How to access all the energy I’m creating via solar and storing… (1 Viewer)

Jul 25, 2020
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 6617
Exp
Hi all you knowledgeable folk…

I bought a new Dethleffs Trend MH 18 months ago and to ensure I ‘never ran out of power’ I had a solar panel and second leisure battery fitted to give me the confidence that I’d have loads of power when off grid. For the first time since buying the MH we’ve been off grid in France for the last 2 weeks. My panel is showing I have continued 13.2V in my leisure batteries but I have no means of utilising it. Sure, I can leave the 12V lights on all day but I can’t charge my devices - iPhone, iPad etc. so to charge my phone I need to either run the engine or start the generator I carry with me. Seems crazy to me that I was able to buy a solar panel and extra leisure battery without being asked how I intend to use the extra energy generated and source but that’s Travelworld for you! I.e. I only have 3 pin, 240 volt sockets in the MH section which can’t use the electricity I’m storing. Any ideas on what I can do to enable me to charge phones etc. using the solar generated power? Thanks in advance…

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Same response from me - no USB sockets in the habitation area? we have 5 usb and one hella 12v socket (generally used for TV)

Another thing you could do to use your electric is buy inverter (connect direct to your battery) to run some 240 volt stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's hard to understand how you can be supplied a new motorhome in 2022 with no USB sockets, is there not even a 12 volt socket you could put a USB adapter in ? If there is you could buy the adapter at any garage, then when you get home I'd recommend getting a bank of USB's fitted

Upvote 0
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Our Peugeot boxer van originally had two 12v sockets on the dash but both were only live with the ignition on. I replaced one and rewired it via a fused supply direct to the vehicle battery.
Also fitted a small inverter fed from the leisure batteries for charging electric razor etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I am not surprised there are minimum usb 12v sockets the price of decent ones. My Rapido (2017)came with the 1usb 12v in cab and 1 usb in kitchen and 1 12v socket for telly and one 230v socket. Soon becomes obvious this is insuficient. Thanks for improvement threads by Techno , Lenny HB and Richard n Ann and advise from Raul . I now have 5 double USB sockets 5 12V and 230v sockets fixed ehu , invertor and a manualy switched one all fed from Cab or Hab lithium. Lithium controlled by BMV712 SOC and SSRs, power coming in via a votronics b2b 2 votronics mppt's and 550W solar. The cost of this is not insignificant but creates a useful van the way i want to use it. The minimal instalation of 100w solar switched mode and one or two sockets is to ilustrate what is possible not what you need. I remember looking at new vans with 2 gas rings an one electric ring and microwave thinking whats that for, i had never even concidered electric hook up.
Am i right in thinking the how to threads have/are dieing out. Do Techno and Lenny HB need to get new vans?

Upvote 0

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I am not surprised there are minimum usb 12v sockets the price of decent ones. My Rapido (2017)came with the 1usb 12v in cab and 1 usb in kitchen and 1 12v socket for telly and one 230v socket. Soon becomes obvious this is insuficient. Thanks for improvement threads by Techno , Lenny HB and Richard n Ann and advise from Raul . I now have 5 double USB sockets 5 12V and 230v sockets fixed ehu , invertor and a manualy switched one all fed from Cab or Hab lithium. Lithium controlled by BMV712 SOC and SSRs, power coming in via a votronics b2b 2 votronics mppt's and 550W solar. The cost of this is not insignificant but creates a useful van the way i want to use it. The minimal instalation of 100w solar switched mode and one or two sockets is to ilustrate what is possible not what you need. I remember looking at new vans with 2 gas rings an one electric ring and microwave thinking whats that for, i had never even concidered electric hook up.
Am i right in thinking the how to threads have/are dieing out. Do Techno and Lenny HB need to get new vans?
I’ve also got to put a vote of public thanks to Pausim, whose thread on installing a B2B with a relay to avoid a feedback loop was instrumental to me doing this successfully in our MH.

