since the start of the gilets jaunes protest movement and after the speed limit drop to 80 kph on certain roads.

This has cost an estimated €660 million, it was reported last week, and been linked to a 17% rise in road accident deaths in February this year.

Standing at four metres tall, the new “tower models (radars tourelles)” - whose official model name is the Mesta Fusion 2 - are deemed to be much more difficult to damage than their predecessors.

They can also pick up illegal overtaking, and dangerous driving practices such as tailgating, running a red light, and driving in a prohibited lane or area.

https://tinyurl.com/y2nwv6ro

Worth checking the video in the article to see how it all works!

Last edited:

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Can also detect no seat belts and phone usage ..... big brother is going to be watching you more closely ... but not as closely as in the UK

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Blimey!!!
I thought it was compulsory for ALL French drivers
to use their mobiles at all times

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
To be honest I'm finding it a country just to drive through. It may have been friendly to motorhomes once but it isn't now.
I've only been a week in the south of France and don't like it. Height barriers , no camoing car signs, high fuel cost , crap parking and to be honest as far as scenery and architecture goes it has nothing on Scotland. It's not even nice weather and don't start me on the so called French cuisine.

Nah you can keep it as far as I'm concerned .....I'll be out of it as soon as I can

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
No excuse for not spotting one.
Even if you spot one it is difficult to keep up with the ever-changing speed limits, at times the rational is incomprehensible. You come off a roundabout which had a 50 limit, onto a single carriageway that has a 90 limit for a few yards, then changes to 80 when the road widens. I got flashed twice last week, and both times I though I was within the limit. Plus they are so sneeky with them.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
To be honest I'm finding it a country just to drive through. It may have been friendly to motorhomes once but it isn't now.
I've only been a week in the south of France and don't like it. Height barriers , no camoing car signs, high fuel cost , crap parking and to be honest as far as scenery and architecture goes it has nothing on Scotland. It's not even nice weather and don't start me on the so called French cuisine.

Nah you can keep it as far as I'm concerned .....I'll be out of it as soon as I can

I agree about the south, I didn't much care for it ether but France is huge place and I found that with a little research there're some great places with fantastic scenery and I haven't experience any problems with not being motorhome friendly, its just a matter of doing your homework, rather like the UK, there are some great place and some s..t holes.
Same applies to the cuisine, there's tourist rubbish and then there's decent stuff. I wouldn't fancy a sausage off a street vendor in London but let me loose in my favourite little French cafe at Erquy and my mouth waters.

I thought the cuisine in Germany was limited and in Italy you were luck to get anything really good.

Having said all that, I think the cuisine in the UK had improved so much over the last few years, especially at the higher end, we are on par with the best in France and could probably give the Germans and Italians lessons. Can't comment on Spain, only been once the a hotel in Benidorm several years ago and the food was dire. I think that's where they coined the phrase, "To die for" because you if weren't bloody careful what choice you made you might very well just do that:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

It really is just that bottom bit that's s... , different country 30 miles north or west, much the same as trying to visit London here, it's ok for once but once is well enough.

fullfat

Free Member
Nov 27, 2017
The North
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Top Tip,
Everyone can change their plates to M100LHB when on French soil
He won't mind I'm sure ;)

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
France is awesome, culture, scenery, food but if you can’t afford it there’s always Spain, Italy, Greeca and several Balkan states.
So long as the cameras face the front of the vehicle I’m not too worried as I rarely speed in the moho and they won’t get a photo’ of the plate on my motorbike.........on which I have been known to go quite fast .lol.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
and been linked to a 17% rise in road accident deaths in February this year.
Just more old b/******oks. Tell you anything that suits them lying scum.

Plus they are so sneeky with them.
yes utter scum. should be necklaced.

Not that I speed ,much as I'd like to, but I'd just use number plate flippers for the odd time the scamming scum position them 'sneekily'. In the Uk I use jammers.
Perverting the course of justice ? No, how can it be when they are knowing ly employing people with criminal convictions.
Yes I just drive through France. If there was a way to exit Spain & bypass it I'd certainly use it.& that doesn't include being bored on a ferry.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
France is awesome, culture, scenery, food but if you can’t afford it there’s always Spain, Italy, Greeca and several Balkan states.
So long as the cameras face the front of the vehicle I’m not too worried as I rarely speed in the moho and they won’t get a photo’ of the plate on my motorbike.........on which I have been known to go quite fast .lol.
I'm failing to see the awesome.

I first visited France as a 19 year old in 1992 with 4 friends in my very first camper ...a 1973 vw pop top I had fond memories of that holiday and I didn't return to France till 2014 when I toured for 3 weeks with an ex partner ....I remember having told her how much I'd liked it 20 years before and how dissapointed I was when I returned ...it's quaintness had gone.

Then I travelled up West coast last year for 3 weeks on my return from Spain and doesn't like it.

I drove down through the middle in January to Spain this year and again I wasn't that impressed.

The Pyrenees mountains I drive through last week I liked but since hitting the south at perpognan and along the coast it's pretty flat too modern and very boring but that's just my opinion of it.

Maybe north and east bordering with Germany is better I don't know...But I guess I'm spoilt with the highlands of Scotland.

I've being doing what I usually do and Google an area beforehand to see points of interest and buildings etc as I like old architecture but from what comes up it isn't looking that great.
I'll check out marseille, nice and Monte Carlo if I can but it depends if I can get parked anywhere near them as I'm on foot then with dogs to visit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'll check out marseille, nice and Monte Carlo
I don't think Campers are allowed into Monte Carlo, not worth going anyway unless you like paying €10 or €20 for a coffee. Just all high rises only one small section of beach accessable to tourists who haven't got a few million to spare. Just a tax heaven for the rich.

You appear to be determined to visit all the worst places in France, no wonder you don't like France.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't think Campers are allowed into Monte Carlo, not worth going anyway unless you like paying €10 or €20 for a coffee. Just all high rises only one small section of beach accessable to tourists who haven't got a few million to spare. Just a tax heaven for the rich.

You appear to be determined to visit all the worst places in France, no wonder you don't like France.
Aye but there's a free daytime parking spot a 30 minute walk away apparently
Screenshot_20190405-193253_park4night.jpg

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Always thought they were sneaky liitle barstewards hiding those little black lumps so now well visible to those of us who slip up and miss the changeable limits being enforsed. After 20 years vacationing there we will give it a miss for the forseeable methinks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back