Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Hi Folks

Our Dethleffs Trend is proving to be a lovely MH but (there's always a "but") two things stand out at the moment which I really need to get sorted.

The first issue is that on the Fiat cab, the cigarette lighter socket and the USB socket next to it on the dashboard both require the ignition to be on before they work. This means we can only charge one phone at a time (VERY slowly, for some reason). We need to have the phones on charge both when driving and when stopped, as we work from the MH and need to use the phones and tablets while out and about.

The second issue is that there are no USB charging points anywhere else in the MH. There are a few 13 amp sockets strewn around the habitation area and I'd like to:

(a) change one of them so that it has two USB sockets rather than the 13 amp plug socket.
(b) have it "live" all the time so we can charge phones on the go.

Has anyone done this? Is it easy enough to do? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Chris

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Even If it's live all the time it will still charge slowly, get a high powered USB charger from Amazon to charge smart phones and tablets and connect to 12v in the hab area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Check your 12v socket for your tv if there is 1 link up a usb to there
Thanks - that's a good idea. There is a little recessed shelf under the TV which at the moment holds the remote for the TV. There is some space in there for a phone. Not sure whether we could get a tablet in there but that's a start.

Upvote 0

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Try looking for 13amp socket with usb on Amazon. But I suspect they will only work with the ignition on

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I've fitted 4 of these around my van - you just need to tap into a 12v feed -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Surfa...598726&hash=item4ada5b0055:g:nDwAAOSwPe1T64ga

They work fine and charge phones etc at a reasonable pace. Only thing I found with them is they have a blue LED inside them which would be annoying at night, but it's easy enough to open them up and snip that out. Or you could try this one:-

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
The thing to know about USB sockets is the Amps they use to charge, often the unit is sold as X.Xa charger, now bear in mind thats the total amps across both ports, so if you ar charging two apple devices it will charge very slowly, typically apple likes 2.1a all to itself per device, USB sockets can output anything from .5amps through to 3amps generally.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
Thanks, Folks, for the quick responses.

Try looking for 13amp socket with usb on Amazon. But I suspect they will only work with the ignition on
I just checked Amazon and came across this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00INW611Y
Sounds like something I could use for starters. However, the remaining issue is the fact that the cigarette lighter socket is only live with the ignition on. Is there a way around this - some sort of "fix" we can do or will that invalidate the cab warranty?

Upvote 0
Jun 1, 2016
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 4009
Exp
Since early 90's
I've fitted 4 of these around my van - you just need to tap into a 12v feed -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Surfa...598726&hash=item4ada5b0055:g:nDwAAOSwPe1T64ga

I personally fitted 3 of the above around the van onto the leisure battery circuit, I used the same housing and mounted a small rocker switch in the rear slope to enable me to turn of the power while stored, that way the minor drain of the LED has no bearing at all, they are real easy to do.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There are a few 13 amp sockets strewn around the habitation area and I'd like to:

(a) change one of them so that it has two USB sockets rather than the 13 amp plug socket.
I think you are confusing 12vdc and 230vac sockets.
13amp sockets are 230v mains sockets and only work on lookup or inverter. (Very inefficient for phone charging)
12v sockets are usually either 10amp or 15amp and are obviously 12v battery powered.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks, Folks, for the quick responses.

I just checked Amazon and came across this one:

Amazon product ASIN B00INW611Y
Sounds like something I could use for starters. However, the remaining issue is the fact that the cigarette lighter socket is only live with the ignition on. Is there a way around this - some sort of "fix" we can do or will that invalidate the cab warranty?
That's really not the best way to go - transforming 12v to 240v then back down to 5v for charging.
Without changing your cab wiring it won't work without the engine running anyway and this is sensible, as it stops you flattening your engine battery running things off it. As already suggested, the best solution is to fit USB sockets running off the leisure batteries. Either add new wires, fused and switched, from the batteries or find an existing feed for say the TV or lighting and tap into that. You shouldn't run into problems, if you are just charging phones, with the existing fuses.
Whether it is easy to do depends on if you are happy working on the 12 volt wiring. You will need to be able to connect spade connectors for example and use a multi-meter to find the supply and get the polarity right. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 5, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Newbies
Hi Folks

Our Dethleffs Trend is proving to be a lovely MH but (there's always a "but") two things stand out at the moment which I really need to get sorted.