Staggered that you don’t have USBs, but as others have said, they’re easily installed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Where to next?
Jul 25, 2020
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 6617
Exp
Thanks all. I’m glad it’s not just me who found it strange. I do have a usb socket and cigarette lighter in the cab so can charge if I turn the ignition on but then I’m draining the cab battery not the leisure batteries. I’ll follow the threads that have been recommended and have a go at fitting a couple of usb sockets myself. Will also ask the dealer why in this day and age the van has 7 240v plug sockets yet no 12v?

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Thanks all. I’m glad it’s not just me who found it strange. I do have a usb socket and cigarette lighter in the cab so can charge if I turn the ignition on but then I’m draining the cab battery not the leisure batteries. I’ll follow the threads that have been recommended and have a go at fitting a couple of usb sockets myself. Will also ask the dealer why in this day and age the van has 7 240v plug sockets yet no 12v?
In this older thread, it was suggested that you probably have a 12v socket for the TV. If so, you can purchase simple adapters wherever you are, to give a couple of USB outlets.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2020
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autograph 69-2
Exp
Moved over to the Dark Side after 16 yrs tugging.
Is there a 12v cigarette lighter type outlet in the hab section? Usually used for TVs. You could get a twin usb adapter for that while you wait to fit some usb lights.
Like one of these
Amazon product ASIN B09J1ZZ737

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above I cant believe it comes with no USB or 12v sockets in the rear..
Are you certain there is not at least a Hella 12v socket in the back ?? , Look like a cigarette socket but smaller..

Attachments

• 12v-waterproof-din-hella-socket-12v-24v-compatible.jpg
    12v-waterproof-din-hella-socket-12v-24v-compatible.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Where to next?
Jul 25, 2020
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 6617
Exp
Yep. There’s a 12v tv power socket but I’m not sure at this stage if it’s just the plastic socket or if it actually has any wires connected to it. (Having it wired was probably another extra 😂). Once I’ve checked for power, the idea of a Hella adapter would be the easiest solution. Thanks Tonka. And thanks RBAnnie for the link. Once again, you’ve all been very helpful!

Upvote 0
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
We have 2 12V ciggie lighter type sockets, one used for the tv and the other really accessible in the roof over the foot of the over garage bed :rolleyes: we tried a double extension in this, we use it for John's CPAP but thought it would be handy for charging the phones, bitof advice don't use a cheap one unless you like searching for blown fuses.

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
I discovered one of these in the electrics overhead cupboard in our MH, it had been adapted to be hard wired in and the socket removed, we use it to charge phones up overnight, monitors the battery/power supply not that its needed with the EC 325 set up
1657964662044.png

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I’ve also got to put a vote of public thanks to Pausim, whose thread on installing a B2B with a relay to avoid a feedback loop was instrumental to me doing this successfully in our MH.
The cbe modification threads were vital to my b2b instalation. How could i have forgotten Pausim

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
7 240volt! Who needs that? We have 3 but that is plenty.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
You may find this video of use, minimal knowledge required

Upvote 0
May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Hi all you knowledgeable folk…

I bought a new Dethleffs Trend MH 18 months ago and to ensure I ‘never ran out of power’ I had a solar panel and second leisure battery fitted to give me the confidence that I’d have loads of power when off grid. For the first time since buying the MH we’ve been off grid in France for the last 2 weeks. My panel is showing I have continued 13.2V in my leisure batteries but I have no means of utilising it. Sure, I can leave the 12V lights on all day but I can’t charge my devices - iPhone, iPad etc. so to charge my phone I need to either run the engine or start the generator I carry with me. Seems crazy to me that I was able to buy a solar panel and extra leisure battery without being asked how I intend to use the extra energy generated and source but that’s Travelworld for you! I.e. I only have 3 pin, 240 volt sockets in the MH section which can’t use the electricity I’m storing. Any ideas on what I can do to enable me to charge phones etc. using the solar generated power? Thanks in advance…
I replaced my 4 spotlights in the lounge with lights that have a usb in the body. I got them off eBay we are now able to charge phones kindles and tablets.

Upvote 0
May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Why not turn your fridge from gas to battery. That will help your gas consumption by using your free stored electricity. I do this quite often when not on hookup. Of course this depends on your actual system & equipment.
You do need to keep an eye on the battery state of charge. A smart shunt is very helpful in this matter.
It should be easy to retrofit USB sockets & connect to the hab battery.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back