How long could you leave it ? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2015
notts
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
In Spain, my view for the next 3 days..
Think Ill have to say something?

20240328_172732.jpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I assume you refer to the flag being upsidedown.
Does it really matter, it's still recognisable the world over as the British flag.
It's getting as bad as the Americans practically saluting the stars and stripes every time they see it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How do you know Jim
Maybe like me they couldn't give a toss
oh but they did have something to say John ... and do 'give a toss' ..

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
You have wheels change the view

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I wish I’d never found out about the correct way to hang the Union Flag!

Then I wouldn’t have to look at EVERY flag I saw to check, and I wouldn’t ring a hotel to tell them they’de hung the flag upside down, speaking to a receptionist who couldn’t understand what I was talking about!

I saw a photo of Queen Camilla today at the Maundy Thursday Service, talking to a child that had an upside down flag on a stick - I bet she never even noticed - I on the other hand would not have been able to stop myself removing flag from child, turning flag the right way up, and returning it to child …. Lucky I’m not the Queen :rofl:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I haven’t started getting on my high horse about flags yet but there’s still time. I don’t want to add it to my “list” as it’s getting longer.

Here’s an example, My Dad was in the Royal Navy, he wasn’t in the navy, that was for Americans and no doubt any other country you could care to mention. Just like we have Royal Marines, Americans have marines. I’m sure they’re very good too but they’re not Royal. I have started getting very pernicketty about it and have to correct people!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I confess that I think anyone who flies a flag is a bit odd.

There are a few people who live near me who have huge flagpoles in their gardens and without exception they are weirdos.

Are there any members who live near Chris who would volunteer to stick a pole up in his garden with the French Tricolour on it?:devil::LOL:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!

There are a few people who live near me who have huge flagpoles in their gardens and without exception they are weirdos.
Hurrah, I'm on Chris' 'odd list'! :giggler: 'Weirdo' covers a lot... ::bigsmile:

I fly a flag quite often from my van. I had a stainless steel sectional flagpole made so that I can fix it to my towbar. OK, it does go with my van's theme, and it's often a 'lest we forget' flag on the pole, but quite often that is below the Union Jack. (Yes, you CAN call it the Union Jack even if it's not on a boat, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist. It's been approved to do so since the very early 1900s.)

I find it frustrating when people don't know which way up the flag should be. I find it annoying when people who should know, don't. When, for example, it's flown incorrectly on town flagpoles. My Mum's town council drive me up the wall for CONSTANTLY having incorrectly positioned flags on the three town flag poles. Or when people with historic military vehicles have the pennant upside down!
I also hate the plethora of massive flag masts at festivals, with the Union Jack in some weird colours, or halfway down the pole with other flags, pennants or banners above it, which is terrible flag etiquette.
I've been known to go and tell the manager of a motorway services that they were flying it upside down. (When I went home later in the day it was the right way up!)

With large flags there's really no excuse, since most have a toggle at the top, but lots of 5x3 flags just have loops or eyelets. I admit that I once accidentally put mine up the wrong way and had to hastily put it right!

To prove my weirdness to Chris (and others), here's my van in one of the few moments of sunshine between the pretty solid downpours which were the fate of the Royal International Air Tattoo last year:
DSC_5128-Edit-RIAT-lo-Jul23.jpg

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
I'm sure it says "Royal Marines Commando" on my should when at work and has done for th last 23yrs 7months

Also sure that I'm entitled to 1 and 1/2 man's rations onboard ship

But still happy to be called a "bootneck"

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I'm sure it says "Royal Marines Commando" on my should when at work and has done for th last 23yrs 7months

Also sure that I'm entitled to 1 and 1/2 man's rations onboard ship

But still happy to be called a "bootneck"
My grandfather was very proud to have been in the Royal Marines, and it was always 'Royal Marines' to him!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004

Weirdo owning up here. 😲
I put a pole up at home with either the union flag, the flag of St George or the Suffolk flag for specific days and events. I also fly various flags at rallies. It makes it easier to spot the van amongst the 100's of others at a Warners show.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The Royal Marine Commandos have their origins way back in 1664 but the Commandos only started in WW2 as an elite group. My Uncle Jack was one of the first who was unfortunately captured in Norway and finally murdered in Sachenhausen near the end of the war. I think those commandos evolved into the SAS and SBS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back