The first issue is that on the Fiat cab, the cigarette lighter socket and the USB socket next to it on the dashboard both require the ignition to be on before they work. This means we can only charge one phone at a time (VERY slowly, for some reason). We need to have the phones on charge both when driving and when stopped, as we work from the MH and need to use the phones and tablets while out and about.

The second issue is that there are no USB charging points anywhere else in the MH. There are a few 13 amp sockets strewn around the habitation area and I'd like to:

Has anyone done this? Is it easy enough to do? Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Chris

Amazon product ASIN B01LEUWKUW

Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
IMG_4248.JPG
I have fitted a 240v C line socket and a twin USB to the bedside cabinet on either side of our Rapido. The scary bit was drilling the 35mm hole through the timber! The rear of the cabinet gives access to the underbed garage which gives access to the 240v and 12v (Leisure) fuse boxes. I have connected the 2 x 240v sockets into the ring main, and of course that is live when hooked up to the EHU. We plug twin USB adaptors into these to charge phones and tablets when on EHU. The twin USB C line sockets are on switched fused circuits from the 12V Leisure batteries and are "always on" when required. We use these for a USB digital clock on my side and to charge phones and tablets when not on EHU. Note the black tape! This is because I bought sockets with permanent blue LED, which unfortunately performs well as a night light, so I cover it with tape. I should have bought Ines with no LED. Note there is a drain on the USB sockets even when not being used, but fortunately the leisure batteries are trickle charged by solar panels in the roof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
View attachment 180099 I have fitted a 240v C line socket and a twin USB to the bedside cabinet on either side of our Rapido.

Hi there - this is EXACTLY what I'd love to do in mine. The two bedside "tables" lead straight down into the garage. In the garage I believe there is access to the leisure batteries but will need to go have a look. There should be 240v in there too but once again I'll need to check.

The scary bit was drilling the 35mm hole through the timber! The rear of the cabinet gives access to the underbed garage which gives access to the 240v and 12v (Leisure) fuse boxes.

There is absolutely no way I'm going to do that work myself. I am a completely useless handyman so I'll need to get someone to do the install for me.

I too have the solar panel fitted and will make sure that whatever I have fitted does not have the LED light on it. That would drive me nuts.

Thanks so much for your post. It has helped a great deal.

Cheers
Chris

Upvote 0

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Upvote 0

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Hi there - this is EXACTLY what I'd love to do in mine. The two bedside "tables" lead straight down into the garage. In the garage I believe there is access to the leisure batteries but will need to go have a look. There should be 240v in there too but once again I'll need to check.

There is absolutely no way I'm going to do that work myself. I am a completely useless handyman so I'll need to get someone to do the install for me.

I too have the solar panel fitted and will make sure that whatever I have fitted does not have the LED light on it. That would drive me nuts.

Thanks so much for your post. It has helped a great deal.

Cheers
Chris
There are a number of places you could go to get this done, but I can recommend VaBitz ( @eddievanbitz ) in Taunton for electrical work like this. You can stay over at Cornish Farm caravan site whilst the work is done, and they will even run you into town.
For further advice from this forum it is worth paying ÂŁ15 a year for a subscription. I've had loads of advice since joining.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kenwardc
Aug 6, 2017
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
Since 2017
There are a number of places you could go to get this done, but I can recommend VaBitz ( @eddievanbitz ) in Taunton for electrical work like this. You can stay over at Cornish Farm caravan site whilst the work is done, and they will even run you into town.
For further advice from this forum it is worth paying ÂŁ15 a year for a subscription. I've had loads of advice since joining.

That's the spot for me. I'm not sure whether they are at Malvern this week but if they are I'll chat to them there. Also looking for someone to install the iBoost and MiFi package for me so they may well do that too. I'll ask the question.

Many thanks again for your help with this.

I have paid the ÂŁ15 - is there somewhere I can check whether they have acknowledged that or not?

All the best
Chris

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That's the spot for me. I'm not sure whether they are at Malvern this week but if they are I'll chat to them there. Also looking for someone to install the iBoost and MiFi package for me so they may well do that too. I'll ask the question.

Many thanks again for your help with this.

I have paid the ÂŁ15 - is there somewhere I can check whether they have acknowledged that or not?

All the best
Chris
It says Funster under your username (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The way that FIAT powered the dashboard with no way of having a radio or anything else on without the ignition being on is a bloody disgrace. Too many people make excuses for them, but sadly they provide the underpinnings of lots of our motorhomes. So we're stuck with it & gotta make the best of a bad lot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anker-USB...212122&hash=item44026e109f:g:bRMAAOSwONBZAbO8
It doesn't have to be that way. The dealer who fitted our Kenwood radio/cd/sat nav took the feed from the leisure battery rather than the switched ignition on the engine battery. But that means that you have to be sure to switch it off when you don't need it.

Upvote 0
Jul 15, 2017
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 747
Exp
On our Fiat Ducato Cab we can turn on the radio without the ignition on by pressing the head units power knob, this also powers up the USB socket! Not sure if this is a new thing but definetly an improvement if by the sounds of it they never used to!

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The way that FIAT powered the dashboard with no way of having a radio or anything else on without the ignition being on is a bloody disgrace.

It's reasonable from FIAT's point of view as van makers - stops the local tradesman draining his engine battery by leaving things powered up.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
USB sockets never ever charge stuff up anywhere like as efficiently as a 12v plug, we just use the cab sockets (2 x 12v) for the sat nav and rear camera system, plugging them in as required - we found out the hard way that using a USB lead for the sat nav meant it didn't get enough juice to replace what was being used and it died on us at a most inopportune time! If we need to plug something else in the cab whilst driving we either remove one of the items we're charging already, or use a USB dual socket for a short while but more likely than not we just plug the item into one of the rear 12v sockets as fortunately ours stay live whilst we're travelling!

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know this goes against the grain of inverters and things, but we have found, we have phones that come with a "turbo"charger that plugs in to 240v and will charge them up in less than a couple of hours, whereas trying to charge them from an ordinary 12 volt socket takes all night or even more BUT if we plug the turbo charger into the inverter they charge up as quick as at home, I know all about useing more power and that but for us it works(y):)

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi. I'm surprised no-one has praised the mobile phone power banks that can be purchased easily these days. Keep it charged and it will get you out of trouble very quickly. Has done for me. Mike.;)

Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
I have fitted several double USB' s around the van the first I utilised the blanking cover just above the cup holders in lower centre of centre column of dash. This cover is clipped in place and easily popped out, drilled using a step drill to suit diameter of USB socket. Below I fitted an on/off rocker switch. It is very easy to then wire it to the vehicle battery and fit an inline 2 amp fuse. The drain on the vehicle battery is negligible (did similar with previous van)
IMG_5862.JPG
IMG_5864.JPG
IMG_5865.JPG

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
I use these,

Scosche USBC242M Dual 12W USB Car Charger from Amazon plugged into a four way 12v cigarette socket adapter

They're expensive, but they're the most powerful USB chargers I've found. They charge my Samsung tablet whilst it's being used with the GPS running. Have a single 12v socket wired to the leisure battery in addition to the ignition controlled one, and a single plug can be changed from vehicle battery whilst driving to leisure battery when stopped.

Simple and effective.

Malcolm

ps Unable to post Amazon link for some reason, goes to Amazon advert.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back